“Pushy, patronising staff”
Review of Quetzalroo

Quetzalroo
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Unfortunately, we had a similar experience to Jalopy42 below. Although we were not shouted at, we felt constantly patronised during our stay (luckily of one night only).

As soon as we arrived, we were asked why we were only staying one night, where we were going next, how did we intend to get there etc. When I said that we would be getting a local bus to Coban, we were asked why we wanted to go there, what time would we be going and told that there were only buses at 3am and 4am so we would be best to take their recommended tourist shuttle bus.

Of course, this was completely incorrect information and Monja Blanca coaches leave every 30 minutes from the Centra Norte terminal (approx. Q80 taxi ride away), direct to Coban. I know this because we took the bus ourselves, on a comfy coach for Q60 each - a fraction of the price of the tourist shuttle bus.

I tried to ignore the inquisitive nature of the first member of staff, until we were interrupted in the evening by another member of staff asking 'where are you going tomorrow?' We were taken aback, as it was completely out of the blue as he fired constant questions at us, yet again, telling us we would have to go at 3am or 4am. I informed him that this was not the case and he quizzed us on why we wanted to go to Coban, saying that 'everyone goes to Semuc'.

We were of course fully aware of the fact that 'everyone goes to Semuc' and very frustrated at feeling the need to justify ourselves to both members of staff who seemed to be picking at anything we said to trip up just to sell us tickets to their shuttle buses and ensure that we stayed in the hostels they recommended.

After travelling around Central America for nearly 5 months, we are fully capable of finding our own method of transport and accommodation and were fed up of being patronised. Unfortunately, as I tried to end the conversation he was very persistent saying 'let me know if you need any recommendations', but it was clear that we were not interested.

Later on, he persistently asked another traveller what her plans were and as soon as she mentioned a vague idea of studying Spanish, he told her she must meet with him the next morning to discuss the various schools in Xela, even though she hadn't even heard of Xela!

The rooms were clean but this was the highest price we've paid for a private room with a shared bathroom in Central America, and the pushy staff made us feel uncomfortable right from the start.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Colite1990

Reviewed February 4, 2014

From the staff responses I've read already, I know I'm going to get a rebuke saying I'm making this all up to serve some obscure personal agenda, but I need to share my opinion anyhow in the hopes that others will avoid accidentally falling into this trap of weird 3rd grade social humiliation attempts. I know they are rated highly in a lot of places, but please read the bad reviews and notice that they're all about some family members being weirdly mean for no apparent reason. The rest of the staff we met were really friendly and helpful, but in our experience with the owners' son Marcos, once you pay, if you question anything he thinks you should do, he immediately starts yelling in front of everyone and trying to bet you money for who's right (literally: BETS). Dude goes from zero to mouth foam in 1 second flat. This happened to me at least 3 times in like 12 hrs, and at least twice I had to say "I'm not interested in fighting with you, Marcos." I hate arguing, and I'm a friendly traveler who tries really hard to be conscientious, but he was acting so sketchily and aggressively and it felt like he was trying to force us into doing things we didn't want to do. It really felt like we were in middle school being bullied. ex: Before telling us how much the hostel was per night, he asked us how much we had paid the time before... Is it not a set rate? were we supposed to haggle?? Then he got super angry because we thought we remembered it being cheaper. Then he told he was going to test our Spanish and yelled at us for like 5 mins in Spanish about not tipping him for the "free" shuttle. Note to everyone: shuttle is not free! Perhaps you should either charge for the shuttle or include it in rm rates, or ask or remind people instead of passive-aggressively berating people about it later and hoping they can't understand you. Anyhow, this is the only time in Guatemala that anyone has been so rude and unhelpful and the only place I wouldn't return to. Oh! And it was so bad, this is actually my first review ever of any place.

• Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank Jalopy42
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We had a great last night of our honeymoon in Guatemala while staying at this hostel. Marcos was a wonderful host. He picked us up and dropped us off at the airport and showed us a great night in town. He's very knowledgable about the city and history. The city is thriving and should be part of anyone's trip to Guatemala. We only wish we could have spent a little more time here. - Luke

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I stayed at Quetzalroo for 7 nights/8 days and it was the best hostel I've stayed at thus far. Marcos (the owner) and his sister Isabel were amazing!!! The staff were also extremely friendly and very helpful when I misplaced a pair of shoes and a t-shirt. This hostel is a great place to learn if your interested. Marcos has a great collection of documentaries that detail Guatemala's history and the current issues the country still faces. He is very knowledgeable and is quite passionate about spreading the history of Guatemala to those who are willing to listen. He and other members of the staff lead a walking tour that takes you around to all of the important sites in the city. I didn't seize the opportunity to go on the walking tour and I truly regret it. I felt like I was apart of a family when I stayed here. Marcos has a great way of uniting the hostel for those who are traveling alone. They often cook meals at the hostel or organize a dinner out for those who are interested. You must stay here, it's the best!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Marcos and Isabel make visitors feel welcome with frequent group dinners and as much information about the city and the rest of Guatemala as you could wish. The pair are highly knowledgeable and passionate about their country. Both speak excellent English and Spanish. They provide free shuttles to and from the airport and the major bus terminals.

The hostel is located in a converted condominium in the ritzy Zona 10. Take a taxi or request a pick up because it's hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for.

The rooms are clean, there's a family room for watching tv or documentaries, and the showers have hot water. Prices are high compared to the rest of Guatemala, but they're good for the city.

Guatemala City is worth seeing for a few days and Quetzalroo will put your visit off to a good start.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Lovely introduction to our first night in Guatemala. Marcos picked us up from the airport, accompanied by his pet dog! Rooms are basic, but clean and comfortable. Hostel is in it's own gated compound, so very safe. Breakfast of fruit, toast, homemade jam and coffee very tasty. Marcos was very helpful with information about places to see in Guatemala, and helping us sort our travel arrangements.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Well I wish I'd stayed there. I was at another hostel in the city "La Coperacha" but wished I'd stayed here. I actually took a cab over to Quezalroo because I felt disclocated and sorta "without" at La Coperacha. Although the mamager at La Coperacha was successful at booking me an early morning trip to Honduras he was rather disengaged from his guest. But back to Quetzalroo. I will leave the Coperacha review for THAT area. I was standing at the gate of Quetzalroo and I think Isabela and William happended to be coming up the street. I told them that I was not a guest of their hostel but heard through Tripadvisor that they knew the ins and outs of Guate. They invited me upstairs to see what they could do. Boy it felt like coming to a family atmosphere. There were people in the lounge area watching tv while others were being helped at the dining table with travel plans. The owners asked me if Id like to try an empinada and a soup their mother made.....talk about YUM-ME! So although I cant speak to the sleeping quarters or noise level I can tell you you'd feel safe , at home and welcomed at this hostel. Im sending all my friends here. This IS the place to start when entering Guatemala. You wont be sorry.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo