“Amazing!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Toledo District
Back-a-Bush Guesthouse
Ranked #11 of 22 Toledo District B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My friend and I had a great stay at Back-A-Bush. It was a truly unique and wonderful experience. The guesthouse is on a farm in a Mayan village. When you're there you feel truly immersed in a totally different culture and simple way of life. The guesthouse was great and Elsbeth's food was so delicious. She is a great cook. Rod, Elsbeth's partner, was also very helpful and we were able to purchase some of his famous hand roasted Belizean coffee. Elsbeth helped organize fun activities for us: river kayaking, hiking to a jungle cave and we walked to a Mayan ruin that we had all to ourselves. A highlight was also going to tour a company that made chocolate the traditional way. I loved staying Back-A-Bush and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: There is a new cabana in the back that would be perfect for 4 people or a family.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Back-a-Bush is a fantastic place to stay! The guest house is situated in a very nice little village, easily accessible by bus from Punta Gorda. The owner, Elsbeth, is very welcoming, friendly and helpful. Our room was very good, clean and spacious with good beds. The meals, made by Elsbeth herself, were all delicious. Around the house there are all kinds of animals; dogs, cats, ducks, horses. In the area are many super fun activities to do, and Elsbeth can tell you all about it! I had the most wonderful time in this little slice of heaven! highly recommended!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Punta Gorda, Belize
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Me & my woman ended up here in the middle of a traditional Mayan village by coincidence in mid December and didn't know what to expect... But as soon as we met Elsie, the amazing woman who runs the place, we knew we had come to the right spot!
She combines her low key, but yet cozy, guesthouse business with permaculture, organic farming at her 11 acre land. Besides all the flora and fauna she also have a lot of animals on the property... Cats, dogs, horses, ducks and chickens, plus all the wild lizards, colorful birds, bats etc.

On top of that she's an fantastic cook using a lot of her own grown veggies... And her home made bread & scrambled duck eggs for breakfast, wow!

In short, we ended up staying over a month and got a new lovely friend for life! Totally the best, and most money worth place in Toledo!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Back-a-bush is a peaceful farm in a small Belizian village close to Punta Gorda by bus. Elsbeth and Naud are charming, friendly and down-to-earth hosts. As previous reviews have said, food here is wholesome and tasty (we opted to have 3 meals there) and the room was clean and comfy. The farm-grown coffee was fantastic. We really enjoyed talking to Elsbeth and Naud and enjoyed exploring the village and the local Mayan ruins. I absolutely loved staying here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Why they don't have more reviews, I'll never know! Back-a-Bush is the BEST and also least expensive ($30BZE/$15USD a night for a bed) and the meals are INCREDIBLE and again, very inexpensive!!! (breakfast/dinner $12BZE/$6USD; lunch $10BZE/$5USD) I hope the prices are correct, check their website just in case. I was in Toledo for 2 weeks, I stayed with Elsbeth and Naud for 3 short nights, and next time Back-a-Bush will be my main stay! The farm is wonderful, all of the animals are happy, healthy and love guests! I had my very own guide dog Diesel on my 1hr walk out to Lubaantun - a beautiful site of fallen stones of the Ancient Maya. The walk is straight through San Miguel village, and is very serene, especially at the site itself. After the hot walk back, one could either take a cold (or hot/warm) shower, or jump in the Columbia river which is about 10min walk through Back-a-Bush's farm.

Fresh farm picked fruits, home baked bread and fried jacks (or baked) with assorted jams, butter or peanut butter for breakfast - and lime aid, which I'm now addicted to back at home (drinking a litre a day!) Fresh ginger tea with lemongrass and honey was a nice treat! Lunches and dinners were amazing and if not picked from their own farm, sourced local (black beans grown by the neighbour) Elsbeth and I picked yucca flowers for lunch, and also some cactus! I'm vegan, and ate SO well there. I even had dinner packed for me on my last day, to eat during my 18hr travel home, which was very much appreciated - and also breakfast to eat during the drive transfer to PG for my early a.m. flight (which also was reasonably priced!) Speaking of the drive - they have the most comfortable vehicle, as much as I enjoyed riding in the back of pickup trucks, a cushy seat was nice!

San Miguel has a bus to and from the village/PG town about 3 times a day. There are bus schedules and information posted under the palapa at Back-a-Bush (first schedule I'd seen in two weeks!) So it is very easy to go into town for a few hours, and then return to Back-a-Bush. Naud also explained an even cheaper way for me to travel to Belize from Toronto, which was great information as this was my first venture out to another country and I have much to learn!

The Cacao Festival was happening and the closing day was held at Lubaantun on May 20th. We drove over, and got to see the theatre performance of Palenque Rojo from Mexico, which was incredible! I've posted a couple photos of the costumes.

I've only been home just a week, but have already devised plans on how and when to return. Belize is so beautiful, and Elsbeth and Naud have created a wonderful spot to stay. They treat guests like good old friends, with great food and conversation! I can't wait to go back soon!

Room Tip: 1 private room with a double bed, or a bunk house with 6-7 beds. Either way, beds are comfy and it...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Stacey B
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I'm not sure where to start! Everything about this place was fantastic. I happened to be the only person staying for 2 out of the 3 nights and the owners Elsbeth and Naud made me feel like I was an old friend come to visit rather than a fee paying backpacker and kept me well entertained the whole time. Elsbeths cooking was superb - lovely healthy home-cooked food each meal. The room was clean and the bed comfortable with fresh flowers on the side (this place is obviously not the Hilton, but for a back-packers was more than adequate). The whole area is beautiful, and they have commandeered the services of a local, indigenous Maya man as their tour guide, who is the most lovely, friendly and knowledgeable tour guide one could hope to wish for. He laughed with me rather than at me when riding a horse for the first time to the local ruins. The owners can arrange most anyhing you want to do in the area with him or one of the other locals. They own 5 dogs, 2 cats, 2 horses and various other farm animals who are all lovely and very friendly. I would absolutely reccommend this place wholeheartedly and if I ever go back to Belize it will be the first place I book.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Lizzie R
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed January 9, 2012

If you are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life then Back-a-Bush Guesthouse and Farm is the place to be! Located in the Mayan Village of San Miguel, outside of Punta Gorda, Belize, this charming guesthouse and farm is only outdone by the amazing Dutch owners Naud and Elsbeth. They welcome you on their property with open arms and fill your bellies with locally and home grown meals as well as the best coffee to be found in Belize. They offer a bunkhouse as well as a private room, and are working on an expansion of another private room that is a converted bus, the "Back-a-Bus." They will also let you camp on their land with your own tent or by renting one of theirs. Their farm is wonderful and boasts oranges, cacao (the chocolate plant), coffee plants as well as other local jungle plants. Naud will take you on a tour of the property and show you a great place to swim and cool off. Lubantuun is a nice brisk walk from the farm and the local villagers are very nice and will help you out whenever you need, just be sure to ask. Be sure to check out the Tiger Cave with Miguel, a local Mayan, who knows the ins and outs of the cave as well as the jungle. Relax, adventure and share stories and great conversations in the jungle with great people in a great location!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple