“Punta Gorda - A Piece of Ground Hotel”
Review of A Piece of Ground

A Piece of Ground
canada
“Punta Gorda - A Piece of Ground Hotel”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Just finishing a 6 night stay in Punta Gorda, Belize.

We stayed at the hotel (guesthouse) called a Piece of Ground. We enjoyed our stay here so much. Highly recommend this place.

Firstly, the owners, Jamma and Germaine and their two little kids, went out of their way to help us. Drove us to the local stores so we could stock up on groceries and Beliken, offered to pick us up at the bus station (but it was only a 2 block walk), drove us to the ferry when leaving to Honduras, gave us all the info we needed to explore the area.

Secondly, the guesthouse. It consists of 4 rooms each with 1 double bed, air conditioning, TV with all channels, private bath, fully tiled, very clean, wardrobe for your bags and clothes. Everything you need in a room. But what makes A Piece of Ground very special are the 2 communal floors above the rooms. One floor has a big, well equipped kitchen with full size fridge and stove, eating bar,washer and dryer (wow, unheard of), and a pool table (the best pool table of any guesthouse in Belize)! We hung here alot to recoup after a hectic month in Belize.

The top floor is a rooftop sun deck with hammocks, great for those looking for a tan. The views from both common floors are fabulous - mountains and ocean.

The price is very fair for everything that a Piece of Ground offers.

We`ve travelled much of the world for the last 10 years, and this is one of our top accommodations ever.

Kelley and Peter

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank peter19Canada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Rock Island, Illinois
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Great place to stay outside the busier city center. The hosts were extremely helpful, welcoming and accommodating. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Kitchen, lounge area and sun deck are great for socializing, relaxing and enjoying the views. Rooms and baths are all modern and convenient. Good safe location. Love the country, love the place. If you're visiting I highly recommend A Piece of Ground. We'll visit again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank adamv309
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 23, 2011

A place to get away from the hustle and bustle of City life--even the hustle and bustle of a small town. Rooms are hidden away in the tree tops with an outdoor kitchen overlooking the idyllic scenery below. An even higher roof/sun deck, where you can relax away from it all yet stay connected with wireless service. Working on a laptop from a hammock while sipping freshly blended fruits from the local market. Ice in the freezer and a convenient washing machine. It's like home in the tropics, but better!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Amikole
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I absolutely fell in love with the place. It was peaceful clean and beautiful overall. The rooms were spacious and equipped with air conditioning,ceiling fans,and cable television. The bathrooms were nice and clean with stand up shower.I loved the kitchen and lounge area most because the view of the hills and trees were breathtaking. I enjoyed several mornings journaling,reading and lazing in the hammocks. It was beautiful! The host was amazing and taught us a lot about the foods,land,culture and sites. I fell in love with the place and intend to return sooner than later. I would love to bring my children next time :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Akilah M
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 9, 2011

The hospitality was amazing and the space was fantastic. It was exactly what we were looking for because we felt at home in the lounge area and could cook for ourselves in the beautiful kitchen area. The pool table is a major plus! The rooms were clean and well maintained. We were out so much visiting Mayan ruins, gorgeous waterfalls and going fishing on a speedboat that we didn't watch much tv, but it was available in our rooms. The AC worked well, but some nights I just slept with the shutters slightly open to get the natural air. It rained while we were there, but only during the night and was always sunny and warm by morning. We were connected to a guide who knew the people and the area well. My friend and I are have special dietary needs (I'm vegan and she eats fish) so we worried about how well we would eat there, but with the help of our host who knew of good restaurants and stores where we could purchase groceries, we ate like queens! The rates were affordable and well worth the experience. I will definitely be returning with my family. Not only was A Piece of Ground a beautiful bed and breakfast, but Punta Gorda was a beautiful town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank bkworldtraveler
Dover, New Jersey
Reviewed September 29, 2011

The rooms were really comfortable and the AC made sleeping through humid nights a snap. My trip to the Garifuna Village was the best. My guide knew the folks and made it easy for me to feel welcomed.

I was in the south looking for property. Although I didn't find what I was looking for at the time, I do know that when I go back, I'll certainly make A Piece of Ground my base of operations again!

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor that is closer to the communal kitchen and lounge areas.