“Could have been better, but acceptable!”

Asha's Culture Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Punta Gorda
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Top quality seafood and barbeque in Punta Gorda. Relax at the only restaurant and bar around that is completely over the sea. Fresh meals are cooked to order with sustainably caught seafood; fish are often caught by Asha (the owner/head chef) himself. Our kitchen serves hearty dishes prepared with healthy ingredients. Listen to various styles of live music – including Creole and Garifuna drumming, Mayan marimba, and international performances – all while enjoying the Caribbean sea breeze with a view of the Guatemala highlands from across the bay. Exceptional service and competitive prices. Business practices are very environmentally friendly. We cater to all needs; including large groups, food delivery, and a variety of events. Please call ahead for large groups, to-go orders, directions, or our music schedule. Marine tours, sustainable-fishing classes, sunset-booze cruises, and cooking lessons are available.
Chandler, Arizona
“Could have been better, but acceptable!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

It was a bit hard to find even when right in front of it because it was dark (6PM), then there was no light in the bathroom and it took them about 15 minutes to get new bulbs put in. We sat on the deck over the water initially but felt it too dark to be able to see our food so we moved inside. Our waitress/bartender Isabelle was very sweet and attentive and told us she was from Canada and filling in temporarily as Asha's wife was having a baby. We ordered some of their specials, Creole Lobster and Grouper in a garlic sauce. It was a bit pricey and no where as good as the seafood on Caye Caulker. We ordered the large size and I was disappointed in the quantity. Drinks were OK and certainly not watered down. The sides were good but the lobster and fish filet were a 3, the sides were a 4, service a 5, ambience a 4. Overall I give this place a 3.5!

• Visited October 2012
mcstacmcspace, Owner at Asha's Culture Kitchen, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for your comments, we had been having electrical problems that have since been remedied (including our lit street sign). Lanterns can be provided if diners would like to be served on the dock.

Our prices compensate for the quality of our ingredients and attention we pay to their sources - however our dishes do start at $4 US.

We are a new business and invite you to visit us again next time you are in PG to see how we've evolved.

Chicago, Illinois
“lots of atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

This place seems to attract expats and tourists. It is located on the seaside with a wonderful ocean breeze. I highly recommend the sides of garlic mashed potatoes and coleslaw. I've been there two times and both times were great with great people to talk to and music one of the nights.

• Visited October 2012
Let us know ahead of time if you have the chance to return and the musicians will be there waiting - thanks for your visit!
Bronxville, New York
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

On my first night in Punta Gorda I met up with a group at Asha's and it proved to be a great start to my trip! That night they had live music & drummers to get everyone in a great mood. Nice menu selection, the food was delicious & the outdoor deck was a great place to hang out and watch the ocean. The atmosphere was inviting and the manager/bartender/get it all done girl Isabelle was fantastic. I made Asha's a regular stop, even if just for a quick beer or two before exploring other spots in PG. No matter where else I went, I always came back to Asha's.... Kinda wish I was there right now

• Visited September 2012
We wish you were still here too - thanks!
Punta Gorda, Belize
“Pg's hidden jewel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Tucked out of the way on front street. Good food and the wonderful host ,Isabelle , will guide you through the menu if needed.
Good Sunday night out, drumming and general jam session.
Ya mon.......

Visited September 2012
Illinois, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome local food for tourists and locals alike.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I actually met Asha out on a remote caye (island) where he brought some people out to enjoy the water while he cooked them lobster on a grill. I was out on a snoreling trip but envying the BBQ lobster. He invited us to his restaurant so we asked him what he made. He said, "I"m an all-arounder. I make all kinds of stuff."

We visited a few nights later and from what I could tell he did make everything and is good at it. My girlfriend and I had shrimp and lobster which were both excellent. Great sides also and large portions.

We sat with a group from our resort out on the deck which is over the beach/ocean. Beautiful views.

They also have live music on different types on many nights.

Price was much, much lower than the resort we were staying at. Lobster meal, shrimp meal, and quite a few Belikin beers for only $60 Belize ($30 US).

• Visited September 2012