“Belcampo”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Dallas, Texas
“Belcampo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Belcampo Lodge is a beautiful property. The staff is very attentive. The GM is completely involved in all day to day operations. Our room was beautiful. There is wildlife very close by.
It is not close to a beach. And the beach in Punta Gorda is only rocks.
There are some interesting activities to do that children will love - such as the chocolate making and trip to a chocolate farm. (cacao trees).
I would have to say it is probably too remote for me to visit again. But it is certainly a comfortable place with wonderful staff.
The people of Belize were gracious through out our entire trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank smithadamsmd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I took my husband for a fly-fishing trip in Belie and we stayed 4 nights at Belcampo. Everything was simply perfect!The rooms are spacious and super clean, the service friendly but professional, the food very good and so fresh and the scenery is magic! It is perfectly well-located: in the rainforests but close to the flats. Our fly-fishing guide, Alex, was one of the best we've had: good sense of humour, incredibly patient and full of knowledge. Thanks to him my husband caught his first permit! I do agree with Katie from NJ, the true jewel in the crown is the staff. Thanks to all of you and to Mara for a wonderful stay at Belcampo. You will always be in our hearts!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank chantal47
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I returned for a week this March. We were here last year for a week as well. My husband is a fly-fisherman and had a great time with his guide Alex. They didn't have many catches but the fishing was exciting and they had some great eats.

I spent my time at the hotel. It is the perfect mix of things you can do or quiet, peacefulness that you can fully relax and do nothing at all. The food is truly wonderful. It is so fresh you can feel your body appreciating all the fresh vegetables. There are also amazing bar drinks and desserts to offset this however! I had amazing massages with Miss Joyce. She is a wonderful masseuse and a healer with lots of great advice. The rooms are spectacular. I spend all year dreaming of being back in the rock covered shower with a huge glass window facing the jungle.

The true jewel in the crown of this resort is the staff. They are so warm, friendly and helpful. You feel like you are right at home (albeit a home that makes your food and does laundry every day!). Mara who runs the hotel is a great resource for all things Belize and Belcampo. We were so sad to leave but know we will be back again next year!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We spent four nights and three days at Belcampo. It was our first trip to Punta Gorda and I am sure we will return. The ground are massive and breathtaking. Our room was beautiful and spacious and the bed was to die for. They turn down your bed and lower the mosquito net while you are at dinner. Listening to Howler monkeys on the screened in porch was awesome. The rooms are so spread out that you have complete privacy.My husband fished two of the three days we were there, but I was easily entertained by the tours that were offered. One day we went into town for a market tour. The Chocolate store is a must and watching how they make it from beans is great. The other day I visited a mayan site close by. One day my husband and I canoed down the river and ate our picnic lunch in the boat and saw so many birds. The food was probably the best food I have ever eaten in Belize. I enjoyed the breakfasts especially. The coconut french toast was to die for. The curry lobster was my favorite! The dinner menu is expensive. Most times we just ordered the entree which was plenty of food. All of the staff was very attentive and my two days touring solo with two others were spent with Desmond as our guide. He is absolutely wonderful and I enjoyed him immensely. The tram that goes down to the river is really nice also.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cutie39
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Belcampo Lodge is a most remarkable place indeed. On wildlife themed vacations, I've found one usually has to "relax" one's expectations of other facets, such as accomodations, food, wine, luxury etc. This is definitely not the case at Belcampo Lodge. As we pulled up the hill to the lush tropical gardens gracing the reception desk and dining room, I knew we were in for a treat. The lodge itself has been tucked discreetly into it's jungle surroundings, working with nature instead of trying to conquer it. "Got the luxury part right" I thought, and was prepared to lower my expectations of seeing many birds or having mediocre food. Nothing could have been further from the truth.
We were about to spend 5 days with the author of "Birds of Belize", Lee Jones, birding Belcampo Lodge and it's surroundings. Accompanied by one of Belacampo's resident guides, Chan Emmanuel, we covered a range of habitats both on and off site. Between these two guides, if it "tweeted" or flew, they knew what it was. They also knew where to find it. I was able to see and photograph species of birds that I had chased unsuccessfully in 5 other Latin American countries, such as Aplomado Falcon, Jabiru Stork, Black Hawk-eagle, and most spectacularly of all, the Ornate Hawk-eagle. Picture yourself sipping wine on a private screened porch in one of only 12 tree covered cabins on 12000 acres, overlooking the jungle below, while an Ornate Hawk-eagle lands in a giant ceiba tree in front of you. Experiences like this are rare anywhere else. Here they happened every day. Suffice it to say the expert guides showed us over 230 remarkable species while we were there, and they were nothing less than entertaining every step of the way.
