“What convenience for a great price!”
Review of Quetzalroo

Quetzalroo
Reviewed December 16, 2011

To get an airport or bus station pick up, comfortable/clean accommodations, excellent wi-fi internet, delicious coffee (any time of day/night), delicious/fresh/healthy breakfast & ride to the bus station/airport for only $15 is an amazing deal! It would probably be enough even if the hosts weren't such fun, down-to-earth people who simply love what they do & showing off their home to any who care to check it out. It felt like staying with friends more than renting accommodations. Can't recommend Quetzalroo enough!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 16, 2011

I worked with Manuel (one of the owners of Quetzalroo) and he set me up with my most unforgettable backpacking experience yet.

He was incredibly knowledgeable, kind, and efficient in setting me up. I only had a few days to spare in Guatemala to backpack and many people had all recommended to me their must sees. Manuel told me I could not miss Semuc Champey...and was he right. I was torn in making the decision so I busted out my handy Lonely Planet and found only one sentence on Semuc. I was intrigued by his enthusiasm and so I gave him the little bit of time I had to set me up with transport and accomodation (Zephyr Lodge) the BEST! I almost didn't come back, I had been to Guate several times and I have never seen anything so beautiful.

Everything went off without a hitch, and I had an absolute unforgettable few days thanks to Manuel. We corresponded through email and phone and he never kept me in the dark or waiting. This guy knows and loves his country and will make sure you reach the ends of the earth and see some of the most beautiful off the grid Guate has to offer. Enjoy the capital and enjoy Quetzalroo! Can't wait for my return.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I met the owner, Manuel, in Quetzaltenango while he was promoting the hostel, and the night before my flight I chose to take a risk and stay in a hostel for the first time in my life. What a great risk that was!

I had been told that the capital was utterly forgettable, if not downright dangerous, so I skipped the capital arriving in Guatemala. However, before my return flight, I found that nothing could be further than the truth.

The $15/Q120 for a dorm seemed expensive at first (especially by Guatemalan standards), but after spending the night, I found out what a great deal that is. They have pick up and drop off service from anywhere in the capital--they even told me where to get off the chicken bus arriving in Guate, and had safe drop off service to the Airport at any time of day. The Peligroso Tour was a great introduction to the capital and to Guatemala's history and culture, even for someone who'd already been in the country for 3 months, and at $5/Q40, was a bargain.

Breakfast with local coffee and fruit, and toast with homemade jam was included in the price, and the hostel was immaculate--hidden away in an office tower in the financial district in Zona 10, a very safe and secure location, with hot water, and super clean. Manuel, the owner, was great--he recommended a good restaurant with a deal for hostel guests, and even went out with a group of us for a fun night out in la Zona Viva on a Wednesday--with the hostel van providing free, safe transportation. The other guests came from all over the world and were an endless source of great conversation.

All in all, it was a great decision to stay at Quetzalroo. I would recommend it to any traveler to Guatemala for any reason, from backpackers and business students to business travelers looking to keep to a budget and trying to stay in a fun, safe location. I can't wait for my next trip to Guate and to use Quetzalroo as a launching point for a great experience.

Room Tip: The private rooms cost the same per person for a group of 2+ and are a great deal
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We were told about this place from another great place we were staying~Earth Lodge in Antigua. Unfortunately we were only able to stay in the Capital one night... The owner and his brother were great hosts! They shuttled us for free to and from the hostel and to dinner and desert. I really appreciated their kindness and hospitality! We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: we were in a private room, super cozy bed and quite. we were up in door 8.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Last spring I traveled Guatemala and it was an amazing experience. The country is breathtakingly beautiful, the people are friendly and full of life and there is an enduring history and culture. Having said that the trip was riddled with catastrophes from my boyfriend being hospitalized from dehydration to our flight home being cancelled because a volcano erupted. Had it not been for Manuel, Jodi and Nicha at Quetzalroo things could have gone sour. It can often be scary and stressful to have a crisis in a foreign country where you don't speak the language. This Quetzalroo team went absolutely out of their way to help us out through our various adventures. They are the type of people who have such positive and infectious attitudes towards life that you can't help but start to feel positive no matter the circumstance. I will always remember Quetzalroo and the extraordinary people we met there.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2011

It's now two months after I finished, a four month trip around Guatemala and South America and it has been niggling away at the back of my mind to write this review, to say in some small way thank you for the best hostel experience of my entire travels.

