“Room re-renting scam: beware”
Review of Hotel Chalet

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chichicastenango
Hotel Chalet
london
“Room re-renting scam: beware”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Despite an email confirmed booking (with credit card details) and a phone number before 2pm, when we arrived at 6pm some of our rooms (we were a party of 7) had been re-rented. It took some un-necessarily difficult discussion to get us sorted out. Irritating as that was, what was less pleasant was the manager hanging around outside the rooms.

Rooms small and musty; bathrooms a bit dark and sinks/showers coming off the walls.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank kingsgate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My friend and I arrived a Chalet after an exciting, rainy drive from Antigua (including switching to another vehicle due to bad diesel), only to find out that they had given away our room at 2:00 that afternoon. It was Saturday, and we were in town to experience the stunning market on Sunday (as did many other people). Fortunately our driver took us to several other hotels in order to finally find one that had a room for us. Bottom line: we made reservations that were not honored, watch out!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank EcochicaH
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 3, 2010

This hotel is an easy walk from the center of town, so no need for a taxi from the bus stop. Its distance is welcome once the market gets underway, as the main streets of town are chaotic. As reported elsewhere, the owners are friendly, knowledgeable, and eager to help. The caged birds and small dog add to the family feel. Everything was spotless, including the en-suite bathroom, with a full tub and real hot water.

One small problem occurred when we returned around 10:00 from an evening walk around town to watch the market stalls being set up, only to find that the front door had been dead-bolted and we couldn't get back in, even with our keys. A couple minutes of knocking and bell-ringing got the attention of the the owners, dissipating our incipient panic without eliciting any admonishments or even scowls, though we did feel a bit guilty for disturbing the peace.

Breakfast on the roof was continental but lovingly prepared, and checkout was plenty late, allowing us to use the room as a base/respite between jaunts out to spend money at the market before catching an afternoon chicken bus back out of town. Chichi is really worth seeing, and if I return someday I will likely spend two or three nights instead of just the one. A one-day excursion just to visit the market would not do the town justice, and you would be denying yourself the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Chalet.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank dougherucci
Lebanon, Oregon
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Central to everything, easy to walk around. Close to the Santo Tomas hotel at 1/3 the price.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
Reviewed January 4, 2010

- Excellent for spending a night the day before the market.
- Family lives in house/hotel, helpful and friendly
- Basic standard rooms with warm woolen blankets and local handicraft on the walls

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Arriving in Chichi the day before the fair, which happens every Sunday, I had no idea how hard it would be finding a place to stay. I knocked at their door first, knowing the price, then I said I was just shopping around. All other places where full, so I went back. The ower, Don Manuel is quite helpful, gave me lots of hints about the town. The bedroom is nice and clean, own bedroom and I had warm blankets for the mild December temperatures. Everything in Chichi is within a walking distance, and they're a 5 mins walk into town, so the only noise is the eventual car passing by. I think the price, quite high for Guatemala is due to the very scarce competition, as there aren't many other options around. The wifi wirks for most of the day but can be a problem logging in in the evening, as everybody else in the building is probably trying the same.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
toronto
Reviewed May 9, 2009

Upon arrival to Hotel Chalet, I realised that I had left my purse (with both of our passports, money...had just topped up the quetzales for shopping at the market, and my credit cards) in the taxi that we had taken from Pana. Manuel (Chalet's owner) telephoned everyone he knew in Pana and my purse, everything intact, was returned. I will forever be indebted to Manuel for his kindness and support. Great little spot - nothing fancy, but everything that one needs and then some!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chichicastenango
Hotel Museo Mayan Inn
#2 of 3 in Santa Cruz del Quiche
Hospedaje El Viajero
Hospedaje El Viajero
#4 of 35 in Panajachel

Been to Hotel Chalet? Share your experiences!