“Good for layover”

Ranked #4 of 53 Guatemala City B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Good for layover”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Since I had a very early flight departing GUA after a marvellous holiday in Antigua, I chose the Crowne Plaza.
The hotel felt faded and out of date and furniture in our room was chipped. But the proximity to the airport was very convenient and shuttle service started at 4am.
We ate at their restaurant Los Volcanoes and the food was pretty good though service was rather slow. We were also surprised to find out just after ordering that their buffet would be available in five minutes.
While it doesn't compare to other Crowne Plazas I have stayed in, it is fine for a brief sojourn. But I hate to say it but I wouldn't recommend it for a longer stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Mr. Blair YYZ, thank you so much for your great comments, certainly our hotel is under remodeling process looking forward to be The Place to be, and become a First Class Hotel, on the other hand our staff is doing a great job in service and attention that the stress of any remodeling process does not feel. Mr. Blair YYZ, thank again for your appreciated comments. It will be a real pleasure to serve you again with new remodeled ambiences.

Thanks for choosing Crowne Plaza!

Best Regards,

Revenue Manager/
Groups and Conventions Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here for a night during a business trip. The service was pretty good. I asked for a quiet room, which they have an entire floor (7th) designated as quiet area. Things smelled: elevators, carpets, etc. The WiFi did not work at all for me, neither on my computer or phone (in the room or lobby). The fitness center looks nice and big, with a good view of the airport and city. The restaurant was fine, as was my room. Overall, this hotel is nice, but it is in great need of upgrading.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for the 7th floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear guest: Thank you for thinking about us for your stay. We appreciate your comments because that is how we can improve our service. We are ready for your next stay with us and take the opportunity to greet you. We took your comments to improve new actions to satisfy your needs. It is good to know that you enjoyed our gym. We will make sure to work on it to give you a better service next time. For the internet issue, we will make sure to work on it to give you a better service next time.

We are working in refreshing our bedding and rooms and soon we are posting new pictures online.

If you are planning another trip to Guatemala, please let me know.

Maria Josee Navarro Portillo,
Revenue Manager/ Groups and Conventions Manager
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

Stayed here for three nights during a business trip. The pros: the fitness center, which is on the top floor and overlooks the whole city (and has very decent equipment), the breakfast - included in the room rate and great choices, and the staff which was quite friendly and helpful.

The cons: rooms are relatively small, and overall hotel needs a refresh. Towels were ragged, there is no real lounge/bar to have another place to spend time outside of your room, and overall hotel had a distinct 'old hotel' smell.

Definitely more modern choices in Zone 10.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear guest: Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Guatemala. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thanks for your feedback about your last experience at our hotel, it's so important for our team receive your comments. We are ready for your next stay with us and take the opportunity to greet you. We took your comments to improve new actions to satisfy your needs. It is good to know that our staff were friendly. We will make sure to work on it to give you a better service next time.

Please, don't hesitate to contact me if you need something else.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I am a Platinum member of the Intercontinental Ambassador program. I stayed in the Crowne Plaza Guatemala from February 18 to the 22. The attendant at the executive lobby was Mr. Edgar Armando Alvarez. I must commend Mr. Alvarez for his professionalism in the way he developed his job. He made me feel very appreciated and at home. Of course I will continue to stay at this hotel in my future trips to Guatemala.

Arturo Altamirano
Platinum Member No. 556-179-230
Miami, Florida USA

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Please, don't hesitate to contact me if you need something else. wWe hope see you here again!

Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

The personal service is great but the hotel is very old and the room carpet smells as wet. I request a room change and they gave me a room with out a desk were I could work, even though it wa in the Club floor.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear guest: Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Guatemala. I am pleased you did like the service staff. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thanks for your feedback about your last experience at our hotel, it's so important for our team receive your comments. We are ready for your next stay with us and take the opportunity to greet you. We took your comments to improve new actions to satisfy your needs. It is good to know that our staff were friendly. We will make sure to work on it to give you a better service next time.

Please, don't hesitate to contact me if you need something else. I'Welcome to your home, we hope see you here again!

Guatemala Department, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

I have 3 years going to this hotel and it's really comfortable, clean and secure. All the employes are friendly, the breakfast buffet is amazing, have all kind of food. Good location nearest of mall and the "zonal viva" where you find bars and many restaurants. Very recommended. Excellent choice.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Evega82
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear guest: Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Guatemala. I am pleased you did like the service staff and our food. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thanks for your feedback about your last experience at our hotel, it's so important for our team receive your comments.. We appreciate your comments because that is how we can improve our service. We are ready for your next stay with us and take the opportunity to greet you. We took your comments to improve new actions to satisfy your needs. It is good to know that our staff were friendly. We will make sure to work on it to give you a better service next time.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed in here 4 days, and one more night when I am back from Antigua.

It is in zona 13: good location, there are restaurants around the hotel, and It is close to the airport...

The stuff was friendly and helpful. The buffet was not bad at all.The glass elevator is interesting with city view. There is a nice gym at the top with view of airport and volcano view. The pool isn't much, the rooms are fine, but the view is great.

The hotel needs a facelift for sure, but over all, I was comfortable to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for higher level rooms with Volcano view....I stayed room # 511.I had outstanding view..
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

We hope you come back at your home!

Revenue Manager/