“What a wonderful place!!”
Review of Chan Chich Lodge

Chan Chich Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Orange Walk B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 22, 2012

A beautiful resort in the midst of a Mayan site in the midst of a wonderful hacienda with a coffee plantation, orange groves, lakes, cattle and horseback riding. There was truly awesome birding. And my wife and I were not birders and we loved every minute. We identified 76 beautiful birds and really got caught up in the whole thing.
Really terrific food and I mean really terrific. The cabanas were great with a giant bathroom and the living space had wonderful louvered sides so it was like being outdoors.
Great day trips to Tikal (Mayan history with great pyramids) and to the fun ATM cave site (again Mayan but with a "water park" feel).
And the staff...I cannot remember anywhere I have traveled across the world where the staff was so very warm and helpful. I should say this again, the staff was GREAT.
We did bird tours with a guide from 6-8AM and 4-6PM along with night rides to look for the jaguars. We took our own walks in the daytime or sat by the very nice pool or in the very nice jacuzzi. We spent 10 days there.
Chan Chich was relaxing and rewarding. Anyone would love it there.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rweis1d

Reviewed April 22, 2012

My wife and I booked a trip to Belize through Orvis this spring. The primary portion of the trip was so I could fly fish for Bonefish and Permit and my wife could relax on the beach. Since we both enjoy bird watching, we decide to combine this with a stay at Chan Chich. Best decision we ever made! I have nothing but praise about our stay which began with a scenic flight from Belize City to the Gallon Jug farm in a small private plane. We were amazed to see deer out in the fields at the farm. After spending most of the day in airports getting to Belize, it was nice to finally arrive at our destination. The resort grounds are beautiful with colorful vegetation and native plants throughout. The staff at Chan Chich was friendly and attentive. We stayed in one of the private cabanas which was spectacular. The bedroom had a king sized bed in the middle with open screens and shutters surrounding it. The bath room was even better with a large double sink lavatory and a huge shower with two rainbird shower heads. The overhead ceiling fan kept the inside temperature cool in fact at night we had to shut it off. Our first night was a memorable one. We turned in early because of the exhausting travel and around 8:00 Pm (it gets dark early), we began to hear a loud growling noise outside our cabana. I knew we were going to see Howler monkees but I thought they began howling early in the mornning and I didn't know what they sounded like. My wife and I were a little concerned at first but then fell asleep. Our naturalist guide, Marvin, informed us the next day that the sounds were Howler monkees. We both got a big laugh out of that. Marvin is a native Belizian and the most wonderful individual we met on our entire trip. He has an amazing knowledge of the flora and fauna of the area and a calm soft personality. We saw everything from Keel-Billed Toucans to Leaf Cutter ants, gorgeous Orchids and yes, Howler monkees. The meals at Chan Chic were great and we especially enjoyed the relative private relaxing outdoor dining area. We also enjoyed sitting on the porch of our cabano and watching the hummingbirds and other wildlife within a few feet of the porch. I would highly recommend this as great place to get away from the stress of work and just relax amidst the natural beauty of the jungle. The only criticism we had of Chan Chic is the temperature of the pool, which sits in a screened in area with beautiful plants. The pool and the hot tub were a little too cold for our liking. It was hard to leave after only 2 days. I recommend staying at least 4 days. We will definitely return to Chan Chic.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Terry D
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My wife and I recently went to chan chich on our honeymoon. Upon arrival we were enthralled with the beautiful, exotic, and luxurious nature of the resort. However, less than seven hours into our stay at the resort, and immediately following our first meal, I began to throw up. It was very trying and very difficult. The firs days of our honeymoon, and I'm stricken with food poisoning in the middle of the jungle!

This was a disaster which didn't get much better. It is difficult for me to rate this resort so poorly, but unfortunately the meal I ate upon entering the resort seems to have directly lead to my illness. What is even more disappointing is that the staff was working with my wife and I " to make things right", but then mysteriously went completely cold on us. Again, it pains me to even write this review. A beautiful resort with a world class location. Yet, to ruin the first few days of my honeymoon and then be unresponsive about the issue is simply not acceptable for the level of resort chan chich claims to be.

