“Private Getaway”
Review of Colibri House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Placencia
Colibri House
Ranked #4 of 27 Placencia B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed in Colibri House for 5 nights after spending a week at sea on a catamaran. We wanted to sample the flavor of the village, and to have a nice quiet, private place just to ourselves. Colibri House was perfect. We stayed in the studio downstairs. Windows on everyside to catch sea breezes. Nice open layout inside felt so spacious. Owners super helpful - Stefano and Nicoletta. Stefano gave us map to town on first day and pointed out some great restaurants to sample, and where the supermarket was. All walking distance. Nothing quite like sippin a Belikin in the hammock on the front porch, swaying to the sea breeze and listening to the swish of palm fronds and the soft splash of the ocean for your music. This is close enough to town to walk everywhere - but far enough away that you do not have to listen to bar parties. Wonderful retreat. Very clean and nice. Highly recommend. We will be staying here on our next trip. We were here in July 2010. They did not have airconditioning - but did provide two large fans. It was sufficient for us, but IF you must sleep in frigid temps - then you might want to check with owners first to see if they installed air yet. Electricity is very expensive in Belize. Also - if you can arrange to stay during lobster season - eat it out every opportunity. So fresh and wonderful, and VERY reasonably priced. Go and enjoy!

Room Tip: The bottom apartment is a studio. Spacious. Perfect for a couple, but roomy enough to add people...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LoveToTravel32389
ColibriHouseBelize, Owner at Colibri House, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Hi All! This is the first time I am answering to every Guest/Friend who have reviewed us in this Magic site called Tripadvisor. A Magic link that connect Rental Business, Travelers and Tourists of the whole Earth... Thank to All of you and to Tripadvisor our little business, the Colibri House has prospered for years being able to survive also in recent difficult times because of the terrible Global Economical meltdown... It has been taught to everybody but maybe all of us have reached to the end of that tunnel that badly hit many nice Families. I have always thought about all of you hoping that the nice people who have picked up our vacation rental to enjoy their holidays could make it as we have been able to make it until now. I am sincerely grateful to all of you... Now possibly all of us will have to fight again against new Economical Challenges plus the Global change of the weather, so weird and unpredictable here in Belize as in the rest of the World. But I am sure that all of us will be blessed and we will make it again!!! I have always thought that the Karma strongly linked to the Colibri House was good for us and for our Guests/Friends and I hope He helped you as He helped us... Just a thought after so many years (14...) I started this business with Nicoletta, when nobody here or at home in Italy could even think we could make it... I wanted to share it with All of you but now it is better if I will post it right the way!!!! If not I won't be so brave to do it!!!!!!!! ;o)

There are newer reviews for Colibri House

Reviewed October 7, 2011

Living in the Caribbean, Placentia is for my wife and I a regular hideout. We've been at many accomodations on the peninsula, some great, some less, some not at all nice. This summer we stayed for a week in the lower appartment of the Colibrihouse. Let me just say: we (finally!) found our place! We're usually not that enthusiastic about things, but let me explain why we are this time:

We loved the place right from the start, it is spacious and superbly furnished. The octagonal cut gives a homey feeling inside. The appartment is big enough to sleep 4 (we had friends over) and offers all ammenities that are needed for a self sustaining stay. The kitchen is fully equipped, the fridge huge, the stove a proper 4 burner with an oven - not just a hotplate like elsewhere.

For those of us who can't live without internet (like us) it's comforting to know there is a decent wifi right in the house, so you don't have to schlepp your laptop|iPad|netbook to any cafe or internet place.

But what we really loved was the porch, complete with breakfast table, hammock and a little walkway in the sand. It is just a few steps to the beach with nothing between you and the beach. The porch is nice and shady, ideal for relaxing, reading or hammocking. The fact that you can simply go,bathe and then dry on your own porch is such an advantage to those properties where you have to either stay on a towel at the beach or walk 10 minutes home each time. The porch is surrounded by all kinds of flowers, palms and greenery - we had hummingbirds (Ital: Colibri) as guests every day.

