See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 14, 2017 via mobile

I love a good hostel, but this hostel exceeded my expectations! I was only in Guatemala City for a few days, but the owner went out of his way to call and schedule shuttles for me to go to activities (he offered his assistance here), he was kind to help me find a place to exchange my money, and even as I was LEAVING the hostel, he walked me to where I needed to go afterwards to make sure I arrived safely! The staff was friendly (not to mention the delicious breakfasts provided in the morning), it was a safe and quiet environment, and I felt completely cared for. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hostel!

Date of stay: January 2017
Reviewed September 2, 2016

We had an excellent experience at La Coperacha. The room was comfortable, clean, safe and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious! I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Guatemala City.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2016

We were there at the beginning of April. We were in leaving for Tikal next day. Since we called for the booking we got such excellent service. On arrival they were so kind and made usfeel at home. Lucien helped with our traveling planning. The place is very clean and cozy We are returning there with the family. Highly recommended

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2016 via mobile

I was super happy with my stay at La Coperacha. The room was full of light, spacious, and clean. Lucien and his wife made me feel welcome from the first, inviting me along on their walk to the market during which they oriented me to the area and gave me very clear directions complete with map. I found them both a real pleasure to talk to. Not only did they let me check in early but they also made me feel quite welcome to keep my bag there and even make a little food after I checked out while waiting for my other travel companions. I did not have the least bit concern for safety during my stay. Will definitely stay again. Thanks guys!

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2015

This is the best experience that I have had renting a room in my life and with over 2 million miles on airlines I have rented more than a few.

It is correctly advertised as a hostel but way, way nice. I rented a private room with with shared bath facilities. It cost $11 per night. There are a couple private rooms. The current price for them is $18 per night.

The hosts were attentive to my needs in the extreme. Coperacha, local for cooperative, is a small place with rooms for guests. It is quiet, clean, friendly and, at $11 per night, essentially free. I was rather quickly a part of a family. Hosts provided more than advertised. The guests chipped in with things that others might like. E.g. I brought poinsettias back from Mass while another guest, Tony carried home food that the group shared.

Guatemala in general, and Guatemala City in particular, are dangerous. The hosts have trusted taxi drivers whom you can use if you wish to de-risk local travel. Guatemala is also among my favorite places in the world. I will return, and if my travels include the City, I will take a room here.

If you are looking for an incredibly inexpensive, clean, safe room, the ability to work via Internet, hosts who want to please you and who are determined that you have a safe visit this is it. If you want breath-taking amenities, the best wine, staff dressed in fancy suits, and photos from President Obama's stay - book the Bangalore Leela Palace.

Room tip: Private rooms are good. Another guest is staying in a room with private bath and views in multiple directions.
Date of stay: December 2015