“Best introduction to Belize”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orange Walk
Lamanai Outpost Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Orange Walk B&B and Inns
Surrey, England
“Best introduction to Belize”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Just thinking about it? Go ahead and book it! We stayed here in early December 2013 so this review is well overdue. The fact is, I just can't stop thinking about this amazing place. 3 nights and 4 days here worked like a balm applied to our body and mind after a hectic year in London.

We opted to arrive by boat and our guide George pointed lots of interesting birds and animals on the way to the lodge. During our stay we enjoyed all our daily activities. Being pretty jet lagged we're up early and able to see a sunrise each morning from the porch of our lagoon facing bungalow. We went canoeing at 6am! Hard work but what a great experience. The night spotlight safari was so much fun, we went twice during our stay. And our last night at the Lodge we were up for a real treat. A family of howler monkeys settled down for a few hours in the tree just above our room.

It was our first trip to Belize and the Lamanai Outpost Lodge was the best introduction I could have wished for. All our guides were fantastic and had a good sense of humour. And the meals prepared by the super friendly staff were delicious. Making friends with a resident cat Tollbridge was an added bonus.

In my opinion it's a must see place. I can highly recommend it to everybody who values fresh air and adventure over a 5* luxury and boredom.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MonikafromSurrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Beautiful place in the middle of the Belizean jungle, so much more than expected! We planned it as our first stop in Belize for one night as we are interested in archaeology and wanted to visit the nearby Mayan city of Lamanai, we were so sorry to not have planned for more days....fantastic location, cozy cabins, clean, safe, great food and the highlight...the closeness to nature. We saw Kinkajous, Howler monkeys, Manatees, crocs, all sorts of beautiful birds, we swam in the river...the whole family loved it!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank CarlosGrzp
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Had a wonderful three day stay here. Its your "typical" ecotourism setup that I have stayed at in Costa Rica, Uganda and other places. A lodge with chalets or small rooms, fixed menu for meals, comfortable and clean and nice but not overly luxurious and most importantly puts you very close to nature. Property is quite nice with beautiful lagoon next to it. Meals were good but after five or six meals we wanted something Western to eat after having Belizean food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Desserts were Western. Nearby are Mayan ruins which are amazing and many nature hikes and outings where were very informative. There is a nearby village were the locals showed us how to make local dishes a thousand years old. Did not feel like a tourist at all and no one bugged us about buying stuff or asking for money. Overall a wonderful stay and I would go back. The only thing that prevented me from giving five stars was the lack of wildlife. Saw a couple of small crocs, a few birds, some night animals like possums, and a bunch of insects. I was hoping for more especially since someone guaranteed I would see at least one Toucan on the trip.

Room Tip: Lagoon view are more expensive and maybe not worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank william d
Hobe Sound, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We recently stayed at Lamanai Outpost Lodge for 3 nights. We chose LOL after finding it in travel books, but mainly because of the high ratings and positive reviews it received on TA. We will now add our “5 stars” to the list of reviews. We had an amazing time! Every single thing we planned/requested was perfect!! Blanca does a terrific job of coordinating it all and answered my 100’s of questions patiently and kindly! As this big trip was to celebrate a 40th wedding anniversary, she even upgraded our room when we arrived and it was wonderful!
Ruben picked us up right outside the airport terminal as we were told, took us to relax at the main office and then drove us for about one hour to the boat launch. The boat is completely open and you leave rain or shine. Luckily the sun was out (and VERY hot). The high speed trip down river takes about 1/1/2 hours. Rueben pointed out many bats, birds, orchids, bromeliads, trees,etc. along the way. We were met at the LOL dock by the staff who took our luggage up to our cabana and then escorted us up to the dining room to rest and relax for a wonderful and refreshing late lunch. We were then taken down to our beautiful cabana overlooking the lagoon. The cabana was made of solid mahogany with beautiful high thatched roof. The ceiling fan was wonderful and so strong we had to turn it dawn sometimes. We never missed the lack of air conditioning. Bathroom was small, but very adequate with big, white fluffy towels. Plenty of hot water at all times. The vanity top was a piece of polished, solid mahogany. Just beautiful! We had read that the cabanas were very dark with poor lighting. However, we found the lighting fine and really appreciated the 2 reading lights on both beds. The cabanas and beds were very clean. We never saw any bugs,etc. Amazing as you are in the middle of a jungle! The bed sheets were soft and sparkling white! If you search around the cabana a bit you will find plenty of electric outlets for recharging phones, computers, cameras, etc (one by desk, one in bathroom, one by bed). The open air dining hall was so beautiful! Amazing to have meals while watching birds, butterflies and hummingbirds all around you. As well as the beautiful view of the river below. On our first night we watched the full moon rise over the river while eating dinner. So special!
Went on 6 great tours, mainly with Raul as our guide. Spotlight safari boat trip, Sunrise Canoe trip, Dawn Jungle walk, Mayan temple tour, Mayan Medicine walk and Sunset cocktail cruise. All wonderful with knowledgeable, interesting and fun guides. Saw many beautiful birds and animals during these tours. Of course, one of the highlights was seeing 3 Keel-Billed Toucans and 3 green parrots over by the Jaguar Temple. They apparently hang out there routinely, so watch for them there!! The mornings seemed to be busy, but we left time in the afternoons to explore on our own and also to take some cool, restful naps in our wonderful cabana or down at the hammock hut. Food was very good with HUGE portions! Wait staff was friendly and very attentive. Banana colada was amazing!! Try one!
Another highlight was hearing and seeing the Howler Monkeys. Saw a troop by the Jaguar Temple and there is also a large troop right at the lodge. They are amazing and fun. I guess we should have "goggled" howler monkeys, as we were totally unprepared for the loud growling noise they make! Almost like elephants trumpeting or dinosaurs bellowing. Very Jurassic Park-like!! Although we were really thrilled with the wonderful opportunity to be apart of the real jungle scene, they were awfully loud at night and early AM. We were up at 1:30am, 2am and 3am and also everyday around 5:30-6am. Made for tiring days (thus the naps!) Ear plugs did help some and one couple used plugs+ a white noise app they had on their phone (a super idea!). It is all part of the wonderful experience, but be prepared! Three days was perfect. We were ready to move on to the next adventure by then. Just about the only negative was the total lack of WiFi. No one was having any luck with that.
Blanca arranged for a flight on a 4-seater plane to take us to the next part of our trip. Everything was so well coordinated!! We were thrilled with our entire stay and would go back in a minute. The LOL has it all! Beautiful river trip, wonderful birding opportunities, awesome Mayan ruins, Howler Monkeys on site, great food, interesting tours with great guides. Highly recommend!!!!