Quetzalroo is the only hostel I will be taking the time to review from my entire trip because, without doubt, it is different. Most hostels are beds for you to explore amazing surroundings, but Quetzalroo is what makes the experience of Guatemala City amazing, rather than a place most people expect to pass straight on through (which is a great mistake). The great time to be had at Quetzalroo is thanks to Manuel and his fantastic staff who make such an effort to meet your every need, take you around the city, ensure your safety and help you plan a fantastic trip around Guatemala!!!!

Thank you Manuel and all at Quetzalroo for a start to my trip which was better than I had wished for! See you next summer!!!

Sam

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2011

We only stayed one night at Quetzalroo, but two incidents occurred that absolutely blew our mind. Here you go:

1. The owner overhears about a problem we had with Amigos Hostel in Flores. We bought first-class seats on a Dorado bus and ended up with last-class seats on a crappier bus line, meaning they essentially stole 100Q from us. Manuel, the Quetzalroo owner, knows the owner at Amigo and said he wanted to call. Said he recommends Amigos to his guests, so he feels a responsibility to take care of any problems like this. It ended up being a big fight with the owner of Amigos, but from what I could tell, Manuel basically told him to fix this now. The other owner agreed to return the 100Q and promised not to do the bus-switcharoo again. Seriously, in three straight years of travel, I have never seen anyone fight so hard for us to correct a mistake another hostel made!

2. I could not believe how well they treated the loudest, rudest older gentleman that arrived to look at rooms. Quetzalroo offers free bus and airport pickup and dropoff, and this guy called from the airport asking if they had room and if they could pick him up. Roo sends the shuttle, brings him back and then the guy (who shouted everything) complains that the street noise is too loud. We are in Guatemala City, not Lake Atitlan, and it wasn't loud at all, but he's from Wisconsin and I'm from NYC, so there you go. He decided he wanted to find another hostel. Roo said the shuttle was free only for people who stayed at the hostel, so they needed to charge him something small for the gas and time if he wasn't going to stay. The man said no way, he wouldn't pay, and the hostel nicely said okay. He then asked about other hostels, but we are in Zone 10, and there is only one other place. Manuel calls, makes sure they have room, and they gives him the address. He then asks if the guy wants him to call a taxi. The man says no, he wants to walk there. Manuel tries to discourage him -- an older American man walking the streets of Guatemala with all his luggage is not safe, even in the upscale Zone 10. The man refuses, says he will walk. So even though this guy just screwed Roo on the ride from the airport, Manuel says he will have his shuttle take the man to the other hostel free of charge. Later, when we asked Manuel about it, he basically said what is it really to lose a few bucks to ensure another man's safety. Couldn't believe it!

Okay, here is the rest of the deal. Only two hostels in Zone 10, both cost the same for a private room ($35, dorms obviously much cheaper), but only Roo has the pickups. And ours sucked. Got us at the bus station at 6am and then drove us at 4:50am the next morning for our early international flight out. Also, our room has a terrace, nice bed, lots of room, etc. Shared bathroom though, but it wasn't bad.

Manuel also tries to include everyone in everything. Had a pro boxer staying there and fighting to qualify for the Guatemalan Olympic team, and everyone was invited to the fight. Later, wanted to go the market, so he invited us to join, took us around and even brought us to his favorite spot for local food and helped us pick what to order. On the way, gave us a mini-tour of the area. We didn't bring camera, so got another guy to take photos of me and my girlfriend and send to us via facebook. The guy is a seriously crazy awesome host.

Lastly, the place has free coffee, and Manuel springs for the good s***! This stuff was awesome! This stuff is super expensive in the US, and while much cheaper in Guatemala of course, we are talking on the upper price end of what you can find in the supermarket. We actually bought a small bag for $8 in Duty Free at the airport, and this is what he buys for the guests. Can buy bags of crap coffee for a dollar or two, so he's paying a lot more to make his guests happy.

We bad experiences with Amigos in Flores and El Retiro in Lanquin, but that is partly because you have volunteers basically running the place. Manuel shows what a difference it makes when the owner is actually running the show and protecting his investment by making all the guests feel welcome and happy.

Zone 10 is near the airport, it's the safest part of town, and it has all the awesome restaurants, shopping and nightlife. This is the area of town to stay, ABSOLUTELY, and Quetzalroo is your best bet for an affordable accommodation.

On one hand, I hope Lonely Planet finds out about this place and makes it an "Our Pick," just hope an LP plug doesn't ruin this place like it does so many others.

Room Tip: Book private room in advance
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple