Hickatee Cottages really is more an experience than a place to stay.
Ian and Kate provide a service far beyond what you might expect from a mid-range hotel - coffee brought to the room at dawn, locally sourced gourmet dinners and the best bread in Belize. They are careful not to let standards slip just because they're in the middle of the jungle so there's no bugs in the cottages, or on the patio, John Lewis' finest linen and the best showers I've had in any developing country (including my home in the UK!) As well as delightful jungle trails, Charlie's Bar, bicycles, DVDs, books and a personal service that I've never seen bettered..
My finest memory of Belize is sitting on the patio outside Charlie's Bar in the evening, John Lewis linen, Kate's wonderful bread and a Belikin beer, listening to the myriad of insects chirping and the howler monkeys, well, howling. This is the life!
At Hickatee itself we heard the howlers daily. We saw 6 different species of hummingbird just over breakfast. We saw colonies of Mayan bees, lizards, probably 20 different species of bird (all of which Ian can name), loads of butterflies and moths, including some that weren't even in the field guide. In the late afternoon out front by the carpark, dragonflies danced over the lawn, to be slowly replaced by bats and finally fireflies as the sun set.
Ian also manages a butterfly farm (hence the pineapples in the garden) and took us to see it - a wonderful experience.
Ian and Kate go above and beyond the call of duty every time and their attention to detail is exemplary. Kate's hand drawn map of Toledo is far better than many of the maps available elsewhere and their advice on local tourist attractions - and local gossip - is always forthcoming and always useful. Excellent showers, luxurious rooms, towels of a quality not usually found in developing countries - Kate and Ian make sure they get every little touch right.
One of the best things is how they create an atmosphere where guests get to know each other - it's more like staying with friends than staying in a hotel. Very polite, service-oriented friends.
Only a 30 minute walk (or 10 minute bikeride) to the outskirts of town. This is our second stay and we will definitely stay again. Fell in love with Toledo and in love with Hickatee.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Top-rated jungle B&B, just one mile from PG Town in southern Belize, Hickatee offers Caribbean-style accommodation, bar-restaurant, plunge pool, morning coffee delivered to your verandah, free bikes, over a mile of nature trails on site, and free visits to Fallen Stones Butterfly Farm. Family-run, we offer friendly service, a comfortable relaxed atmosphere, excellent value for money, and a great base from which to explore the offshore southern cayes and Toledo’s many inland attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Hickatee Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hickatee Cottages Hotel Punta Gorda
- Hickatee Cottages Belize/Punta Gorda