Room Tip: ALL cabanas seemed nice. The Garden View rooms are up top near the dining hall. The ones down by t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pinkflamingo5
Kentucky
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was our third trip to Belize--did some earlier birding trips to Chan Chich and DuPlooy's--both great for birding. This time, we took our 10 yr-old grandson to Lamanai and he loved it. Here are three recommendations:
1) Do the crocodile encounter. Eduardo, our guide, caught an 80 cm. endangered Murrelet croc with his bare hands (from the airboat). My grandson and I got to hold him, properly bound, and my grandson got to collect the data (weight, measurement, sex, etc.) What an experience for a 10 yr-old!
2) The howler monkeys came morning and evening in the trees right over our cabana. They are spectacular animals. And they do howl!
3) The jungle medicine and village lunch excursion (make your own tortillas and tamales) is also fun, espec for kids.

This is a fun place for kids. The lodge is built overlooking a large lagoon on the New River. The breeze cools things off daily. Food is excellent and staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. And the Mayan temples are very interesting and impressive as well.Grey-neck wood rails can be seen on the river, and there are trogons and toucans.

You get there by boat after a van ride from the airport. Be prepared--sunscreen if it is hot; raincoats if it is raining. They supply emergency ponchos but if it is raining you'll get wet. (no canopy on the boats) But heck, it's only water.

It gets a bit sticky at night when the breeze cools down, at least in late May as rainy season approaches. We added an extra fan in our cabana for extra comfort.

All in all a very nice trip, and our ten yr old will never forget it.

Room Tip: we had cabana 9 which was fairly breezy as it was close to the river. Add an extra fan if it gets ho...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MikefromKentucky
Belfry, KY
Reviewed May 25, 2013