Belcampo grows a great majority of it's own food, perhaps as much as 75%. All of it is organic. What they can't grow, they buy locally from farming communities. As an organic farmer myself, supplying many restaurants, I cannot stress enough how far ahead Belcampo is in this initiative, and how much of an influence this had on the food served at the lodge. Day after day, all three meals delivered fresh, bright flavours with honest Ingredient-forward menus that would be the envy of most North American lodges. The meals themselves let the produce and fruit shine through, and the meat was given a healthy supporting role. Day after day the dishes were impeccably cooked, and consistently delivered on flavours. A winemaker's dinner featured incredible Italian wines, paired with Belcampo Farms pasture-raised chicken liver mousse and arugula, fresh-caught Caribbean conch, slow-braised with red wine, tomato and culantro, and Belcampo Farms suckling pig, lightly smoked with charred scallions. If you happen to be there when they serve "Belizean Family Style", you're in for a real treat. A wonderful assortment of dishes reflecting the rich ethnic make-up of Belize. I was astounded at the variety of dishes, and the competence with which they were prepared.
Our host, Mara Jernigan, has been a longstanding pillar in the Slow Food community of Canada, especially in her time on Canada's Sooke Harbour region. Now she is bringing her considerable talents as a restauranteur, farmer, chef, and Slow Food advocate to Belcampo Lodge. Food, hospitality and service doesn't get any better than this, and Mara carried it off every day with grace, wit, and west-coast charm. (I'd add she also brings a huge amount of that rarest of commodities, integrity, to the lodge as well).
Cocktail hour was a great time to meet the other guests at the lodge, and from time to time, take in the talents of a local Garifuna drumming band. Ask for a "Ducky Special" (available only when Mr. Ducky himself graces the bar, and lights half the room up with his smile.)
Feel like a massage? Belcampo has a spa that is not to be believed. After passing through an an unprepossessing wooden screen, covered in bougainvillea, a secret garden opens up with tastefully appointed, tranquility effusing decor. Trickling water, locally made soaps and candles, and a picture window with a not-to-be missed view greets you. Under the expert hands of Miss Joyce, your tensions fall away as fast as the jungle floor drops beneath you from your vantage point at the top of the hill.
Snorkelling with the chef for lunch, kayaking an essentially private river, bird watching amongst Belcampo's citrus groves, organic cacao trees, and vanilla plants, all round out the experience. Belcampo Belize managed to surpass every expectation I brought to our tropical birding vacation. They are doing incredible things with their farm-produced food, and growing it in a manner that will reward you with some of the best bird-watching experiences you'll ever get.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Antbird
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We had a lovely four days on the property touring te organic endeavors and enjoying the snorkeling and scenery...The front desk and chambermaids were responsive...The guides simply great....They appeared to be in transition with the kitchen and their entire staffing....The well-meaning server attempted to take our orders without writing them down... and never got them correct. I suggested to the hospitality manager that a pen and pad would be a welcome addition, but it was never implemented...the quality of the food, although organic was uneven as was the timing of each course...Some of us got our second courses while others received their first...They are aware of the problems are are trying with the aid of the home office in Oakland to iron things out...Overall friendly knowledgeable staff...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sydknee121118
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Belcampo is wonderful. The grounds are beautiful. The staff are amazing. They are helpful and happy and full of smiles and kindness. The cabanas are tastefully decorated, spacious and the bathrooms are amazing. Each room overlooks the jungle and is private and perfect for relaxing. There are no tvs, no phones and the only sounds you will enjoy are that of nature. The spa is perfect for unwinding and has the most amazing massuse Ms Joyce. She has hands of steel and finds all of your sore spots. The entire stay was excellent and I would highly recommend a holiday stay at Belcampo. Splurg a little and spend some time in heaven.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the place.