“Nice, clean and close to the airport” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Guatemala

You added Holiday Inn Guatemala to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Guatemala
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1a. Avenida 13 - 22 | Zona 10, Guatemala City 01010, Guatemala   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Guatemala City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice, clean and close to the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Place is nice. Is my 3 time on this place. Service is very good.. front desk and restaurant have a nice service... my complains are allways the same at this place....
1.- Internet is really slow,... 0.25mb/0.17mb..
2.- Breakfast is not include....

Room Tip: Upper floor are less noiser
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
oordonez, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear guest, we'd like to thank you for your recent visit and review of our hotel. We're glad the service was to your satisfaction. Regarding the internet service, we recently installed a new system and its still under observation. I will let management know about the breakfast issue. We hope to serve you again sometime in the near future.
Front Office Manager, Holiday Inn Guatemala

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Venice of America
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed there for two days with my family. The rooms are good and clean.It's in a good location,it's safe to walk at night and there are malls close to it.It's a good hotel for the price.The customer service and the food was ok.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
oordonez, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear AIMXXI, We thank you for taking the time to write a review, we're glad you enjoyed your stay and we'll work hard so that the service isn't only ok, but great next time.

Front Office manager,
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I started with small errors and just got worse from there. Overall the rooms weren't that bad, but a series of errors and missteps made our 4 night stay less than enjoyable.

First, when I arrived, there was a strong petroleum type smell in the lobby and 17th floor hallway. Then, the drawers had a strong mildew smell. I called for help and housekeeping did come to clean them, but the smell of mildew lingered.

Even on the 17th floor we could hear lots of street noise, not just cars and buses, but people (laughing, shouting, whatever) throughout the day and most of the night.

After our second day there, as we went down for a very average breakfast buffet, we noticed painters getting ready to paint our floor. We hadn't received any notice. When we got back to our room, the varnishing work had begun and about half an hour later we got a call from the front desk asking if we wanted to change rooms and they would give us an upgrade.

The hotel moved our bags while we where out (with our approval) to a "Junior Suite", which we found upon our arrival to have two twin beds. Who has twin beds in a junior suite?

We asked for a change and we were moved to another room, but again, strong petroleum smell in the halls, weird stains on the bathrooms walls, smells of smoke in the bathroom.

Staff didn't really seem interested, with the exception of Sally, the front desk ranged from indifferent to rude.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear dmcccr, First of all, I'd like to apologize on behalf of Holiday Inn Guatemala for all the inconveniences you experienced. We're going to look into what might have caused the odors and talk to the front desk staff so this won't happen again. Again, we're very sorry your stay wasn't pleasant and we hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again and the way you deserve it.

Front Office manager,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I had a terrible experience with the staff they made booking mistakes and they had a horrible actitud.
They have no tact or manners on how to deal with paying customers!
We will never go there again, no matter how beautiful the place is!!!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
oordonez, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Alejannddra, first of all, we thank you for your recent review regarding your experience in our hotel. We're sorry that your experience wasn't a pleasant one. We'd like to know if the staff in general had a bad attitude or if it was specifically one person/area. We will check with our reservations department to find out what happened with your booking. If you'd like to further comment on your experience, please write to: fdesk@hinn.com.gt

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again and give us a chance to correct our mistakes.

Front desk staff.
Holiday Inn, Guatemala
Mendoza
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The building is pretty old (about 20 years or more), but looks modern. It's on Zona 10, the financial and hotel area of the city, many malls are close to the hotel. The price was excellent regarding the quality of facility and the personnel always try to make you feel comfortable. transfer from and to the airport every 30 minutes guarantees you will always be on time for your flight. I've been in this hotel more than 10 times, and it has always been very good.

Room Tip: Rooms with view to La Reforma Av, are the best, the others face to a big building across the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
oordonez, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear D. Mendoza,

On behalf of the personnel of Holiday Inn Guatemala, we thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We´re glad our location works out for you, we take pride in being in the heart of the "Zona Viva" We will let the staff know you appreciate their effort in making your stay a comfortable one. We hope you come to Guatemala soon so we have the opportunity to serve you even better,

Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

No Holiday Inn in the U.S. can compare to this skyscraper with outdoor heated pool, glass-enclosed gym, and a balcony for volcano viewing. Although it suffers from 80s decor, it was amazingly close to shops, malls, authentic Guatemalan restaurants and in the posh Zone 10, safe enough to walk at night. The restaurant was bright and stark and boasted a couple of huge t.v.s so we passed it up for some local food next door. It was a bit noisy, even on the 17th floor, since the bathroom vent opened directly into the exterior wall, transmitting honking cabs at rush hour. A fine gift shop with very reasonable prices for local goods. Don't depend on the free shuttle to take you to the airport. Ours never showed up and we had to hail a cab.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and a high floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nan F
oordonez, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Nano: Thank you for your recent review of our property, We´re glad your stay for the most part was satisfactory. We understand that rush hour traffic can be very noisy.

Regarding our decor, we will let management know, recently we have been replacing furniture in every room beginning at the top and working our way down. We apologize our shuttle wasn´t there when you needed it, our schedule is for it to begin at 4 a.m. leaving every thirty minutes and concluding at 3 p.m., we will investigate what happened the day you checked out.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you in the near future and that next time you visit us your stay will be even better.

Best regards.
San Salvador
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

VERY NEGATIVE RATING OF THIS PLACE, SPECIALLY THE NIGHT TIME MANAGER.
Me and my wife live in Central America and have used this hotel lots of times over the last 15 years. Very clean, wonderful bed and good value for the money, but HORRIBLE service, at least on this visit.
Here is what happened: me and my wife came back from eating dinner at 9:30pm and before getting ready for bed, we decided to drink some decaf coffee, but the coffee machine took 30 minutes to make half a inch of coffee and the color didn't look right. I called the front desk and asked to bring another coffee machine. They sent someone from the maintenance to try fix it for 10 minutes, and he said it was fixed, but the coffee machine did the same thing. This review is not because I got a bad coffee machine, that can happen in any hotel, as I travel extensively with my job and not everything can be perfect all the time, but is about having to call twice for that, after they finally agree to bring another coffee maker. At this point, already passed 1 hour and half minutes since trying to make coffee, and is 11:50pm and me and my wife have a plane to catch at the morning. This should not have taken 2 hours. Now is where it gets worse: I finally had the coffee maker after one hour and half and five phone calls and on the 6th call I asked them to please send another bag of decaf coffee, because the broken machine had used the only bag that was here, and we don't like to drink caffeinated coffee this late at night. During the 6th call, I was told that they couldn't bring me any decaf coffee. They provide decaf and normal coffee in all the rooms in little bags for free, so I know they wouldn't run out, so I knew he was telling me a lie. Then, I asked to speak to the night time manager directly, because at this point had already been 1 hour and 45 minutes and still no coffee and nobody seems to want to help me. They put me on hold for a few minutes, and then told me the night time manager was too busy to talk to me. I said fine, I'm coming down to talk to him, it was almost midnight by this time and was something I didn't really want to do, but I wanted to tell the manager how bad of service I had with trying to get a couple of coffee for almost two hours. I found the security guy on my way down at the front desk and asked him for the night time manager's name, and he wrote down for me. His name is Armando Urizer. I went to the front desk and asked for the manager by name and told to the receptionist what I wanted to talk to Armando about. After waiting for 10 minutes, this is late at night and the hotel wasn't busy at all, I got tired of waiting and left, and came back to the room to write this post. Again, the manager's name is Armanado Urizer.
FYI: One hour and a half into this drama, I mentioned to the receptionist to just please send me two cups of coffee decaf from room service without cost if they didn't really want to deal with it, is not what I really wanted because I wanted coffee in the morning, but I give them that option and they decline. I thought this was a high class Holiday Inn hotel with international high standards, I had a better service in much cheaper hotel. Imagine that, the manager didn't want to talk to a guest that had a problem.

Howard Fluker