Room Tip: All of the rooms appeared to be fantastic. Champagne waiting on arrival. Just, foot issues.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jennifer J
Reviewed February 27, 2012

OK - so my boyfriend and I were a little young compared to everyone else here (we are in our 30s) as everyone else was at least a couple of decades older than us - there was a 91-year-old there - but what a crowd and what a place!

It's set in the middle of a pristine rainforest conservation with the highest number of big cat sightings in Belize - sadly we were not so lucky. The nature and wildlife is simply wonderful. We are not 'birders' but even we novices were blown away by the richness of the nature and birds there. Absolutely stunning.

Comfortable rooms with lovely bathrooms, great food, excellent service, wonderful nature and the chance to hike, cycle and exploreon one's own.

One can take the trip to Lamanai from here, easily - we almost stayed there and am so glad that we chose this place instead, compared to Lamanai, it was simply wonderful.

Room Tip: They are all lovely, we stayed in a deluxe cabana - not sure it was all that different from all the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveller88888london
Reviewed February 8, 2012

This is a very well run lodge with a peaceful setting. You stay in your own separate private villa and can walk right out the door into the jungle. Rooms are serene, although you will want ear plugs because of the howler monkeys. Also, the villas have very dim lighting, so bring a flashlight. Bathrooms are very modern and clean, with huge double showers and separate sinks. The pool and spa are inviting after a day of hiking, although the pool is not heated. It is screened, which is nice. You will notice the mosquitoes, but that goes with the remote jungle setting. Bring bug spray. The trails can get very muddy after rain, but they provide boots, so leave yours at home. Birding is superb, and the guides are extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Food is very fresh and tasty, if not particularly imaginative-- I wished that there were more Belize dishes on the menu. Excellent coffee. We took a horse ride on the Gallon Jug estate, and I highly recommend it. The horses are very well behaved and the guide is wonderful. We loved our experience and hope to return someday.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mngirl1
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We loved every moment of our time with the considerate, competent and friendly staff. Everyone from the waiters to the naturalists were wonderful. We are still in contact with several other guests who we met there - what a treat! I'm sure that we will return one day as it was one of the most lovely places to spend time in nature that one can imagine!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank emresnik
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We visited in early january 2011 for 4 nights and came for the birds and other wildlife and to celebrate my wife's birthday.
Let's get it straight from the start...this is a high class, beautifully run, peaceful and exceptional lodge - a high quality establishment in beautiful surroundings with some very, very special birds and other wildlife and honestly there are no criticisms of this place at all. Chan Chich is the best - the people are so charming and the place so clean and quiet - you never hear 2 stroke engines for blowers or mowers or any noise other than the birds, the howlers at dawn and the ocellated turkeys and the occasional crash as the spider monkeys swing through the trees. It is truly wonderful.
But that's just the start - the guides are superb. We had the wonderful Raol, a knowledgable bird guide who called up a Tody Motmot and Ornate Hawk Eagle straight in front of us - using just his own whistles and no tapes - and we had exceptional sightings of Lovely Cotinga and an exciting glimpse of a Tayra. Raol could not be more helpful and charming - he put himself out for us in every way. I have no idea why anyone would bother to come with a birding organization when these guides are so good, know their birds and where to find them. We took the Discovery package so the guides and everything we needed was included so it was very good value - just for the peace of mind.
I do want to say more about the staff - they were a total delight. They were not intrusive but were there to respond to your every need. We loved our table waitress Marina, just a delight, good sense of humor and we always had a laugh with her. Erica, our bar waitress was also very sweet. But tops was the manageress Lettie, just charm personified and couldn't have been more helpful. The place is wonderfully secure - no need to lock anything up because you are in the middle of the Gallon Jug estates and everyone works for the same estate- and there is no hunting so the wildlife are very tame.
We will be back.

Table Rock Jungle Lodge
Table Rock Jungle Lodge
#1 of 1 in Cristo Rey
Victoria House Resort & Spa

Been to Chan Chich Lodge? Share your experiences!