“Good value and convenient location”
Review of St. Charles Inn

and 1 more site!
St. Charles Inn
Ranked #6 of 18 Punta Gorda B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The location was great because it was very close to everything that I was needing to walk to. The owner was very welcoming when I checked in. The rooms were clean and you could get a room with AC which was very nice, although a fan would have been sufficient. There was free wifi which was also a plus. They took credit cards which was also nice. I didn't have a hard time falling asleep even though it got a little loud at times. I thought that it was reasonably priced, and the prices that you were quoted included tax, which was also nice.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 1, 2013

There was nothing special about this hotel, but it was clean and air conditioned.- a good value for about $40US. There is free wireless internet, which ran pretty fast. It was in a little bit of a noisy area, but the fan and AC drown out the noise. We had a room that faced the gardens, not the street, so that was probably helpful, too. The owner was great to talk to. Very friendly and had lots of stories. Even after we checked out, he was willing to lock up our backpacks in his storage closet for the day while we went out exploring. We also came back later (about a week) and asked if we could use his wireless internet, which he was happy to let us, even though we weren't staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a garden room, not one facing the street.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smullen4677
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Rooms are clean, no AC. We were harrassed by the owner and the cleaning crew 3 times in a 10 minute period while I was in the bathroom and shower for payment, which I had already tried to do 2 times with a credit card, but the office was not open at the posted time. Then the next morning, harrassed again and asked to turn off the shower due to leaking water downstairs. Was not offered another room to shower in. Some locals then recommended another place to stay which was WONDERFUL with AC, wireless internet, refridgerator, and huge room for the SAME PRICE as St. Charles Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mflocken
Carlo W, Manager at St. Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

The first official hotel in Punta Gorda Town would not be in business for over 30 years by harrassing its guests. The statement about not being open at the posted time and being harrassed is totally inaccurate. Mr. Charles Wagner, the owner of the Inn was simply trying to inform the guest that the office would not be open the following day due to a family emergency, so he would have appreciated to charge the credit card before closing time of the check in date. Unfortunately he was not granted enough time to explain himself properly. Despite the unfortunate events, the manager and owner of the St. Charles Inn would like to extend our sincere apology the the guest if she was offended in anyway. We would appreciate and treasure the opportunity to serve you once more!!! Carlo Wagner
Manager.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Good price for the location. Rate quoted included all taxes which was great. The owners are very welcoming accommodating. You are in the center of town and it is a bit noisy. Everything is within walking distance. Its safe and convenient to walk to the sea.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here last week with a group of university students for 8 nights. As one of the leaders of the trip I have perspectives from myself as well as the younger crowd "students".

Pros: The staff were very nice and helpful with removing bugs from my room. The little store attatched has great ice cream cones for only $1. Makes for a good afternoon snack on a hot day! The location is great, walking distance to everything. Laundry on site was done quickly and the ladies were very nice.

Cons: Every room should be equipped with air conditioning, its is very hot in Belize. My room had cockroaches 3 nights and I was on the bottom floor, I initially thought it was just the bottom floor rooms, but the students upstairs had spiders and other bugs coming out of the sink. When I complained about the cockroaches the man spraying my room said that they were in the wall and they like food...I had no food in my room, so you can imagine how easy it was for me to sleep every night knowing they were in the wall. Everything is very NOISY! You can hear everyone talk, the people above you walking you can hear every step, the cars that go by and yes there are a few dogs that just bark all night long and even with the air con on you could still here the dogs and everything else. If you are lucky to stay on a sunday morning you will awake at 7 am to church music blasting on the property. Be prepared :)

Overall I think this place is ok for a night or 2 max, but for a long period of time like our group, no. The students complained about the noise everyday and the bugs. I liked the owners very much, but they need to do soemthing about the cockroaches and they should put air cons in every room.

I have had my fair share of travelling the world and staying in dumpy hostels, but I also only paid about $3 a night. This is quite pricey for the noise and bugs.

Room Tip: Upstairs with an air con.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Carlo W, Manager at St. Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

I would like to thank this guest for her review and constructive criticism of our inn. From the very same day this review was posted we at the St. Charles Inn were on a mission to right every wrong that is on this specific review. I' am pleased to say that all rooms are now fully air-conditioned with the option of renting the room with or without air-con as some guest simply don't like A/C and prefers the natural air. We have also hired a professional exterminator to eliminate whatever insects that was in the rooms. Brand new Serta and Sleep on it beds have also been purchased and installed in each and every room with the appropriate bed covering to make all beds totally fresh and clean for the comfort of our valued guests! Customer care and guests satisfaction is our number one priority at the St. Charles! I would like to personally apologize for any inconveniences caused to the reviewer and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to serve you once more!!! Thanks, Carlo Wagner
Manager.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the St. Charles Inn for the second time in 2 trips to Belize. The Wagner's (Carlo and Mr. Charles) were both extremely hospitable and friendly. Being a family run business, it helps you sleep easier knowing you're supporting the local community. If you're accustomed to the fancy features of the Shangri-La or Grand Hyatt Dubaii, please don't waste your time here and post negative comments about this quaint and cozy hotel. This hotel is clean, neat, budget-friendly, safe(security and housekeeping on duty), and has ceiling fans, cable TV, air-conditioning, bottled water, great pillows, and best of all incredible conversation and historical reference with the owner Mr. Charles Wagner, who was a member of the Belizean Parliament. You are not going to find in Punta Gorda a major 'hotel strip'. Punta Gorda is a small sea-side town with a lot to offer and the St. Charles Inn is a fine place to stay if you want a taste of the real Belize.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights whilst trying to find an apartment in town. It is good for a budget hotel - the fans worked, the beds were comfy and the shower was hot. Mr. Charles, the owner, is also really friendly and loves a good chat. BUT if you're a light sleeper, it is very noisy. It's right in the centre of town with barking dogs and roosters. The walls are also quite thin so other guests' TVs kept me up for a couple of nights. But it's conviniently located near the bus depot and the departure point for Guatemala.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
#1 of 7 in Puerto Barrios
Chaab'il B'e Lodge & Casitas
Chaab'il B'e Lodge & Casitas
#5 of 18 in Punta Gorda

Been to St. Charles Inn? Share your experiences!