“Very good for business travellers”

Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had a very good experience in the Radisson. It is very functional and quality of the food is high above average. Breakfast is really recommendable. My front desk experience was really pleasant and staff was trying to be as helpful as they could. Unfortunately no pool, just a hot tub.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This Radisson is convenient to the airport - 10-15 min drive with traffic, you can watch the planes take off from the rooftop terrace.

The area, Zona Viva, has a few big hotels and plenty of restaurants, but is unfortunately considered unsafe for walking around, especially after dark - apparently, this is the prime location for evening drug wars, and people have been robbed at gunpoint within blocks of this property. Unfortunately, that is a function of Guatemala city - just don't go anywhere at night!

As for the hotel itself.. It is an older property, and it shows. Pretty much everything except the room furniture and bedding is really old, and feels kind of dirty. I had a large double room for myself, comfy soft bed and plenty of space, theoretically non-smoking - but it smelled like someone has been smoking there years ago, and the carpet and curtains still carry the smell. The shower/tub is spacious, but overall it has that old feel - tile grout darkened with age, occasional cracked tile, dings on the mirror frames, etc. New large TV though. Room safe did not work. Common areas have new furniture, but retain overall old feel.

The restaurant is not particularly exciting, but the food was good - both breakfast and dinner. Breakfast selection was basic but sufficient for most people (i.e. eggs to order, bacon/potatoes/beans, couple types of cereal, fruit, yogurt). Fried plantains are delicious...

The gym was quite good, lots of cardio machines, and the large hot tub on the roof was nice too.

Service-wise - I did not have any problems, on the contrary - all the personnel has been friendly and professional.

I'd stay here again for a short overnight stay, but if I need to spend 3 days again, I'd probably try Westin Camino Real nearby. You tend to spend so much time in your room in Guatemala city stays - it needs to be a bit nicer!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is an ideal hotel for those flying in or out of the city. Free shuttle. Breakfast included. Walking distance to some excellent restaurants. Relatively safe. Our suite was room 701 on the north side of the building. It had an excellent king bed with a Sony flat screen TV. The bathroom door would not close never mind lock. The dead bolt did not function at all. The hotel's air conditioning unit was right outside the sitting room window and is loud. There is no TV in the sitting room. I asked that repairs be made and was assured that they would be fixed while we went to dinner. Nothing was done. The hotel is not a 4 star. Three at best. Do not accept rooms on floors 5 through 9 on the north side as the noise from the air conditioning unit will be bothersome.

Room Tip: Rooms on floors 5-9 on the north side will be noisy due to the air conditioning unit. All rooms are...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Timberbank26
Reviewed March 29, 2013

It seems that the Radisson hotel are saving money hiring low-profile people on the front desk service. In my last trip to Quito during 2012 I had a bad service in the front desk and now I had the same problem at Radisson Guatemala. The front desk attendants ignore the customers fooling around until the customers became despaired. I waited more than 10 minutes waiting for an attendant and, suddenly she decided to serve the customer that just arrived!... When I claimed that I arrived before she just ignored me!... Wow... I have to step up the level of my claim to be served... the problem is the employee never apologized nor feel any sorry, it shows a attitude problem. The hotel is nice, well located and the breakfast is also according to the standards, however the service has become below of the used Radisson standards... the last night before to leave, I asked at reception for a wake up call and they never called me, when I claimed that I never received such call they sworn me that they did it... mmmmhhh... mistake over mistake... if they forget it no problem, however if they did not called it is better to apologize to lie... at the end I know that they did not called...

Reviewed March 14, 2013

As a frequent Radisson customer, the Radisson used to be my favorite hotel in Guatemala City and I stayed there often. My most recent stay has changed my opinion.

To be fair, some aspects are still reasonably good.

The reception staff and airport transportation services remain good. The quality of the housekeeping in the rooms remains excellent. The free wi-fi is reasonably fast, although somewhat a little quirky in some places in the hotel.

Two big problems, however, prevent me from recommending the hotel in its current state of management.

First of all, the service in the restaurant and bar has deteriorated since my last visit. This is a shame because although the menus are limited, the food is reasonably good, although not memorable.

Forget about getting service in the 24 hour lobby bar unless you ask for it. The bar staff spend more time chatting among themselves than paying attention to the guests.

The main restaurant on the second floor is a little better, but it is obviously understaffed. As a result the service is inconsistent and inattentive, especially when there are more than just a few diners. After being ignored for almost a half-hour while hoping to order dessert and coffee, I finally gave up midway through my dinner, walked to the cashier, and asked for my bill. Nobody bothered to ask whether there was a problem.

Bad service in hotel restaurants is not news. However, fire safety problems are. This is the second reason why I would not recommend this hotel.

Although there are the required emergency exit maps in the rooms, they do not indicate the route to the emergency exit. There are no directional signs or lights in the halls and, at least on the 5th floor, the doors to the fire exits are not marked at all. This is a recipe for tragedy in the case of a fire or earthquake, when one would have to try one door after another (possibly in the dark) hoping to find the one that led to the emergency stairs.

Room Tip: The poor rating on rooms is due to safety issues. Check to make sure that you know where the fire e...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Monicap1402, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Please receive warm greetings from Radisson Hotel & Suites Guatemala City.

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.

Our goal is to fulfill 100% Guest Satisfaction to all our guests and customers.

Monica Palacios
Reservations Manager
reservaciones2@radissonguatemala.com
(502) 2421-5151

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Both times we stayed here in the past month, we were really pleased with our rooms....both comfortable and really nicely appointed! The location is great! The staff in the bar, restaurants and those who helped us with our luggage were very kind and helpful. Some of those who work at the front desk area were as well. However, Radisson might want to offer some public relations and effective communication hints to some of the women who work at the front desk. One of them was extremely rude to us when we arrived for our first stay and was the only person who made our stay slightly unpleasant. Also, want to thank reservations manager, Monica Palacios, who came to our rescue. ..always with a smile!

Room Tip: Room 403 was beautifully appointed with a gorgeous bathroom!
Reviewed March 4, 2013

What can one say about rude staff? How about “inexcusable”? We returned to the Radisson, having booked our reservation when we stayed there 10 days earlier. Not only had they cancelled our reservation, they were unapologetic about it. The woman at the front desk said, “We don’t have a room for you because we cancelled your reservation, and Guatemala City is completely booked today because of a big Convention.” It was not merely our cancelled reservation, but the attitude of the staff (this woman and another male front desk worker). They didn’t seem to care that we arrived on time, and loaded with luggage. They did not OFFER to help. Perhaps they got a better offer or a bribe and gave our room away! The two kind bellman tried to help us out, and eventually on our own we found a great guesthouse. From someone who travels often, this Radisson gets a big thumbs down!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Monicap1402, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time on sending us your comments.

We regret to hear about your disappointment in the room you received. We attempt to fulfill each of our guest’s requests to the best of our ability. Prior to your next stay, we welcome you to contact us so we may discuss your accommodations in detail.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Mónica Palacios