“They went above and beyond for us”
Review of Quetzalroo

Quetzalroo
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
“They went above and beyond for us”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

My husband and I only stayed for one night, but we got the impression that this is a very nice place to stay. The service they gave us was great- when my husband's flight was delayed, Manuel stayed up with me until midnight to pick him up at the airport. He also got us to the bus station on time in the morning. We will certainly be using Quetzalroo for any further stays in Guate!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Quakermaid99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Manuel & his sister Anna both experienced backpackers know what travellers want & they go out of their way to deliver it! Manuel was brilliant at helping us figure out our itinery for our Guatemalan adventure. The hostel is in zona 10 perfect for restaurants & nightlife. Best coffee & toast(real bread!! The 1st in 6 months)with homemade mango jam. A Great hostel!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Tinaparn
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This is a great hostel, no doubt. But what makes it truly outstanding is that it allows you to experience all the good things that are going on in Guatemala City. Manuel and Frankie are gracious hosts and drivers, providing transportation and tours of the city. The hostel is also tapped into the volunteer community and cultural happenings in the city. I went on a tour of Caminos Seguros, this awesome non-profit that's dedicated to helping the children and women that pick the recyclable materials out of the city's landfill. If you're there on a Thursday morning, I highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Utila, Honduras
Reviewed June 19, 2011

After 4 months of travelling I have to say this was the best hostel bar none, from the friendly welcome to the helpful advice, sorting out flights and all the pick-ups and drop-offs to and from bus stations. I stayed here twice, before & after a trip to Semuc Champey and I would not stay anywhere else in Guatemala City.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I stayed at Quetzalroo 3 times while flying in and out of Guatemala City and I would never stay anywhere else. I was picked up at the airport and brought to the hostel, I was helped with my bags and felt completely safe. The hostel itself is so warm, open, and relaxed, a perfect place to stay one night or to spend some time in the city. Manuel, the hostel owner, made me feel right at home and helped me figure out which bus I should take to Xela, then in the morning he drove me to the bus station and waited until I got my bus ticket before leaving. The whole experience was remarkably wonderful, I would 100% recommend this hostel and I look forward to returning!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2011

The family that run this hostel are beautiful people and I totally recommend you go stay with them in Guatemala City. I was bit worried about go to stay with my girlfriend in Guatemala City as I had heard so many remarks about how dangerous it could be. From the moment I called up to make the booking with Manuel they were so helpful, offering to pick us up upon arrival. We were in the city to try and extend our visas and they were so helpful they they not only showed us a delicious restaurant for lunch but also one of the brothers took us to the embassy. The rooms are clean and very spacious. For breaky I enjoyed a taste of home and was so excited to have some Veggiemite. Home away for Home!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Getting into the airport in Guatemala City can get overwhelming. Thankfully, my friend and I had booked a room at Quetzalroo. As soon as we picked up our backpacks, we encountered Frankie, who was holding a sign with both our names. Had we booked at a 5 star hotel?! No, only better: a 5 star hostel! :)

Location: the hostel is located in Zone 10, which is the safest and most alive place in the city! There's a ton of places to visit around and Manuel, the owner, will gladly give you recommendations or even give you a ride down to the best restaurants!

Price: for 15$, you get to stay in a beautiful and clean room, get awesome breakfast (perfect coffee!), free WiFi and free computer use, a ton of travel guides and pamphlets at your disposition, a kitchen with fridge and lounge area AND free transport to & from the hostel.

But what makes Quetzalroo unique is its owner, Manuel. I've never seen an owner so dedicated to making sure his guests are at ease and are please with their visit in the city. He'll draw you a map with the best locations in the country, he'll give you tips to travel safely or he'll invite you to join a few guests for supper. Having traveled in many amazing hostels in Europe, I can recognize the good from the bad. Quetzalroo is up there, with some of the best hostels I've ever been too.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends