Quetzalroo
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$160
$134
$114
$97
  • Restaurant
Clarion Suites Guatemala(Guatemala City)
$99
$90
$100
$118
$88
Barcelo Guatemala City(Guatemala City)
$99
$130
Travelocity
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Grand Tikal Futura Hotel(Guatemala City)
$97
$91
Dai Nonni Hotel(Guatemala City)
$64
Hotels.com
All reviewsbike tourhomemade jamshis motherfamily run hosteltravel plansdelicious coffeethe financial districtguatemalan historyguate cityfelt like homefree breakfastguatemala triplake atitlanfelt safean early flightclose to the airportsafe area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was disappointed with Quetzalroo. I opted for this hostel based on the many positive reviews, and the free airport pick up and drop off. I had one night in Guate before heading to Antigua and thought this would be a good, easy option. I was able to make a last minute reservation with Marcos through email which was very helpful - but did not think to ask how much the bed in a dorm would cost. When I arrived I found out the cost is 145 Q for a dorm bed; excessive for what this hostal offers. The free ride from the airport is offset, and then some, with the exorbitant room prices. When I diplomatically expressed surprise at the cost, Marcos was extremely defensive and condescending. In the end I opted for private room for 200 Q which did not even have its own bathroom; the walls were thin and you can hear everything that is going on in the rest of the hostel. Marcos was short tempered and rude with me; I was told I could not get a drop off to the airport the morning at the time I wanted (8:30 am) because there was no one else who wanted to go at that time. I was also told that there would be no shuttles at the airport at the time I wanted to go to Antigua (around 9 am) and that if there were I would have to pay double because it was the 31 of December. This was a blatant lie. Shuttles are running as normal today from the airport; at regular prices. This hostel may work for young, inexperienced travellers who are nervous about doing things on their own and need guidance; but the mature traveler is likely to be disappointed. I would not recommend Quetzalroo,

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tribeofjosef
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Incredibly helpful and encouraging staff at the hostel. they offer great tours and tips for Guatemala city and tis surrounding volcanoes. the rooms were good and the facilities were clean and also good.
good location, close to the airport with shuttle services

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here for the first time in the end of august while leaving Guatemala. It is well worth the money, Cheap and clean and the staff is vey friendly. Located just a short drive from the airport it is an exellent place to stay when arriving late/leaving early. I came in with a bus to the center and they pick you up at the bustations and also include transport to the ariport. It all went so well even if the driver was running a bit late because of traffick. They had my phonenumber and kept me informed. Also arranged for me to get som pizza delivered because I came in late.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Quetzalroo meets all of your basic requirements in terms of rooms, beds, bathrooms, breakfast and wifi. Where it excels is in its excellent customer service and the enthusiasm the owners have for showing visitors both Guatemala City and Guatemala in both an honest and positive light. Many people told me I was crazy to stay even one night in GC however after the hostel's excellent city tour I felt it was time very well spent. We were impressed by the passion and generosity of the hostel staff and would highly recommend spending a night or two at this hostel and making time for a city tour (the airport shuttle service is also very helpful!).

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hostel was very disappointing especially after reading such good reviews. I emailed to book a room but didn't get a response so I rang and was told that a private room would be booked for me and to ring them when I arrived to get the free lift. After an 18 hour bus ride from Managua I rang the hostel and was told they had no such booking and all the rooms were full. The owner then remembered my call and apologised for forgetting to book the room. It was midnight and we didn't have much choice other than stay in a dorm. The dorms are ridiculously overpriced for what they are (even with the small discount we received for the stuff up) - the mattress protector makes it very squeaky and the top bunk is slanted so you're restricted to one side of the bed. I appreciate that the owner apologised and acknowledged the fact he stuffed up as well as offering us a discount and Marcus was great the next morning with telling us lots of info about where to go in Guatemala. Even so the dorms are certainly not worth it for the price and the breakfast is very basic. They sound as though they have been in the business for a while so to make a mistake such as forgetting to write down a phone booking is inexcusable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nell188
ManuelRomeroCloseQR, Owner at Quetzalroo, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Hello travelers. I really want to apologise for forgetting to book you in. Thanks for writing this review

Manu