Barcelo Guatemala City
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed April 26, 2014

checked into the Barcelo for our last night after spending a great two weeks in Guatemala. I had stayed at la inmacculada on my first night in and it was absolutely lovely. We decided to stay here because it was $20 cheaper and close to the airport. Night and day. José at the front desk had no problem holding out check in back by 25 minutes because he couldn't find out reservation (even though I showed him my expedia email confirm and related booking numbers etc. right away). after finding the reservation he the. kept us waiting to confirm we had indeed prepayed the room despite it being clearly noted in the email. Admittedly, we had just flown in from Flores and were tired but common courtesy after such a long wait would be to follow up after giving us the key like I asked him to. we got to the room and everything was old and the bathroom had visible mold. To top it all off, we could hear the noise from a wedding downstairs until 1am.. Overall horrible experience.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank happystav
BarceloManager, Gerente at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Guest,
In Barceló Guatemala City hotel we make a great effort to fulfill our customers expectations. We are very sorry that during your stay you have suffered all these shortcomings.
Your review will help us to improve our service standards.
We hope to see you at our hotel again so we can offer our quality services beyond your expectations.
Best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,650)

Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Spacious rooms, comfortable beds. Simply perfect. The swimming pool is amazing. They have a free shuttle from and to the airport.
When you put the aircondidioning it doesn't feel like in the fridge like in most of the hotels where we stayed.
I would definitely choose Barceló again.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and facilities. Your review will help us to keep our high service standards. We hope to see you very soon in Barceló Guatemala.
Best regards,

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed in this hotel on two different nights. We spent our first night in Guatemala at this hotel and I was very impressed with its lobby and public areas. It is humongous, clean and very elegant. Check-in was a breeze, but I was a bit put off by so many male employees dressed in black with ear pieces and walkie talkies. I had booked a room with a balcony but we were upgraded and were given room 452 in the new tower. The king size bed was huge with plenty of nice, fluffy pillows. The bed itself was extremely comfortable and I had a good night's rest. I had read in other reviews about the noise level, but I didn't hear anything that kept me up. The room itself was clean, but nothing spectacular. I've stayed in many hotels and this room was no different than any other hotel room. The only thing different would be that they are very generous with the amenities in the bathroom. I couldn't get the lights to turn on, and no matter how many times I looked and tried, nothing was happening. I went out into the hall, and one of the housekeeping supervisors helped me with the lights. I didn't know that I had to slide the key unto a slot in the wall for the lights to turn on. I still don't understand the rationale behind this feature.

Our reservation included free wi-fi, which we didn't use the first night, and the breakfast in the morning. Breakfast was absolutely amazing. All the good reviews you read about their breakfast are true. We had a table outside and it was amazing. The made to order omelets were my favorite, but there's such a large food selection, it would be kind of hard to not find anything to eat. Since we were there only for one night, we didn't fully enjoy the hotel's facilities such as its pool, and dining venues.

Nobody can just walk in and catch an elevator up to the rooms. The room key given upon check in serves as an access key when you get on the elevator. I pushed the button to the 4th floor and nothing was happening, and I quickly realized that I needed to put my room key in the slot for the elevator to go up...nice.

Our second time staying at this hotel was our last night before flying back to the U.S. We used the hotel's parking lot to park my rented car. There were a couple of "men in black" one of them not having a clue what to do when I asked him if I had to pay for parking even though I was a guest at the hotel. When I asked him which way was it to the lobby, he had no idea and had to ask two other "men dressed in black" if that was the way to the reception area. He was an easy target for me, and I started teasing him. The poor young man thought he was in trouble, and it was his first day on the job. Parking is free for the guests. We went out for dinner and I had to sign the ticket and write down my room number upon leaving the lot.

We went through the same check in process, but this time I asked for a room with a balcony. We were given a room on the 3rd floor in the old tower which was equally pretty, albeit a bit older. Whoever designed the bathtub didn't know what they were thinking. It had a glass door, but you have to get in the tub to turn the faucet on, and once you're done showering, you actually have to get under the water stream to shut off the faucet. This is not good if you're a woman and don't want to get your hair wet. Even with a shower cap on your hair will get very wet. The bathroom had no wash cloths, and its door is a sliding door. Our room had two double beds with a balcony with absolutely no view. I hated it, but I did ask for a balcony. Our second reservation didn't include breakfast which was fine.

We used the wi-fi on our last night and it worked perfectly fine. I didn't have my laptop but was able to connect through my cell phone. I'm a bit confused about the internet, though. In many of the reviews, I've read that the hotel charges $10 per night for the internet, but with my two different reservations, the internet was free.Is it because I made the reservations directly on their website?

I was able to use their business center to print out my boarding pass, and I was very impressed at how clean it was. The polite young man helped me get hooked up to the internet and print out my boarding pass. There was coffee and delicious cookies for the guests to eat. They have a decent size gift shop with many pretty things to buy, but I just walked in and browsed around for a bit.

I highly recommend this hotel and when I return to Guatemala and have to stay in a hotel, this will be the one.

Room Tip: Room 452 in the new tower is right near the elevator and it has no nice view. The 3rd floor non smok...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nereida

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and for sharing your experience in Barceló Guatemala City Hotel, its always motivating to receive such appreciations from our guest. This will help us to keep our high service standards.
We hope to see you really soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed April 25, 2014

This is a good stay. The neighborhood is safe, the rooms are nice, large, and clean, and the breakfast buffet is pretty oustanding. We were here for two different nights. On the first one they upgraded us to a suite (very posh) and the second time was a regular room with two double beds. There is a good grocer just around the corner that is a good place to grab some easy and cheap food.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing the experience of staying at our hotel with the members of Tripadvisor. We are pleased to know that we have met your expectations regarding our services.
We hope to see you soon at Barcelo Guatemala City Hotel.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I spent a night there recently. The hotel has been updated and remodeled recently and it shows. The rooms are spacious, clean and well kept. The breakfast buffet is good and reasonably priced. The swimming pool is clean though it seem like it had a shortage of chairs. The hotel is usually pretty busy, it is conveniently located, it is only a few blocks away from La Zona Viva, where you can find nice places like Fontabella a very nice shopping center which offers a wide variety of restaurants. Though zona viva and Fontabella are both within walking distance this is Guatemala, people drive to travel one block, so if you want to do like the locals do, take a cab to Fotabella and then walk around zona viva where you can find Hard Rock Cafe for all you HRC fans! The hotel is a very good value for what if offers.

Room Tip: The rooms on the new tower are a bit nicer, though usually a bit more expensive. In any case it is w...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
BarceloManager, Gerente at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Francisco C,
Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and location. Your review will help us to keep our high service standards. We hope to see you very soon in Barceló Guatemala City.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed in the hotel few times, the rooms are clean and staff is happy to help you and friendly.
Breakfast buffet have a nice selection, fruits, breads eggs dishes and yogurt
I always feel very safe.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank MIRNA V

Dear Mirna V,
Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and staff. Its always motivating receive such appreciations from our guest. This will help us to keep our high service standards. Hope to see you soon in Guatemala.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Thank you in gate1, for the trip , the hotel was very good and the guide the best to explain everything, I will always travel with gate 1 because is very good and affordable, all the people on their trip are fun . till th enext time ......

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
BarceloManager, Channel Manager at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and facilities. Your comments will help us to keep improving our service standards. In order to exceed all your expectations in future stays.

We hope to see you soon in Barceló Guatemala City Hotel.