Review Highlights
Fantastic!

Emmeth was great with my little boy, let him try a lot of different drums and taught him some nice... read more

Reviewed May 20, 2019
24katya
Fisterra, Spain
Cultural experience

We booked a Foodie experience: Creole Fire-Hearth and Drumming" to learn about how locals are... read more

Reviewed August 27, 2017
AdrenalineAK
Fairbanks, Alaska

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Punta Gorda
from $95.00
More Info
from $17.00
More Info
All reviews hearth jill drum rhythms pg
Selected filters
Reviewed June 4, 2017

Great food and culture experience. Jill and Emmeth are two great people to meet. They showed us (the group I was with) around the traditional Maya hearth kitchen. They talked to us about how to prepare the dishes we would eat and the different herbs and spices included in the meals that can be found in Belize. Emmeth and a few of his students drummed for us and I had a lot of fun dancing with members of our group around the bon fire they had near the dining table. We were also able to experience how cashews are roasted and eat the tasty morsels. Overall a great experience. Loved the atmosphere, people, and food!

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed May 30, 2017

Love love love Emmeth and Jill. So much great energy while drumming and teaches you in a way that everyone can learn from! So much food was served, but it was fantastic and ethnic.

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed March 16, 2017 via mobile

My partner and I recently travelled to Punta Gorda, Belize and we're lucky enough to spend a few days/nights with Jill and Emmeth. This family welcomed us in with open arms and a hospitality that instantly felt like family. The guest house we stayed in was very authentic, complete with mosquito net and thatch roof. The food was a delicious smorgasbord of diverse Belizian cuisine which was all freshly prepared and cooked over a traditional fire hearth. Jill is a wealth of knowledge and very generous in sharing all her techniques while preparing local cuisine.
The drumming lesson that Emmeth provides is both educational and a booty shakin' good time. The blend of enticing new foods and rich rhythms of the drums was quite intoxicating. We were very sad to have to go. I strongly recommend stopping in to see these guys if you enjoy great people, awesome food and creole culture!

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed January 9, 2017

Fun night learning drums and yummy food! Jill and Emmeth were very friendly and ready to discuss or chat about the food, culture and so on. We really enjoyed the drum lessons from the very extremely talented Emmeth- it was my first time playing drums. It was very fun! The cooking class was an eye opener for city folk like me. We literally plucked the leave from the garden and cooked it immediately. Jill had a cool kitchen with many improvised utensils!! Good value and fun for the money. Jill was very helpful also in helping us get transportation to and from the place.

I reserved 1 star because we had multiple sand flea bites from the place. It is still itchy......

Date of experience: January 2017
1  Thank aprilapr
Ixtabai9, Manager at Maroon Creole Drum School, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2017

We really had fun with you folks too! So glad you were able to make it. You were fast learners. Sorry about the sandflies! Insects happen in the jungle, lol. I will have to get a can of insect repellent to keep around for those who don't bring. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reviewed January 31, 2016 via mobile

We spent a great and groovin' evening with Emmeth and his family! He's not only a great drummer but also knows a lot about music and its history. And the food his wife made was delicious, too!

Date of experience: January 2016