“Such A Cool Place!”
Review of Colibri House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Placencia
Colibri House
Ranked #4 of 27 Placencia B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Colibri House was an unexpected delight. I found it on line however as I knew Placencia before as I stayed there I was pretty sure it would be ok. I arrived late afternoon / early eve, and was met by the most friendliest Italian host ever! He met me on site & the next day I had to ck out so I had a nice lunch with him & drove on to Cayo. He knows where all the good restaurants are so just ask him!

Room Tip: Confirm ahead & keep a lookout for the sign. If you get lost , the local gas station gives good...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
ColibriHouseBelize, Owner at Colibri House, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Hi All! This is the first time I am answering to every Guest/Friend who have reviewed us in this Magic site called Tripadvisor. A Magic link that connect Rental Business, Travelers and Tourists of the whole Earth... Thank to All of you and to Tripadvisor our little business, the Colibri House has prospered for years being able to survive also in recent difficult times because of the terrible Global Economical meltdown... It has been taught to everybody but maybe all of us have reached to the end of that tunnel that badly hit many nice Families. I have always thought about all of you hoping that the nice people who have picked up our vacation rental to enjoy their holidays could make it as we have been able to make it until now. I am sincerely grateful to all of you... Now possibly all of us will have to fight again against new Economical Challenges plus the Global change of the weather, so weird and unpredictable here in Belize as in the rest of the World. But I am sure that all of us will be blessed and we will make it again!!! I have always thought that the Karma strongly linked to the Colibri House was good for us and for our Guests/Friends and I hope He helped you as He helped us... Just a thought after so many years (14...) I started this business with Nicoletta, when nobody here or at home in Italy could even think we could make it... I wanted to share it with All of you but now it is better if I will post it right the way!!!! If not I won't be so brave to do it!!!!!!!! ;o)

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Colibri house is hands down the best value, best location and most beautiful guest home in Placencia! I did a lot of research before booking, and I'm glad we chose to stay there.

The house was in a perfect location on the waterfront barely outside of town but close enough to walk to all bars and restaurants. We rented the upstairs apartment, which is a second floor living area with full kitchen and a third floor loft bedroom. The decks have amazing waterfront views. The decor is akin to a Balinese home with dark wood and plenty of personal decorative touches.

Stefano gives you detailed advice for dining and whatever else you may need during your stay, and has bikes for you to use to ride around town. We felt like we got a real feel on the town and it felt like home after just 4 nights.

Notes:
Be aware, there is no AC but if you want the lap of luxury and stiff, crowded tourist resorts then go to chabil mar or turtle inn. They are very far from town and isolated.
Bring bug spray with plenty of deet. You can't dine out without it. There are little no-see-ums everywhere. There are lots of dogs that enjoy barking and running around in the early morning so be aware of that. Also, bring any essentials you will need. Placencia is a peninsula a bit far from a big city and the grocery stores have Higher than average prices in my opinion.

And as for dining, check out every restaurant you can. They are all delicious and have great prices. Rumfish y vino was a favorite. Omar's and de tatch for breakfast. Barefoot is a great bar too. Mojitos at the shack were perfect for a midday cool off.

Stefano and Nicoletta have really succeeded in making colibri house the best option for travelers who want a real Placencia experience.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank jlopez1283

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Colibri house (we had the downstairs studio) was perfect! Stefano was so friendly and answered all of our questions about Placencia. The price for the studio was unbeatable and we found it very comfortable. Complete with a kitchen and dishes so we could make lunch after shopping at the nicest supermarket I saw the whole trip, on the main road just north of Colibri house.The location was great (towards the north end of the sidewalk) and very quiet. We very much enjoyed Placencia. We felt safe the whole time. I was not afraid to walk home alone late at night after leaving the bar (unusual for the caribbean!).

I can't wait to go back to Placencia. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was our second stay at the Colibri House and it was just as outstanding the second time as it was the first time. Stefano and Nicoletta are both so welcoming and will do whatever they can to make our stay the best. Stefano is so funny and we love how kind and dedicated Nicoletta is toward her many Colibri kitties.

The location of the Colibri House is close enough to town to enjoy the activities, but far enough to enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean with more privacy. We spotted dolphins the first morning of our stay this year; the first year we visited we saw a mother and baby manatee on our first day. Now how can any trip get any better ?

We stayed in the upper apartment this year; the previous time we stayed in both the upper and lower apartment. Both are great - I particularly like the upper apartment for the special views from the two different balconies. And what a view there is at sunrise!

Our stays at the Colibri House have been made even more memorable by meeting and getting to know Sam. Sam was a most enjoyable guide to the Mayan Ruins and I enjoyed his story of taking guests to the Jaguar Preserve and seeing a jaguar !!

The Colibri House is more than just another place to stay in a beautiful place with outdoor adventure opportunities. It truly is special because it includes meeting wonderful people - Stefano, Nicolletta, and Sam - who we look forward to seeing again soon.

Clyde and Liz

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Colibri House is a little slice of heaven in Placencia. The first joy is dealing with Stefano and Nicoletta - Stefano is incredibly welcoming, kind, informative and entertaining (as well as gregarious!) and makes staying at Colibri instantly relaxing. This includes his own annotated maps with info on the best places to go in Placencia.

Second, the house is wonderfully romantic. Designed and built by Stefano to withstand hurricanes, the octagonal wooden design also creates its own airflow, so you get gentle sea breezes to cool you while lying under the beautiful dark wood ceiling.

Finally, nothing can beat swinging on the hammocks overlooking the Caribbean, or sitting on the top balcony with a rum gazing at the stars.

Would definitely recommend for romantic retreat, while Placencia is great place to hang out.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank tallsally

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The charming village of Placencia calls us back again, and Colibri House feels just like home. For the fourth time, we have availed ourselves of Stefano's warm hospitality and the delights of this unique beach casita. The artfully designed octagonal house is beautifully constructed of solid mahogany, and furnished with fascinating pieces Stefano has collected traveling the world. On the ground level, you step right out onto the beach from your comfortable room. The second story unit is a bit larger, as the bedroom area is up in a third-story loft, and there is a deck overlooking the Caribbean on both levels. Being a bit at the north end of the village, Colibri House is gracefully out of the center of enthusiastic activity, but quite close enough to everything one could want. It positively oozes charm, as does the proprietor. We keep reservations months in advance, as much to enjoy our "home away from home" again as to hang out with Stefano. Amidst so much that is lovely in Placencia, Colibri House shines.

Room Tip: Make your reservations early! And tell Stefano you saw it in TripAdvisor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barb-Clay

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I don’t think I can add much more to the positive reviews that are listed for Colibri House, other than that my partner and I have been travelling for 8 months now, and this is probably the only place we’ve stayed in that really felt like a home. We stayed in the split-level upstairs suite, and couldn’t quite believe how nice it was for what we were paying. Stefano is great – really entertaining and kind – he let us use a kayak from one of his other properties, and helped us find somewhere else to stay when we decided to stay longer and Colibri was all booked up. I can’t recommend enough for couples, and it would be great for families too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple