This was a great adventure--but an adventure with the welcome addition of comfort and knowledgeable people to show us where to have fun!
We loved the healthy, well-tended jungle feel of Cotton Tree--it really does look like the pictures! The cabanas and grounds are beautiful, and the staff are wonderful.
My husband and I stayed for a week, and were amazed at how many different tours and excursions there were to choose from. My favorite may have been the Blue cave adventure--a beautiful hike up to the cave, then way, way back into the cave, in water all the way, swimming and scrambling over waterfalls, with helmets, headlamps and life preservers--I amazed myself! The tour of the chocolate farm was also exceptional--a unique glimpse into the spiritual side of sustainable farming, and Mayan family life as well. (And despite what you may have heard, there really are white chocolate beans!)
If you possibly can, do the three day boat tour down the river through the jungle, across the bay and into Guatemala! The owner, Chris, has been in the area for many, many years, and seems to know every little out of the way place, and all the people, too! Wonderful to be so far from the tourist crowds, to experience the beauty of the Rio Dulce, to see men fishing with nets from dugout canoes, to climb to the hot waterfalls--and to enjoy the sudden unexpected elegance of great waterfront restaurants and jungle bars catering to the international sailboats at Fronteras!
The staff are attentive, knowledgeable and fun, the grounds and cabanas are exactly the way I'd hoped, the food is plentiful, the drinks are amazing. It was an exciting, memorable week, and we're already discussing a return trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our eco-lodge is hidden between the Moho River, the rain forest, and Mayan villages in southern Belize. Stay in beautiful thatch cabanas with private bathrooms and verandas. Enjoy delicious cuisine prepared with organic produce from our garden. Try kayaking, birding, swimming, and horseback riding on the grounds. Connect with the people and culture of Belize on daily tours to villages, Mayan ruins, cacao farms, caves, waterfalls, and more. Or simply relax in a hammock all day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HRS, Expedia, Priceline, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Cotton Tree Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cotton Tree Hotel Punta Gorda
- Cotton Tree Lodge Belize/Punta Gorda