“Authentic Adventure!”

$175.00*
Lamanai and the New River Safari in Belize
$299.40*
and up
Belize New River Cruise and Lamanai Mayan Ruins Day Trip by Air from Ambergris...
More attraction details
Owner description: This site features more than 700 Mayan buildings plus a museum.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We used EcoTours and our guide Randy was awesome. The owner Errol was very helpful and very nice. We went to Altun'ha and the boat ride was beautiful. The lunch was great. It rained torrentially and could have been a disaster but Randy made the experience all the more adventurous! He found specific trees and plants that were used for allspice, incense, medicinal, and he lured a red rump tarantula out for us to see. This trip was superb. I would do it again in a heartbeat rain and all. Thank yoy ecotours, Randy, Errol. :-D

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This place is so beautiful. You start off on a river boat for an hour or so that is so much fun. If you are lucky, you get to see some spider monkeys, howler monkeys and various birds along the way. Once you arrive, you dock your boat and walk by some gift shops that you can visit once your tour is completed. They have a museum and restrooms to see prior to trekking off into the jungle. Our tour guide, nicknamed "Jr.", was awesome. He spoke Mayan, English, Spanish and Creole. He told us that he was an actual descendant of the Mayan culture. You walk through the jungle on paths between each temple, which allows you to see and hear wonderful nature. It had rained for a few days prior to my tour so it was a little muddy. Be sure to bring a little backpack with some bottled water, bug spray and anything else you may want access to during this jungle adventure. The temples sites were amazing and you get to climb the tallest one. I lost count of how many extremely steep steps there were, but there is an attached rope that you can use to assist your ascent. You have to climb to the top if you are physically able. The view from up there is unbelievable. It is worth all of the sweat due to humidity. I absolutely loved this tour. We ate a very delicious authentic Belizean lunch afterwards and then visited the gift shops. Like all tourist traps, the gift shops are expensive for what you actually are getting. The boat ride back was fun as well so I gave Jr. a nice tip. Thanks Jr.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

If I could find a way to review the tour company (Lamanai Eco Tours), I would. Our tour guide (Eddie) seemed to embellish quite a bit on the history of the site. I feel like I would need to fact-check anything that he told us. Also, there was an elderly gentleman in our group who he tried to discourage from completing the tour (he walked slower than most of us, but was very interested in the site). When that didn't work, Eddie just left him behind in the rain. (A few of us stayed back to make sure he was ok & subsequently missed some of the tour because of it. To add to it, Eddie actually gave us some attitude when we commented on him leaving us behind.) The actual grounds are beautiful & well-kept, so I would definitely encourage you to visit the site, just be sure to use a different tour company. Also, because the tour was booked for us (we were staying on Ambergris Caye), we didn't know the name of the tour company until we arrived on the mainland, so be sure to inquire about this if someone is booking for you. All in all, it was an expensive trip & we ended up missing a portion of it to make sure that an elderly gentleman didn't get hurt - And this should have been the responsibility of the tour company.

1  Thank sparkplug123
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Major Maya site, one of the last to survive even after the Spanish arrived. Easily walked paths, a wonderful new museum, pyramids you can climb. A simple well maintained oval shaped walk way. Suitable for both young and old travelers. very inexpensive admission charge, contains 3 wonderful local craft gift shops. great photo ops and plenty of spots to sit and relax. One of the few Maya sites that are maintained and kept up.

1  Thank Dancingbear6
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We visited this site a few times during our first stay in Belize as it was just a short walk away from the wonderful Lamanai Outpost Lodge where we stopped for three nights. What an impressive place with 3 fairly different temples: Jaguar, Mask and High temple. The guide from our hotel was more than happy to make a stop at every archeological structure, talk about the Mayan history and culture as well as point out a number of exotic birds in the jungle around us.

I enjoyed Lamanai the most when we came here around 8am looking for howler monkeys and there was nobody else here yet but my husband and I and our guide. The morning sun shining through the jungle onto the ruins made this place look so mysterious and extraordinary.

2  Thank MonikafromSurrey