See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed April 16, 2016

We were there at the beginning of April. We were in leaving for Tikal next day. Since we called for the booking we got such excellent service. On arrival they were so kind and made usfeel at home. Lucien helped with our traveling planning. The place is very clean and cozy We are returning there with the family. Highly recommended

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2016 via mobile

I was super happy with my stay at La Coperacha. The room was full of light, spacious, and clean. Lucien and his wife made me feel welcome from the first, inviting me along on their walk to the market during which they oriented me to the area and gave me very clear directions complete with map. I found them both a real pleasure to talk to. Not only did they let me check in early but they also made me feel quite welcome to keep my bag there and even make a little food after I checked out while waiting for my other travel companions. I did not have the least bit concern for safety during my stay. Will definitely stay again. Thanks guys!

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2015

This is the best experience that I have had renting a room in my life and with over 2 million miles on airlines I have rented more than a few.

It is correctly advertised as a hostel but way, way nice. I rented a private room with with shared bath facilities. It cost $11 per night. There are a couple private rooms. The current price for them is $18 per night.

The hosts were attentive to my needs in the extreme. Coperacha, local for cooperative, is a small place with rooms for guests. It is quiet, clean, friendly and, at $11 per night, essentially free. I was rather quickly a part of a family. Hosts provided more than advertised. The guests chipped in with things that others might like. E.g. I brought poinsettias back from Mass while another guest, Tony carried home food that the group shared.

Guatemala in general, and Guatemala City in particular, are dangerous. The hosts have trusted taxi drivers whom you can use if you wish to de-risk local travel. Guatemala is also among my favorite places in the world. I will return, and if my travels include the City, I will take a room here.

If you are looking for an incredibly inexpensive, clean, safe room, the ability to work via Internet, hosts who want to please you and who are determined that you have a safe visit this is it. If you want breath-taking amenities, the best wine, staff dressed in fancy suits, and photos from President Obama's stay - book the Bangalore Leela Palace.

Room tip: Private rooms are good. Another guest is staying in a room with private bath and views in multiple directions.
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2015

Whenever I fly to Guatemala City I stay at La Coperacha. There is nothing outstanding about it but it is a comfortable, secure and dependable place to spend a night for about US $12. Breakfast and WiFi are included. The host, Lucien, is a bit different but you can be assured that he will take good care of you. Ask him to send a taxi to the airport (or bus station) to pick you up unless you are very familiar with the public transportation system there. The $10-15 taxi service is worth it, especially if you are travelling with lots of luggage. The hostel is clean and showers are hot. It is located in a relatively nice area and one can easily walk to the City Center and the huge City market.

Room tip: There is not much difference among the rooms - they are all comfortable and quiet.
Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2015 via mobile

Started with sending an email with some questions and got a reply with answering only half of our questions. After this he started to get pushy if we could please confirm. At the time we were still doubting about which area to stay (next to the airport or in the city), so we told him that. Day after we made up our mind and asked is the room was still available. Turned out that it was so we responded that we would like to make the reservation and asked for a conformation. He responded with the confirmation. The next morning (day of leaving to Guatemala City!) we got an email saying he is full, without any reason. First thought this might be a misunderstanding so we tried to explain that we had a reservation and he confirmed it. Got a very inappropriate and just rude email back.

So be very careful in communicating with this place and guy (Lucien).

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank huppelbas