What tops it all is the outstanding friendliness and helpfulness of the host, Stefano. Always smiling he's just a phonecall away. He helped us a great deal with every request we had. It was a pleasure doing business with him, compared to other grumpy landlords we already had in Placentia. He loves animals, so when we arrived with 2 large dogs that was no problem!

Let me just end saying that it is superbly located in Placentia itself. A 5 minute walk from the newest and biggest shop, a 3 minute walk to one of the best restaurants (the DeTatch) and 5 minutes to a fantastic insider-only fishing spot. What else can you want?

Room Tip: The lower appartment is big, breezy and you walk straight out to your porch and off in the sand.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David S

Reviewed August 30, 2011

We really liked Colibri House and found it a great home away from home in Placencia. The kitchen is well stocked with everything you need to make your own meals, and the location can't be beat. Stefano was very attentive and a great host. Our 11 yr. old son enjoyed the stay as well, and it was nice having a bit of privacy from having two floors. He made friends on the beach, and loved the sea being so close, as did we.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gsmsf

Reviewed August 24, 2011

My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon at Colibri House and enjoyed our time very much! Stefano and Nicoletta were very helpful and are very gracious hosts. They will check on you to make sure you have what you need, and Stefano was very good about explaining were to go and some things to do while we were in Placencia. This was a wonderful value, at US$45 per night for the downstairs apartment in the low season. We had a full kitchen and plenty of room to spend a lazy day indoors reading. It's only about 100 yards to the beach through the palm trees and the breeze kept us cool the entire time. Make sure you put the hammock up on the patio at least one afternoon if relaxing is your style.
The Sidewalk that Placencia is famous for is right outside the back door and it's only a few minutes walk into the village. Here you can get what you need at one of the local supermarkets or produce stands to make your own meals or try one of the many restaurants. You can also take one of the bikes that are available at Colibri and ride around the village, although you'll have to go on the road as you can't ride on the Sidewalk.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian S

Reviewed August 21, 2011

We had a great time at Colibri House! It's very comfortable and quiet. Lot's of reading material to get to know Belize better. We stayed in the bottom unit which is an open kitchen, dining, living room, bedroom concept. The place was very clean and I loved sitting on the porch watching the ocean and the birds flying by. The kitties were very welcoming and affectionate. Walking into the village is not far at all, you can be at Mings Supermarket in 5 minutes and get everything you need. It's also far enough from the night life that you can get a good night's sleep, which my sister did a lot! I guess she needed the rest. I would definately book the Colibri House again when I can get back to Belize!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lcowles7

Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at the Colibri house and we love it. It is nicely furnished (including lots of books to read), clean, safe, has everything you could possibly need for a comfortable stay in a quiet, lovely, semi-secluded beach setting. It is close to town yet far enough not to have all of the late night noise of the local pubs. The owner/ managers are delightful and exceptionally helpful with anything you might need or need to know about the area. The house is divided into an apartment and 2-level house above. We have stayed in each unit and liked them both. We highly recommend the Colibri House.

Room Tip: The second/third floor unit has the best view of the ocean above the trees.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Csmazz

Reviewed June 29, 2011

During the second week of our two-week trip to Belize in June 2011, we stayed for the second time at Colibri House in Placencia. Last year we were on the second floor with the loft bedroom. This year we stayed the first few nights upstairs, but spent the last couple of nights in the first-floor unit. So we can attest that both units are charming, comfortable, nicely appointed and decorated. Stefano, Nicoletta and the kitties, as always, make it feel like home. The only reason we can pack up and leave Colibri House is knowing we will be back. And it is worth reiterating how much we like the location on the beach - just far enough from the main part of the Village that it is quiet, just close enough to make the walk down the sidewalk "road" a pleasant amble to a great meal or fun shopping. When we head to the end of the "point", we ride bicycles Stefano provides, an ideal way to get around Placencia. Once again, we cannot say enough good stuff about Colibri House. Therefore, we are making our reservations now for our next visit - all these good reviews may find Colibri House booked solid!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple