“Great hotel near the airport”

Barcelo Guatemala City
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Front desk service was just OK. Internet is $10/day extra and front desk was not helpful getting password to use it. Rooms are great, Restaurant staff is great. and it is only 5 - 10 minutes from airport. We stayed one night on our own and three nights with a bus tour group.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
BarceloManager, Channel Manager at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and facilities. Your comments will help us to keep improving our service standards. In order to exceed all your expectations in future stays.

Best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,729)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The hotel was nice, although I've stayed in other Barcelo hotels that offered higher quality of amenities. The room was small and the bathroom was extremely small. The shower door opened from the inside and it didn't have a good seal so the water leaked and the floor was soaked after 5 min. You have to turn the shower head to the wall, get in the shower then start the water.. doesn't sound complicated until you are in the position to take a shower. The food was average, nothing offered of the local cultural. Internet was not free. But it was in the city and I did feel safe. The staff were very professional and appeared to enjoy their job.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here on two different occasions on a recent trip to Guatemala City. The first stay we had a room on the 5th floor. The room was not near the elevator and was a much nicer room than the room we stayed in on our last day in Guatemala. Also, the first room had a little more space in it than the second room. During the second stay our room was right next to the elevator which was bad. We were on a lower floor during the second stay. It was a noisy stay and to top that the the people in the room right across the hall from ours were having a loud party. Men kept going in and out of the door and yelling in the hallway and the door was slamming shut. I called the front desk and reported the noise to them. They did send a security person up to our area and the noise level seemed to improve. I do believe that security spoke to persons in the room and then waited for a short time out in the hallway to listen in an attempt to see if the noise ceased. For their efforts the hotel is commended in responding so quickly to my complaint.
Rooms were clean and well appointed. Bathrooms are small. Towels, etc were good. Amenities were also good. Bathrooms were clean. The hair dryer in the second room in which we stayed did not work. When I called front desk to report this they immediately sent up a portable hair dryer for me to use. Lobby and dining room were well kept and clean. Staff are friendly and helpful. Our second stay in the Barcelo was only for one night.

Room Tip: Suggest getting a room away from elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My last visit to Guatemala was 5 years ago, and back in that time I stayed at the Holiday Inn Guatemala, which was a good choice.

I decided to visit some customers and took a 2 days trip to have some meetings over Guatemala City and wanted to try a different hotel.

I checked options and I finally decided to take Barceló GUatemala, why?. Because 3 main points:

1. Free transfer to/from airport.
2. Rate that includeds premium room and full buffet breakfast.
3. Infraestructure and location

I booked my stay directly through the hotel reservation office doing reference to TA rate ($95.00 USD + tax) that included premium accomodation and free buffet breakfast daily. I got my a friendly replay confirming my booking. I also gave my flight details to make sure I got transportation when arriving to Guatemala's Airport.

A nice Shuttle was waiting for all Barceló guests and after waiting just a coupple of minutes we were conducted to the hotel. When I arrived to the hotel, check in was fast and accurate. I felt really secure in the area and hotel security itself was very good as well.

Hotel infraesctructure is very well preserved and eventhough it is not a new hotel, everything was spotless clean and very nice. I did not know that this hotel used to be the Marriot Guatemala a few years back, but with Barcelo management was perfectly suitable for my needs.

I got a very nice corner room, with all amenities that a hotel of this level offers. Room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was very nice as well, bright, clean and fresh. Bed was heaven!. I slept like an angel really.

Breakfast buffet is really complete and you may also have it at the pool area. There is a handcraft and souvenir shop within the hotel which I found very useful for some gifts to my family. In general, lobby, reception, bar and all common hotel areas are very nice and spacious. There was an event at the convention center attached to the hotel, but there was enough space for all of us.

Me and other colegues walked to the Hard Rock cafe at night around 8 blocks away and eventhough later we were told it was not such a good idea, I never felt unsecure. There are a Mcdonalds and a Pizza Hut just around the corner. I tried the Sushi restaurant inside the hotel and I liked a lot, very nice food presentation and tasty japannese food.

Only downside of the hotel would be that the charge for Internet WIFI connection, and it is more the botter that you have to pay it extra that the cost itself (it was around $10 USD per day).

I was very happy to have chosen this hotel for my stay and I will take it again for my next visit and of course... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!.

Von voyage!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing the experience of staying at our hotel. We are pleased to know that we have met your expectations.
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Guatemala City to enjoy all the hotel services.

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at Hotel Barcelo, Guatemala City and enjoyed it very much. The food was really good and the service excellent with a very friendly and attentive staff.
We definitely qould stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here for three nights. Great property. It's very clean. The staff is extremely helpful and all speak English. You feel very safe. All the entrances are guarded. The pool area is lovely. Our stay included breakfast and let me say the buffet was OUTSTANDING. Great way to start the day. On the down side, the restaurants choices are not great (sports bar, Japanese restaurant, buffet which, while great for breakfast, wasn't as good for dinner) and the decor is a bit dated. However, these issues were more than compensated for by the great staff, comfortable beds and luxury amenities (bath robes, too). The rooms have roomy terraces with a clothes drying rack (always appreciated!). We would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the pool as it's a bit quieter; however, we had a room facing the road...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I spent a night here before a flight and was very happy with my stay. The rooms were large, they were clean, and they had a good offering of toiletries to forgetful travelers. The elegantly decorated lobby offered several options for dining and drinks as well as friendly, staff. Room delivered breakfast, which I selected the night before and hung on the door for collection (past the 1AM deadline I might add), showed up when I had requested, it was inexpensive, and most importantly, it was delicious. The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle to the airport which was timely and convenient. My stay was brief and as a result, I didn't get to sample all the hotel had to offer, however I would give this hotel my highest recommendation to travelers looking for a comfortable stay in Guatemala City.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
BarceloManager, Director Comercial at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and facilities. Your review will help us to keep our high service standards. We hope to see you very soon in Barceló Guatemala.
Best regards,