“Professional Staff, Clean Rooms, and Great Food.”

Hostal Guatefriend's
Reviewed February 3, 2011

Showed up late and in the rain because of a airline delay, and Anna was more than helpful in easing my aggravation. Joe had delicious warm drinks that we were not expecting and were not accustomed to waiting for us when we arrived. The beds were clean and smelled fresh. The colors of the rooms and decor really gave me a feeling of the culture that I was to embark upon the next week of business. Anna was able to find ne anything I needed in the area and Joe and Anna were able to furnish everything I needed to stay in contact with Corporate. Excellent understanding of what it takes to make it in the business world. Will definitely visit when in the area again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed February 1, 2011

Joe and Anna were lovely people. they couldn't do enough to make my stay happy. The food was wonderful and I had many 'menu' conversations with Joe. I will even try to grow a few fruits when I am back home due to his knowledge. Their children were a delight, and my trip to the zoo with Angelo was a beautiful day out. If I ever return to Guatemala I will definitely stay with Joe and Ana.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We (~25yrs) stayed at Guatefriends after arriving in Guatemala City late at night. We had friends who picked us up at the airport, so that we didn't need the offered shuttle. But I am sure it wouldn't have been a problem for Joe and Ana either.
We really enjoyed our first night in Guate, meeting such friendly and sympatic people. The atmosphere was familiar. The rooms were clean and sufficient. For breakfast we had a good cup of coffee and oatmeal.

To sum it up: Our vacation started very well. We hope to come back some time.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I spent two months at Guatefriend's in the summer of 2009, and have only wonderful memories from my time there. Joe and Ana are extremely warm and welcoming and treated me like a member of their family. Joe is an incredible chef and always made the most incredible desserts from scratch. Ana has all the info you could possibly need about Guatemala and she was always more than willing to help me make phone-calls or deal with any challenges that came with living and working in Guatemala City. The rooms are comfortable and the living room is always an open space for people to hang out and get to know each other. Honestly, the Frankies are people I will always hold dear to my heart and I know that I will be back at Guatefriend's whenever I'm back in Guatemala City. I would definitely recommend staying here if you're on your way to Guatemala!!!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Joe and Ana were really great and helpful, but this is a very expensive hostel. While they do offer an airport shuttle, none of the meals or beverages are included in the expensive rate for a bed here. The food is nothing short of amazing, but you're going to pay for it! It's a bit of a shock after traveling around Guatemala and receiving a free breakfast and water at many locations, which is why I find an issue with Guatefriends. In my opinion things could be a little cleaner and it could be ran in a little more organized fashion, but with two young kids, Joe and Ana have their work cut out for them. FYI-Hot water was not to be found upstairs, but downstairs it seemed to work just fine. I'd definitely recommend this place, but just beware of the high price you're paying for meals & a bed here.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
guatefriends, Owner at Hostal Guatefriend's, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2011

$18USD a night is expensive? Breakfast is included. This is not a hostel, it's a B&B. (Hostal, not "hostel" in Spanish is Bed & Breakfast.) Our food is not inexpensive. 80% of the ingredients use in our preparation are imported from more than 20 countries. It costs, and we know that. It is the option of the guest whether or not they wish to have lunch, and dinner with us. Our complete menu is available on our website, and in our B&B. Perhaps the pilot light was out on our gas heater for the water. The guest made no comment about this.

Reviewed January 17, 2011

This was the second time I stayed at this B&B and loved it again. Joe and Ana really make you feel at home and Joe's cooking is exceptional. It's a stone-throw away from the airport so very handy. A ride to the city center in taxi takes 15 minutes most times of the day and costs a few dollars. I not only enjoy the home and its owners, but have also had a fantastic time with some of the guests. The evening dinners are always fun and interesting.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our time in guatemala. Joe and Anna were superb hosts providing free pick up at 10pm and drop off at 5am to the airport. We had a wonderful meal cooked for all 12 of us. The rooms were clean and quiet. The bathrooms were immaculate with lots of hot water and towels thrown in. We didn't wish to see Guatemala city itself so this was honestly the best we could have asked for. We also left our diving equipment with them for a couple of dollars a day which was perfect and Joe organised us a minibus to Antigua. We cannot recommend this guesthouse enough if the above is what you are looking for.

• Stayed: December 2010