“Good Value”

Ranked #4 of 52 Guatemala City B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good Value”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I was visiting Guatemala City and Guatemala for my first time and I stayed with this hotel for one week. The staff helped us when we needed help. I thought the breakfast was good. I had some pleasant pool time. I am pretty picky about rooms, about cleaning, about the bathroom, about the furniture - and I am happy to report I was pleased with all aspects of my stay. If you are looking for sleek interior decorating in the most trendy colors - this place is not for you. If you are able to appreciate classic styles with dark wood furniture then you will be happy here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I've been staying at this property since 2002 (before it was Crowne Plaza) and have always enjoyed returning. It's my home away from home, and it's like returning to family. I appreciate how the staff is always making their utmost effort to meet my needs and always welcome me (and my family and friends) with a smile that really makes us feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Jinotepe, Carazo, Nicaragua
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I write this review for a two-night’s stay in two different rooms, one in fourth floor and other in fifth floor.
Service in front desk: deficient, slow and sometimes with false good manners. When I arrived I had to wait to make check-in because there was a long queue. When finally was my turn, they didn´t accept a previous payment arrangement with my company, because the hotel clerk responsible didn´t notified it to the front desk, so I had to prove them that this arrangement had been agreed. The front desk clerk only repeated, again and again, “I am so sorry for the inconvenient” but she didn´t do anything to resolve the problems or compensate for that.
Rooms: Outdated, stinky and in poor conditions. At beginning, I had a room in fourth floor. The room had a very noisy air conditioned, the furniture were deteriorated and so the phone and internet wires. There was an awful smell, maybe for moisture in carpet. The TV was definitely very old and with poor quality of image. The bathroom was in very poor conditions. The first night, after a strong complaint from me, they changed my room to one in fifth floor. That room was a little better than the previous one: the smell was good and the bathroom was in better shape.
Services: I have mixed feelings about the quality of services in general. In the good side, I have to recognize the great service in the restaurant. Despite breakfast buffet is just OK, all the waitresses gave an excellent service to customers and they were constantly trying to improve our experience. For the other hand, the internet service provided was not just terrible, but in occasions simply there was not internet service. The internet service was a little better in the fifth floor´s room. As I heard from some guests that strongly complaint at front desk, the bad internet services are recurrent in this hotel
Pros: great location, near airport and main city attractions. Great gym, very good casino and bar. Excellent services in restaurant.
Cons: Infrastructure and furniture outdated. Slow service at front desk. Internet service is very bad.

Room Tip: Rooms above 5th floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jose R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Jose R,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Best location in Guatemala city, building is old but well taken care of, front desk, room service and restaurant staff are highly motivated and focused on giving great service, they are all very kind. Hotel's personnel is their strength.
Breakfast was a large buffet, with made to order eggs, tons of fruit, different kinds of bread and cakes, typical food, excellent cofee and natural drinks, the restaurant is big and in great condition.
Rooms are clean, not big but well furnished, the TV is very old, big and outdated, air conditioning system was very loud and noisy.
Two things I didn't like at all, first the WiFi connection that was ridiculously bad and frustrating, can't think this kind of hotel still has service like this, no one would be able to work with such WiFi connection. Second is that a couple of times we found a lot of bodyguards in the parking basement, the kind of bad looking people that scares anyone.
I would think twice about returning to this place, specially on business.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank xelaju007
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear guest: Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Guatemala. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thanks for your feedback about your last experience at our hotel, it's so important for our team receive your comments. We are ready for your next stay with us and take the opportunity to greet you. We took your comments to improve new actions to satisfy your needs. It is good to know that our staff were friendly. We will make sure to work on it to give you a better service next time.

Please, don't hesitate to contact me if you need something else.

Revenue Manger/
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Since I had a very early flight departing GUA after a marvellous holiday in Antigua, I chose the Crowne Plaza.
The hotel felt faded and out of date and furniture in our room was chipped. But the proximity to the airport was very convenient and shuttle service started at 4am.
We ate at their restaurant Los Volcanoes and the food was pretty good though service was rather slow. We were also surprised to find out just after ordering that their buffet would be available in five minutes.
While it doesn't compare to other Crowne Plazas I have stayed in, it is fine for a brief sojourn. But I hate to say it but I wouldn't recommend it for a longer stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Mr. Blair YYZ, thank you so much for your great comments, certainly our hotel is under remodeling process looking forward to be The Place to be, and become a First Class Hotel, on the other hand our staff is doing a great job in service and attention that the stress of any remodeling process does not feel. Mr. Blair YYZ, thank again for your appreciated comments. It will be a real pleasure to serve you again with new remodeled ambiences.

Thanks for choosing Crowne Plaza!

Best Regards,

Revenue Manager/
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here for a night during a business trip. The service was pretty good. I asked for a quiet room, which they have an entire floor (7th) designated as quiet area. Things smelled: elevators, carpets, etc. The WiFi did not work at all for me, neither on my computer or phone (in the room or lobby). The fitness center looks nice and big, with a good view of the airport and city. The restaurant was fine, as was my room. Overall, this hotel is nice, but it is in great need of upgrading.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for the 7th floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear guest: Thank you for thinking about us for your stay. We appreciate your comments because that is how we can improve our service. We are ready for your next stay with us and take the opportunity to greet you. We took your comments to improve new actions to satisfy your needs. It is good to know that you enjoyed our gym. We will make sure to work on it to give you a better service next time. For the internet issue, we will make sure to work on it to give you a better service next time.

We are working in refreshing our bedding and rooms and soon we are posting new pictures online.

If you are planning another trip to Guatemala, please let me know.

Maria Josee Navarro Portillo,
Revenue Manager/ Groups and Conventions Manager
New York
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Stayed here for three nights during a business trip. The pros: the fitness center, which is on the top floor and overlooks the whole city (and has very decent equipment), the breakfast - included in the room rate and great choices, and the staff which was quite friendly and helpful.

The cons: rooms are relatively small, and overall hotel needs a refresh. Towels were ragged, there is no real lounge/bar to have another place to spend time outside of your room, and overall hotel had a distinct 'old hotel' smell.

Definitely more modern choices in Zone 10.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, March 4, 2014

Please, don't hesitate to contact me if you need something else.

Revenue Manger/