“$128 USD/Night Plus $10 USD Internet Fee”

Barcelo Guatemala City
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
California
“$128 USD/Night Plus $10 USD Internet Fee”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Crashed at the Barcelo & as any other Barcelo world wide goes, it's a good place and in a good neighborhood. The parking was an issue as I arrived at 2 am. I had to drive around the block to enter their parking lot (free of cost) as valet was not available at this hour... say what? A Barcelo in Latin America not offering this? Weird! The staff is helpful, the breakfast was superb-better than what the Westin offers. This is a hotel which I'll always return as it's easy to get in/out of the city and to/from the airport. Does the price match the quality... it would if I actually used the gym, pool, etc ;-) I usually just arrive to sleep & continue out of the city. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
BarceloManager, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this review, August 8, 2016
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and staff. Its always motivating receive such appreciations from our guest. This will helpfull to us to keep our high service standards. Hope to see you soon in Guatemala.
Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Madison, MS
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at the Barcelo on our last night in Guatemala before flying out the next day. The hotel is very nice and has a nice pool area adjacent to eating areas and a nice indoor basketball/soccer area besides a workout area with machines and weights. Most rooms seemed to have a balcony with table and chairs. We ate at the buffet for dinner and for breakfast and both offered a very nice variety of food items and also a variety of fruit juices. Although the hotel was very nice, we were still advised to not walk around that part of the city at night and, of course, to not drink water from the tap. There was only one elevator in service, so the wait was a little long. We used their complimentary airport shuttle service. Be sure to inquire the night before. We planned to take the 9:30am shuttle and didn't find out until that morning at breakfast that it wasn't running and that we'd have to take the 9:00am shuttle.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lori S
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and facilities. Your review will help us to keep our high service standards. We hope to see you very soon in Barceló Guatemala.
Best regards,
Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed over 6 nights at the Barcelo. The breakfast was included and it was wonderful. The staff were very helpful and the large heated pool was great. It is walking distance to the zoo, museums & a mall.

Room Tip: We stayed in several rooms. The balcony rooms are great watching the planes take off and land and s...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael H
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Was here on vacation, and had a great time. Front desk staff were wonderful. The wait staff in the Sports Bar were great as well. The decor seems a little dated. The rooms and common areas could use a little updating. The bathrooms were clean, and they offered a lot of amenities like a show horn, some toiletries, etc. If I come back to Guatemala City, i would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you hire a cab, get the persons phone number if you like him so you can use him again.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TimBoston
BarceloManager, Director Comercial at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this review, August 8, 2016
Costa Rica
Reviewed June 28, 2012

For logistical reasons I decided to stay in this property once more. I think this was not a good decision. Once more the airport shuttle was not there when I arrived although I made sure they had ALL my flight details. They confirmed the shuttle was going to be there. However, after 25 minutes wait, nothing. After checking in, I went to my room and decided to make some phone calls, the line was not activated. I called the operator and he explained to me that although I had left a cash deposit for incidentals, it was in US dollars, in order to be able to use the phone I had to leave a cash deposit in local currency. This was ODD for me. So when I went dons stairs again, I checked with the front desk and they said my cash deposit was good enough for phone calls. Contradictory and strange!! Next, as I had to attend various meetings outside the hotel, I had to exit and enter the hotel at least in three occasions during the day. The security person at the main door was blocking my access every time asking me "where are you going?". The first time made sense, the other two times, not so much. The service in the restaurant has not improved. When I went for breakfast, after 10 minutes that I sat down I decided to stand up and look for coffee because none of the waiters was coming to offer me coffee. Finally, the next day when I was going to check out, I called the front desk from my room and requested a bellboy with a cart to carry my luggage because I had a heavy box to carry. They said yes, the bellboy is going to your room right now. After waiting 20 minutes, nothing. So I had to struggle with all my luggage (including the box) to make it to the elevator and then to the front desk to check out. Bye, bye, Barcelo Guatemala!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear guest:

Thank you for you comments about your recent stay at our Hotel. We would like to express our most sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you may have had during your stay.
At Barcelo, we are committed in offering our guests the best service experience and go beyond their expectations and needs since one of our main goals is to reach full guest satisfaction.

We would truly appreciate the opportunity to serving you again and to ensure that the service you receive is as you deserve.

Kind regards,

Barcelo Guatemala
Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I'll keep it short and brief since there are so many reviews on here, but here is a quick overview:

Stayed here for 1 night on our way up to Antigua. This hotel is very secure, super nice and the pool area is right up there with many resorts.

The beds are a bit firm, but no problem for us tired Americans to get to bed at night!!

Room Tip: ask for a pool side view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
dallas
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Spent one evening at the Barcelo and enjoyed the stay. The airport is nearby yet quiet, plenty of shopping and eateries. The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business