“Cannot recommend enough! Wish there were 10 stars!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belcampo Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Belcampo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Punta Gorda
New York City, New York
“Cannot recommend enough! Wish there were 10 stars!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Myself and two friends stayed at Belcampo for 4 nights in the beginning of August and we can't recommend enough!

The lodge and rooms are just rustic enough in decor as to fit in with the landscape but still with all the modern amenities one would expect of a 5-star hotel. We loved the daily breakfast on the main lodge's terrace overlooking thousands of acres of rainforest.

Staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly without being overbearing. Everyone went out of their way to ensure every detail of our trip was perfect. We mentioned how much we loved the fried jacks at breakfast and they added a cooking seminar into the schedule. Then after mentioning we wanted to buy the freshly opened coconuts for coconut water, our tour guide, Desmond, arranged for a side trip to a local's house where he procured some fresh coconuts for us along with meeting the family and petting the horses. After one of the lodge's resident pigs gave birth we were able to go and meet the new additions to the Belcampo family.

We partook in a number of the activities on the website (Mayan ruin tour, kayaking, waterfalls, biking, etc) and they were also able to arrange ziplining as well. A special nod to the lodge's dedication to conservation and preservation.

I cannot stress how amazing and fresh the food as. We're all food-snob New Yorkers and were blown away by the food.

We unfortunately had to spend 1 night at a different lodge in the area due to the unexpected hurricaine, and by comparison were then able to realize what great value Belcampo is for the cost.

Many thanks to all who made this the trip of a lifetime - we will certainly be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

It had always been my dream to go to Belize, which meant I had a lot of built expectations for what Belize would be and trust me when I say Belcampo facilitated far surpassing those expectations. Im not sure I can describe just how amazing our experience at Belcampo Lodge was but I will definitely try:

Location- Punta Gorda (Toledo District) is where Belcampo is located. It is the safest part of Belize and every local we encountered had a smile on their face and was always willing to help. We made a lot of friends on the public transit and always felt safe going into town to local hang outs/restaurants.

Staff: The moment we stepped foot at lodge, everyone working that evening came out to greet us. We were offered a cold towel to freshen up and a refreshing ginger drink was waiting for us as well. Elvina and Mara sat with us to find out how our travels were and the things we would like to do while we were in Belize. Everything felt very personalized including the note waiting for us in the room which was hand written and addressed directly to us. The staff cared, and we definitely could feel it. Timothy, the bartender, always created drinks on the spot for us based on what flavours we liked. Absolutely delicious every time. Even though the staff started work at 5:30 am Whenever my boyfriend and I would wake up early to catch the express bus at 6 a.m. into town not only did they make sure we were on time to catch the bus, but they ALWAYS made sure we had a on-the-go warm breakfast. On the days we stayed at the Lodge to eat, Ducky (the server) ALWAYS had a smile on his face and always made us laugh.The general sense of warmth you get from the employees will make your day better, we can promise you that.

The Lodge: Nothing we say or show you will do this lodge justice. It is absolutely gorgeous. You are in the middle of the rainforest, and when you are in your room you feel like you are in a private oasis. The beds were extremely comfortable, our private verandah (with a sofa and coffee table) jet out into the rainforest so the only thing separating you from outside was the mosquito screen. Finally, the shower is as great as everyone has said. We woke up every morning to most unreal sunsets and the sight of miles and miles of rainforest. Being in a rainforest may seem a little scary to some of you (my boyfriend and I were definitely nervous about animals) but we can guarantee you will not encounter any animals, as the staff said “they are scared of humans!” There are only 12 lodges, and because of the small number we are able to get to know and hang out with most of the guests at Belcampo while we were there.

Food:The breakfast is a fixed menu, however you will not be getting tired of the options! We couldn’t believe breakfast was included as part of the rate. What we loved about lunch and dinner was that the menu changed everyday! Since the lodge cooks with everything they grow and farm, the meals changed based on what was freshest, which guaranteed delicious meals every time.

Tours: We were only there for a few days, but wanted to get in a lot of activities because there is so much to see and do in Belize! Belcampo usually has pre-planned activities for each day, however, Mara assured us that she would make sure we had a guide for every activity we wanted to do. Every tour package we had was customized exactly to our needs. We snorkeled in Placencia(with a different tour operator), however we definitely wished we snorkeled with Belcampo after hearing the stories from our Alabama friends.

