“Rooms are great, staff is friendly.”

The Westin Camino Real Guatemala
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francis
“Rooms are great, staff is friendly.”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Stayed there with my wife for a weekend using my Spg points. They immediately upgraded us to an executive suite, which was much more elegant than their counterparts in US. Staff was friendly and they have sent fruit baskets etc. to our room.

Overall very nice hotel, good location, friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Guest!!

Thank you for taking the time of writing this nice review of our hotel.
It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board as it always motivating to receive such appreciation form our guests.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
San José, Costa Rica
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have stayed several times at this hotel. The good news is that the renovation is starting to show, the bad news is that attention to detail in the rooms is still lacking: the safe deposit box was located in the middle of the hanging space, ate up the useable part of the closed. New flat screens are being installed, however the old wooden cupboard is the same and since the screen was placed deep inside, the viewing angle is really narrow. Finallly, my all-time complaint with this hotel rooms: no free AC outlets for the desk, all are taken by the ethernet swith, full of blinking lights, lamp and TV. I must recognize that front desk service has improved substantially, as in the italian restaurant.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.
It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to get better every day, we are sorry for the inconvenient you had in your visit, this comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits.

I will take the liberty to share your comment in order to get better.

Vancouver
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I frequently stay at the Westin chain, but didn't have super high hopes for the Westin in Guatemala City. I have travelled extensively in Guatemala and frankly, service standards are not where the North American traveller is used to.

I called the hotel from Canada to see about getting picked up at the airport. I was happy to be able to speak to an English speaking person as my Spanish is not quite good enough yet. We arranged the complimentary shuttle pick up and although I was over 45 minuted delayed in my arrival, the driver was waiting for me with a smile.

This set the tone for the next days of my stay, I found while not all the staff were English speaking (and I woud never expect them to be) many were, and all staff were friendly and helpful.

The room was in keeping Westin standards, and very nice. I visited the gym, which was much nicer than I expected, the photos on the website do not do it justice. It is a full size gym, complete with separate yoga room and refills on water (bring your own bottle for free refills!)
Outside there is a lovely pool and hot tob, as well as a small bar and poolside service.

The area is the hotel is located in is called Zone 10, and one of the nicer areas of Guatemala to walk around a bit, with some good restaurants and shops.

The only downside was the free internet available in the lobby did not work very well...although I didn't pay for the in room service which may have been better.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised and will visit the hotel again my next time through the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tanya1111
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for a such amazing comment about us.
It always a pleasant to receive such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Good location in zona viva and very secure. We booked this for the pool but didn't end up using it due to a busy schedule. For 2 of 3 nights we were on the club floor and would definitely recommend that upgrade. The beds were wonderful and the room was pretty, although small. Open-wall-type shower that drives me crazy, but otherwise clean and nice. Breakfast on the club floor is included and was simple but good with a small buffet of hot food and cereal, rolls, yogurt, fruit. Room service food was not good and when we commented on the dried out cake there was no apology or offer to adjust the charge. Staff didn't know the answers to several of our questions, and overall it didn't have the welcoming feel we were hoping for. Doubt we would stay again.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CityLakeGirl
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this review, April 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time of writing this nice review of our hotel.
It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to get better everyday, we are sorry for the inconvenient you had in your visit, this comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits.

I will take the liberty to share your comment in order to get better.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed 5 nights at the Westin Camino Real. The breakfast buffet was excellent with fresh squeezed juice and lots of fresh fruit as well as omelettes and special local dishes each day. The room was large with a "heavenly" bed, exquisite sheets, and a good assortment of pillows. The lobby and services were great, with several nice shops and restaurants on site. On my last day, I had to depart at 4:40 a.m. The hotel provided juice and coffee in the lobby. The hotel also provides free shuttle service.

I didn't try the spa and heated pool but they looked tempting.

Room Tip: My room, 455, overlooked the main entry and was opposite the ice machine. At times it was a bit noi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for a such amazing comment about us.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed at the Westin Camino Real during holy week again this year. I stay there at least twice a year and am never disappointed with the quality of the service nor with the hotel property itself. The staff at reception are friendly and they remember me. The hotel lobby is beautiful with lots of marble and you always see someone cleaning. There is a coffee maker in the room (I always take my own tea bags) and one night I spilled tea on my linens, it was after 10pm but the woman from housekeeping came and changed the sheets and was smiling and laughing with us. I don't like the new showers that much because it's inevitable that you get water on the floor since the door only covers half of them. They are beautiful but not practical. I found out one of the general managers has been working for the hotel for over 40 years! Where are you going to find that type of experience? If you stay on the club floor there is a nice breakfast available for you and computers in the lounge as well so you don't have to pay for internet access. Just down the street from the hotel is a small shop where you can buy beverages and snacks etc. and they are open 24 hours a day. Remember that Guatemala is a very Roman Catholic country and if you travel during holy week (the week before Easter) then starting on Thursday the banks will be closed, many of the restaurants will be closed and the Oakland Mall looks pretty dead. Most American tourists will want to go into Antiqua for the processions, or to Zone 1. I have done that before and didn't want the bother with the crowds and traffic. I found a small church in zone 10 that had a children's procession. With some assistance from adults the children carry the "anda" themselves, they have groups of boys, then groups of girls and they switch out every block or so. The children are adorable and so well behaved. I was the only American there and felt as though I was seeing the true heart of the country.

Room Tip: I prefer a view of the pool but that is just my preference. The other view would be of the front of...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest!!

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stayed at InterContinental next door for almost a month, so decided to moved here for change of environment.

I Stayed for 4 nights in the club floor, room has limited view over the city and swimming pool. As a Starwood Preferred Guest member, I was very happy with the service and the hotel room( a bit small compared to the InterContinental next door). The staff were friendly, and there were many facilities at the excecutive floor such free acess internet, food and beverages. Not bad at all. The breakfast was good enough but can be better at the executive lounge

Excellent swimming pool and gym facilities.

Overall, I was pleased and will stay here again(second choice) when I return to GT.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank klein_carmichael
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit in our hotel.

It always a pleasant to receive such comments which help us to be a better hotel everyday, we are so sorry for the inconvenient you had in your visit, we apoly for this situations your comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits.