“Good Price Good Location”
Review of St. Charles Inn

St. Charles Inn
Ranked #6 of 18 Punta Gorda B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Price Good Location”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Good price for the location. Rate quoted included all taxes which was great. The owners are very welcoming accommodating. You are in the center of town and it is a bit noisy. Everything is within walking distance. Its safe and convenient to walk to the sea.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here last week with a group of university students for 8 nights. As one of the leaders of the trip I have perspectives from myself as well as the younger crowd "students".

Pros: The staff were very nice and helpful with removing bugs from my room. The little store attatched has great ice cream cones for only $1. Makes for a good afternoon snack on a hot day! The location is great, walking distance to everything. Laundry on site was done quickly and the ladies were very nice.

Cons: Every room should be equipped with air conditioning, its is very hot in Belize. My room had cockroaches 3 nights and I was on the bottom floor, I initially thought it was just the bottom floor rooms, but the students upstairs had spiders and other bugs coming out of the sink. When I complained about the cockroaches the man spraying my room said that they were in the wall and they like food...I had no food in my room, so you can imagine how easy it was for me to sleep every night knowing they were in the wall. Everything is very NOISY! You can hear everyone talk, the people above you walking you can hear every step, the cars that go by and yes there are a few dogs that just bark all night long and even with the air con on you could still here the dogs and everything else. If you are lucky to stay on a sunday morning you will awake at 7 am to church music blasting on the property. Be prepared :)

Overall I think this place is ok for a night or 2 max, but for a long period of time like our group, no. The students complained about the noise everyday and the bugs. I liked the owners very much, but they need to do soemthing about the cockroaches and they should put air cons in every room.

I have had my fair share of travelling the world and staying in dumpy hostels, but I also only paid about $3 a night. This is quite pricey for the noise and bugs.

Room Tip: Upstairs with an air con.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Carlo W, Manager at St. Charles Inn, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
I would like to thank this guest for her review and constructive criticism of our inn. From the very same day this review was posted we at the St. Charles Inn were on a mission to right every wrong that is on this specific review. I' am pleased to say that all rooms are now fully air-conditioned with the option of renting the room with or without air-con as some guest simply don't like A/C and prefers the natural air. We have also hired a professional exterminator to eliminate whatever insects that was in the rooms. Brand new Serta and Sleep on it beds have also been purchased and installed in each and every room with the appropriate bed covering to make all beds totally fresh and clean for the comfort of our valued guests! Customer care and guests satisfaction is our number one priority at the St. Charles! I would like to personally apologize for any inconveniences caused to the reviewer and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to serve you once more!!! Thanks, Carlo Wagner
Manager.
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the St. Charles Inn for the second time in 2 trips to Belize. The Wagner's (Carlo and Mr. Charles) were both extremely hospitable and friendly. Being a family run business, it helps you sleep easier knowing you're supporting the local community. If you're accustomed to the fancy features of the Shangri-La or Grand Hyatt Dubaii, please don't waste your time here and post negative comments about this quaint and cozy hotel. This hotel is clean, neat, budget-friendly, safe(security and housekeeping on duty), and has ceiling fans, cable TV, air-conditioning, bottled water, great pillows, and best of all incredible conversation and historical reference with the owner Mr. Charles Wagner, who was a member of the Belizean Parliament. You are not going to find in Punta Gorda a major 'hotel strip'. Punta Gorda is a small sea-side town with a lot to offer and the St. Charles Inn is a fine place to stay if you want a taste of the real Belize.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights whilst trying to find an apartment in town. It is good for a budget hotel - the fans worked, the beds were comfy and the shower was hot. Mr. Charles, the owner, is also really friendly and loves a good chat. BUT if you're a light sleeper, it is very noisy. It's right in the centre of town with barking dogs and roosters. The walls are also quite thin so other guests' TVs kept me up for a couple of nights. But it's conviniently located near the bus depot and the departure point for Guatemala.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank claraesse
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Well, the fan did a good job of keeping the room cool and the room was clean. This would have been a pretty comfortable stay, except that we were unable to sleep for most of the night due to the very loud barking dog immediately next door. It barked non stop all night, while others chimed in. No tv sounds or earplugs could drown it out. Overall, this was quite a noisy place when you also factor in the street noise which continued until late into the night and started again early in the morning. Bear in mind that you are only a block away from the local bus depot. If barking dogs and street noise don't bother you then this is a reasonably priced, well located hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This place has horrible customer service and is loud. There were also bed bugs.

The first morning we stayed here we woke up at 6am to the sound of blasting Christmas music. It was the owner of the inn playing the music so I asked him if he could turn it down a bit. He was upset that I asked and overall gave the feeling that we weren't guests there. You can also hear trucks driving by every morning.

There are plenty of cheaper places to stay for better quality.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank David R
London
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My friend and I were told about St Charles Inn by the staff at the ferry terminal. We'd had a long trip from Honduras and wanted to be close to the bus terminal for the 6am bus the next morning. The rooms are clean and really sweet - we chose one with aircon, 2 double beds for 45USD. They provided fresh water, and the pillows were AMAZING. My prior research on trip advisor had missed this place, and everywhere else in PG seemed sooo expensive! but I'm so glad we found St Charles Inn. It was just above our price range for a quick overnight stop but was everything we could have asked for a short stay. Carlo was really helpful with recommending restaurants and organising transport for my friend with her injured leg, including a reliable 545am taxi to go 2 blocks!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
#3 of 18 in Punta Gorda
Chaab'il B'e Lodge & Casitas
Chaab'il B'e Lodge & Casitas
#5 of 18 in Punta Gorda

Been to St. Charles Inn? Share your experiences!