Day 1 Activities: Spice Farm/Cacao Farm/San Antonio Waterfalls

On our 3rd day at the lodge (which ended up being our first Belcampo guided tour) we started with a tour at a local spice farm run by an Indian expat doctor. Vince was our Belcampo tour guide for the day. Our guide at the farm was an employee of the farm, so he was obviously very knowledgeable about everything and was more than willing to answer any and all questions we had. We learned a lot about different spices and how they are grown and harvested, and were able to taste many different spices we come across in our every day lives in plant form. Who knew nutmeg was a fruit? The property was beautiful and at the end of our tour on the farm we were given fresh coconut water to cool us down. Our only qualm with this tour was that we were never made aware that we could purchase spices from the farm, which is something we definitely would have been interested in

We moved on to a visit to Pop Eladio's house and cacao farm. Pop Eladio is a cacao farmer in a remote Mayan farming village blessed with beautiful foliage and rolling hills. We were greeted with fresh lime juice as Pop Eladio retold his fascinating life story. He has 15 children, all of which help the family on the farm (his daughters make beautiful straw baskets and other crafts, so make sure to bring USD!). We were taken through the entire cycle of processing cacao beans, from picking the cacao off the tree, to roasting it and making a delicious cacao drink from it (similar to a cafe mocha, but pure cacao!). This trip is great, and Pop Eladio is a spiritual, philosophical man who has a fascinating take on life and cacao beans.

A buffet-style lunch at Coleman's cafe was next, which was included in our tour package. The cafe is off the beaten path, but don't let this affect your judgment of the restaurant, because it's amazing. We had delicious pork, chicken and beef to choose from along with three different kinds of rice, and three different kinds of beans. Coleman's wife served us the most incredible bread pudding we have ever had. I had my first many Belikin beers here (at no extra charge) and was thoroughly impressed.

To wrap up our full-day tour, Vince drove us to San Antonio waterfall, a beautiful oasis hidden in between two of San Antonio's many hills. The waterfall itself isn't as big as the waterfall on the Rio Grande, but the scenery is better and the environment is much more intimate. Not to mention, there are different parts I was able to climb and jump off of because the waterfall's size made it a little bit more interactive. The water is crystal clear blue and you're going to love it here.

Day 2 activities: Lubaantun ruins/Mayan Lunch at Vince's house/Blue Creek cave

Vince was our tour guide again for the second day, which ended up being our favorite day of the trip. Our tour started off with a trip to the Lubaantun Mayan Ruin which, while not as vast as Tikal or Caracao, has a small-time charm to it that we really enjoyed. Vince, a Mayan himself, guided us around the ruin and was extremely knowledgeable about each aspect of the site and what the significance was. Although we can't speak on how Belcampo's other tour guides would be on this tour, we definitely recommend Vince for this tour whose Mayan background allows for an interesting perspective on things. The site is on top of a hill with beautifully manicured green grass and a handful of different types of trees which added to the experience. Our personal favourite was the Red Bark tree that peels as it is hit by UV rays from the Sun. This has been aptly re-named the "tourist tree" by Belizean locals.

After Lubaantun we headed to Vince's home town, Blue Creek. Blue Creek village has 450 people (as the hand-painted sign at the border of the village will tell you) and is nestled right in the middle of a rainforest mountain range. On our drive in, Vince flew past his house, pointing it out, driving right out of town onto a dirt road, and kept driving, only to stop and pull a U-turn a couple KMs outside of the village. He told us to look back at the gap in the Blue Creek mountain range and said that was where we would be hiking to Blue Creek cave later in the day.

We drove back to Vince's house for lesson in making corn tortillas (my girlfriend was a natural, me not so much) from Vince's wife and sister in law, as well as a delicious Mayan lunch featuring baked chicken, rice, stewed beans and the corn tortillas we had just made. The hospitality of Vince's family was tremendous.

