“Magnificent, Huge Hotel With Class and Style”
Review of Santo Tomas Hotel

Santo Tomas Hotel
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We had no idea how grand this hotel was when we booked it. It is a huge hotel, filled with art of all kinds, but especially religious art.

Besides being overwhelmed by the grandness and the art, we got special pleasure from the many parrots in the courtyard, the swimming pool, the restaurant with good food, the waiters in traditional clothing, and the musicians who played in the courtyard during meals.

The food is rather expensive, but the prices and quality matched the high level of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed June 3, 2010

very pretty place. comfortable and clean rooms. nice pool. great location. good inhouse restaurant though we did eat just breakfast there. everything was fabulous except that the staff seemed very indifferent for a $100/night hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2010

From the outside, this hotel is definitely not the most inspiring of buildings, however step through the front door and the traveler is greeted by an expansive courtyard garden, complete with many colorful plants, birds, fountains, lots of places to sit and relax in the afternoon sun. Further exploration reveals yet more courtyards off the main and a swimming pool on the upper level.
Rooms are clean comfortable and nicely decorated, perhaps a bit noisy as there is no insulation between rooms however, the hotel still has a nice relaxing atmosphere. Restaurant service is friendly with authentic Guatemalan dishes, and the menu is quite varied. Water is "agua pur".
Location is central and great for market days.
Great Spot

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2010

No doubt, this hotel should be the best hotel in Chichi: the building and decoration is beautiful; the rooms are great; the swimming pool seemed very fine, but...
because this hotel receives a lot of tourist packed in buses, you'll not get a so personalized service than in smaller hotels, which could not be a problem for you; be aware of the room you choose, or you can get a room facing the street - as I got - and you'll begin to ear the noisy trucks at the street at 4am; and those parrots during the day in the garden... I almost wanted to kill them, as they were so noisy.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Disclaimer: We didn't stay at the Hotel Tomas. We were staying at Lake Atitlan, but took a bus to Chichi for the Sunday market, where we were promptly pickpocketed. (Ego salvage: this is despite being seasoned travelers, stashing money in multiple places on our persons, and my husband having lived in Central America for 2.5 years).

As Hotel Tomas is pretty centrally located, once we realized my husband's wallet was gone we hightailed it back there to try to take stock, cancel our cards, etc. They were nice and let us use their guest computer, even though we weren't guests.

But then their guest computer was having issues connecting to the internet, so they actually let us into their personal office to use their computer to get the phone numbers for our three credit card companies. Then they let us use their front desk phone to call internationally to cancel the cards (we paid for the use, but they charged very acceptable rates for this). Once again: this was even though we were not guests.

They were very, very kind to us and saved our butts hugely. We got the whole ugly mess cleaned up within an hour's time, and after our friends bought us some drinks (@ the Hotel Tomas bar) to soothe our wounds, we were back out at the market again with what money the pickpockets didn't get.

In short, Hotel Tomas was really, really awesome to us and helped us really fix what could have been a disastrous and terrible day. I wanted to make sure their good dead did not go unpunished.

Other pros: 1. From what we saw of the lobby area they are very clean and westerner-friendly.

2. They have several birds (parrots) that you can check out, get close to, interact with in their central atrium. Very cool.

3. Clean bathroom.

4. Cheap postcards on sale.

Only cons: Like I said, we never saw past the lobby, but the lobby itself was tourist hell. I think this is probably because of the central location and westerner-friendliness. It was absolutely rotten with every loud, elderly, fat, slow, waist-pouch and visor-wearing group of American/German/Asian/whatever tourists that had just gotten of their bus and decide to walk around in a confused haze.

That was pretty annoying, but what are you going to do? They still saved my skin, and were very, very kind about it, and for that I am and always will be very, very grateful.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I stayed at Santo Tomas for a week in January as part of a mission trip. I didn't know what to expect--I knew we were working at a remote village outside of ChiChi--and I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Our room was spacious, the bed was a bit firm but comfy overall, there were plenty of warm blankets and hot water. I was thrilled to find a hairdryer b/c it was a bit on the chilly side. It was possible to get a fire built in the room, but my experience with in-room fires in other countries made me opt to just put on an extra blanket instead.

The room was very clean, as were the common areas of the hotel. The garden was gorgeous and the passageways and rooms filled with antiques. The computer/internet connection worked most of the time and was free! We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel every day, and I loved the eggs, black beans, and tortillas. They offered decent vegetarian options at dinner and excellent fresh tropical fruit for desserts.

I brought earplugs because of past experiences in other cities, but found after the first night that I didn't need to use them. There was a little street noise--our room faced a gas station--but it quieted down quickly. There were occasional dogs or roosters, but we were up early to travel to the worksite and it really wasn't a problem.

The location was good--close to the market, farmacia, other stores.

• Stayed: January 2010
2  Thank mmb2323
Reviewed August 27, 2009

The location is unbeatable. It gives you the ability to take comfortable breaks from the market, and to be able to walk around with minimal belongings. The place is beautiful.

My complaints are that the staff seem disinterested, and the fires in both of our rooms belched thick smoke back into the rooms. There was no way we could go to sleep until we have made sure the fires were out and the smoke had cleared. I'm guessing that the chimneys are either poorly designed, or that they are in serious need of cleaning.

The website claims that the swimming pool is heated. It was freezing.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chichicastenango
Hotel Museo Mayan Inn
#1 of 1 in San Lucas Toliman
Hotel Rey K"ich"e
Hotel Rey K"ich"e
#2 of 3 in Santa Cruz del Quiche

Been to Santo Tomas Hotel? Share your experiences!