From the moment the staff picked us up at the airport (Peter) to the very end when they drove us to the landing strip (Ruben and Eduardo), we felt appreciated, in good and capable hands, and excited to be apart of this inspiring paradise. George navigated us down the New River with expertise, pointing out wildlife galore. George also could park a boat at the dock better in one try than I can park a car with 10 tries. We were greeted at the dock by Sonia (Ruben's wife) who made us feel welcomed and right at home immediately. She ushered us to the dining room immediately were cold icy drinks of hibiscus juice and potato soup were awaiting us. As we looked around in awe at the views, Ruben greeted us to quickly review an itinerary before showing us to our huts. Space in the huts was never an issue because there are 2 queen (maybe doubles) beds as well as a couch bed (which was very comfortable and surprising because couch beds are usually awful). This hut could comfortably sleep 6 people but with the humidity and the strong day breeze disappearing at night I was glad we each had separate beds (we were in hut 15 which was lagoon front). The shower though rarely had hot water (which was fine by me because it was too humid to have hot showers) while our group staying in other cabins had plenty of hot water. The lighting is dim to not attract bugs (because you are deep in the jungle) so a good head lamp or flashlight is a must. The most frequented spot for us though was the hammock cabana with 6 of the most wonderful hammocks facing the lagoon, swaying in the wind, where we spent many of siestas and even contemplated sleeping in at night if not for the fear of tarantulas and howler monkeys paying us a visit. The activities were wonderful (night time nature walk, sunrise canoe ride, howler monkey trek, bird watching, crocodile hunt, Lamanai ruin tour, village life, fishing and my absolute favorite the medicinal walk). You will need comfortable shoes for the walks, an insulated water bottle, bug spray, and lightweight but covering clothes. Even though I joked about this being a fat camp in disguise, sweated more than I ever had before and ate fresh delicious food, I have nothing bad to say about it except I couldn't stay forever. You never have to get a wallet out (unless you buy something from the gift shop or visit the artisan center in the neighboring village) and you never have to make a decision about what to eat (they do that for you unless you simply don't want what they're having and they can fix you something else). They have this Belizean attitude of just going with the flow and making sure you are having a good time. There is wifi but it is spotty due to their remote location and if it weren't for talking to my child back in the states on FaceTime, I would never have thought twice about it. Also one more thing about the neighboring village (Indian Creek), there is a small school there that if I had know prior I would have liked to brought them some school supplies, toys and/or clothes that I know would've been greatly appreciated. Things that Lamanai Outpost Lodge is not is a luxury resort with swimming pools, air conditioned rooms, hot tubs, etc. This lodge is for people to dive into a biodiverse ecosystem where Howler Monkeys and their demonic dinosaur voices may (or may not) wake you up at 2 am or vividly colored Toucans fly overhead or you are walking to your hut but have to sidestep to avoid a scorpion but it's part of the experience which you will learn to appreciate and miss when you're sitting on your front porch back in the states (or wherever). We did all of the activities but you don't have to if all you want is to lay in a lounge chair on the dock and read a book. This would be a great place if someone needed to get away from the world for a little while whether due to a divorce, death or just a stressful job. I literally could write more and more but I think it's shown that I truly loved it and upon completion of medical school, I would seriously consider visiting regularly to provide any services I could for this village as they don't have any regular physician. Our whole group was literally in mourning when we were saying our goodbyes to the staff; it was like leaving our family behind never knowing if we'd be back to see them.

Room Tip: I would highly suggest getting a lagoon front hut to enjoy the views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank AngelBevins
Bar Harbor, Maine
Reviewed May 11, 2013

One man’s rustic is another man’s luxury seems to be the collective theme in reviews here. Those who were disappointed apparently expected more palatial infrastructure with sophisticated food and service. If you are reading wondering how you will feel about LOL, I suggest examining your motivation for visiting Belize. If you are mainly seeking “resort life,” I think you are barking up the wrong tree. If you want a terrific position from which to enjoy fantastic flora and fauna and walk-in proximity to a fascinating Mayan site while enjoying comfortable accommodations and hearty home-cooked meals, you have found the right tree---full of howler monkeys, if you’re lucky. As a return guest, I found again a lovely balance between being “where the wild things are” and having creature comforts for humans. Prepped by last year’s visit, my husband and I were eager to repeat and expand on our experiences. We were richly rewarded with sightings of well over 100 bird species; special thanks largely to awesome naturalist guide, Nathan Forbes, truly passionate and professional. Our first night we came eye-to-eye with Belize’s famous red-eyed tree frog and the ebullient amphibian set the stage for our welcome back. I think there was hardly a time we were not hearing howler monkeys; one troop passed near the Lodge waterfront as we returned from a swim in the lagoon, another practically rendered us deaf when we were walking back from the Lamanai Mayan site. Waterbirds abounded, from all five species of kingfishers to sungrebes and agami herons (which eluded us last year). We saw dozens of yellow-throated euphonias, trogons galore, the iconic keel-billed toucan, and had fantastic sightings of falcons—bat and laughing; I could go on, but you get the idea. If we had any complaints, it was that for our taste, the guided activities were too geared towards returning to base for meals. During the dawn canoe excursion across the lagoon and up Dawson’s Creek, for example, we would have loved to have hung out much longer Creek side, watching birds, etc. Next time we’ll ask to be left behind with a sandwich and canoe back to the lodge at our own pace. That being said, the outdoor dining room at Lamanai Outpost Lodge is a lovely setting and we enjoyed the warm and wonderful care by our “old” and new friends on the staff. Be warned however, they are bent on feeding you three copious meals a day unless you plead to reduce portions or skip courses. Better plan on climbing the high temple a few extra times; you’ll avoid weight gain and enjoy a great view of the surroundings and its inhabitants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lamanai Landings Hotel & Marina
Beck's Bed and Breakfast
Beck's Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 2 in Crooked Tree

Been to Lamanai Outpost Lodge? Share your experiences!