After lunch Vince grabbed life vests and flashlights for the hike to Blue Creek cave and we literally walked out of his front yard and into the rain forest to begin the hike. The first portion of the hike is relatively easy, on a path through the rain forest beside Blue Creek, which is the purest blue water we have ever seen. As we hiked a little further things became slightly more difficult as we started having to climb "up" versus just walking forward. My girlfriend was not expecting (and was not warned of) a difficult hike and wore sandals not meant for anything even remotely athletic, so this made her journey more difficult. That said we had climbed up enough to reach the Blue Creek rapids and the mouth of Blue Creek cave was in sight. At this point we left all of our things and made the rest of the climb through the rapids in bare feet. The climb to the cave is difficult, and make sure you take your time as the rocks are slippery and rarely smooth. The work is well worth it though as the view from the mouth of the cave is absolutely stunning. We equipped ourselves with life vests and flashlights as we ventured into the cave. The current in the cave is very strong so Vince told us to stick close to the wall and hold on, moving forward that way. After getting to a certain point, no more light is entering the cave and your flashlight will be your best friend as the difference between the darkness in the cave and having your eyes closed is literally nothing. It is at this point that the current becomes too strong and we have to climb up the wall of the cave and over wet rocks to move forward. This was by far the most dangerous and challenging part of the trip, and I would not recommend you do this section unless you're very confident in your mobility. After defeating the rocks here we plopped back into the water and let the current carry us all the way back to the mouth of the cave.

We hope you enjoy Belcampo as much as we did. We loved this Lodge so much we have already recommended it to our family and friends. We have never felt the need to write a review for this Lodge, but Belcampo truly deserves this.

Enjoy your Belize adventures!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LandZ F
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

I travel a lot, in fact constantly, meaning I am away from home more than 3 weeks in a month. Well I had the need to travel to Belize for business and the travel arrangements made for me meant I had a stay at Belcampo Lodge. Well generally it's all work for me and I am so focused I pay little to the resort or hotel I am in. But I could not do this here. In fact I was absolutely overwhelmed with how it was. I have NEVER left a review of any property I have stayed with (and there have been many), since it seems it's just part of the job for me. But I constantly found myself saying wow here. The accommodations were nothing less than stunning, the dining was delicious, creative and maybe even perfect. The characters of the resort have infectious personalities, that had me trusting the instantly. They were knowledgeable of their surroundings and culture, caring toward my needs and exceeded them all. I really felt I was at home. Yet I was in this awesome rainforest surrounded by incredible points of nature and amazing smells and noises of the jungle. Wow. Usually when I think of vacation I actually think of not traveling. Now I can't wait to come back here. To think because of my work I touched less than 1% of this unbelievable location and resort, now I want to hurry and come back to visit again to relax! Key awesome qualities were the rooms in the rainforest, and of course the stunning roomy showers! But also the long wine list, the seclusion and privacy, the extensive amenities that were way beyond the most exclusive resorts I have stayed and of course the prices! Do not feel for a moment you won't be totally satisfied here. The staff and general manager ensure that and connect with you personally to make sure. If that is still is not enough, you will be totally impressed by the extras, the spa, the river, the howler monkeys and, well, I could go on forever! Stay a week here. Bring your romance or even your family. Take a safari or personal cooking class. Learn about their chocolate, vanilla or coffee. Or just relax or even work! I assure you drinking wine or just bird watching from their impressive natural lodge, you will be thankful you came here. Thank-you Belcampo Lodge. What an incredible experience!

Room Tip: Bring with you insect repellent. I didn't so then lent me their own at no cost. They also sell s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Al W
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

[My wife and I visited Belcampo Lodge for eight days from April 6 to April 14, with our 5-year-old daughter and 7-year-old son.]

I could try to enumerate through every second of our visit to Belcampo Lodge, parsing through every square inch of everything we saw, but I just don't think it would be the best way to capture how much of a great time we had. And so many prior reviewers have done a great job of it. So I'll try to share the essence of our experience, paint a mosaic if you will, by highlighting the great people and places that comprised our trip.

Desmond picked us up at the airport and immediately made us feel welcome, and talked to use the entire 15 minute trip up to the lodge. Then he took my wife and kids on a great snorkeling adventure the next day, and took all of us on several excursions throughout our stay. Desmond was the perfect guide: very kind, took care of everything while making it look effortless, was a safe driver, and in general was a great travel companion who was easy to get along with. Highly recommend Desmond...we only had Chan for one short night excursion, so look to other reviews to hear some great things about Chan as well. Our experience shows you cannot go wrong - all are kind, classy, knowledgeable guides.

I had injured my lower back just prior to our trip to Belcampo, so I compensated for my inability to do the more physical excursions with several visits to the massage therapist, Mrs. Joyce. My wife also had multiple massages. Joyce is a super good masseuse and a very nice lady, so we really enjoyed getting to know her while receiving such excellent, soothing, relaxing massages. I highly recommend getting a massage every one or two days of your trip.

Meeting chocolate farmer Eladio Pop and his family was one of the biggest highlights of the trip. Definitely do the chocolate tour excursion if it's the only thing you have time for. He took us through the hills of his chocolate farm, explained every single plant he cultivates, and then took us back to his house where we met his family and got to help make cacao. Such nice people, we took their email addresses and plan on keeping in touch. Note: while the agri-tourism center was not finished when we visited the lodge, I strongly believe that its cacao/chocolate activities will not be a replacement for this excursion. If anything I believe they will complement one another. We plan on returning and doing both for sure!

We spent the majority of our time during our eight days at Belcampo being served meals by Mark, Dwayne, Ducky, and Tim. All were *great* guys who were super helpful and were very patient. While I regularly went over the top consuming many Belikins and over-analyzing the food and wine selection every day, and our kids were a little picky about their food choices, they always smiled and catered to our every need.

In general, props go to the entire staff. At one point I was hanging out in the lodge and overheard a staff meeting happening on the floor below me. Mara led the meeting. Not only she demonstrate excellent soft and leadership skills, I liked the way everyone got a chance to share ideas on how to improve the place at the end of the meeting. It convinced me that the facility is being operated by people who really know what they are doing, and truly care about doing a great job for the customer.

The above wouldn't have been possible without Mara, the general manager. She makes running such a great lodge so effortless. We liked the way she checked on us (or at least stopped over to say hello) every day, almost every meal but definitely over dinner each night, in a way that did not feel invasive or disingenuous at all. Mara is a real class act who has it down perfect, don't change a thing!

And while Shirleymae was on vacation most of our visit, she was very very helpful in all the planning and questions I had leading up to our arrival. She and the front desk staff made our whole experience complete, so many thanks go to them as well.

Finally, the howler monkeys and birds added a beautiful melody to the whole experience. It would not have been complete without the great sightings withing and above the jungle canopy, and so many knowledgeable staff to help us understand what we were hearing or what we were seeing.

One Piece of Advice: while scheduling your connecting flight from BZE to Punta Gorda and back, make sure you (or Shirleymae if organizing for you) leaves more than one hour to allow you make it to the Punta Gorda flight with Tropic Air. We had a non-stop from Newark with Continental, but it arrived 15 minutes late, and then three other flights had arrived at the same time, so there was about 600 people trying to get through passport control and then customs and then get on their connecting flights JUST LIKE US, so it was a hellish, frantic experience where we had to hand out twenty-dollar bills like it was going out of style to be treated like royalty and make our flight in time. Flights were full going to PG and coming back, so don't be fooled into thinking it'll be easy to bump onto the next flight.

Room Tip: Every room has its strong points, so I think you'll be happy no matter where you get placed. We...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank peske
San Diego, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Believe all of the good reports regarding this lodge. The entire resort is so well appointed and so very clean. Everything is in perfect shape.
The staff are all so friendly and helpful. We didn't encounter anyone who was not smiling and ready to do anything for you.
It was my birthday and Mark brought a bouquet of flowers he picked on the grounds, along with my morning coffee. The staff also presented me with the most delicious chocolate birthday cake!! They were just wonderful. Everyone was top notch at this resort....from the manager Shirleymae, to the waiters Mark , Dwayne, and Ducky. I don't want to leave out the front desk ladies and the housekeepers who did an amazing job of keeping the rooms spotless. I enjoyed a Birdwatching excusion with Desmond and I took numerous Yoga classes with Chelsea...both so very friendly and helpful.
As others have said the food was incredible ...so fresh and healthy.
The only negative for us were the biting Dr. Flies ....I took non drowsy Claritin to take away the itching. That was a life saver!!
All in all a beautiful place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LeucadiaLady30
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

We loved, loved, loved it. We did a mother daughter trip! The rooms were heavenly, as were the huge showers. The people were all incredible and so well educated on the area. We loved the farm and the new cocoa farm developing. We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank janaherritt
Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stopped by for lunch and the warm receition and friendlyness of the staff was outstanding. We were immediately welcomed and offered a tour of the place. All the staff we encountered were very warm and freindly.

The bathrooms are HUGE and very sexy as they open up to the jungle outside.

We sat on the deck for lunch and watched toucans fly around in the canopy.

This is a very nice place and we intend to return in the near future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Big Falls
Coral House
Coral House
#2 of 17 in Punta Gorda

Been to Belcampo Lodge? Share your experiences!