“Best place to stay in the village!”

and 1 more site!
Captain Jak's Cabanas
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Toronto
“Best place to stay in the village!”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Captain Jak's is probably the best cabana style accommodations in Placencia Village. The property is gorgeous and has the best service - the owners Erin & Lucky are super friendly and go out of their way to help out guests. The groundskeeper Jason, a young local, is also a sweetie. Captain Jak's is really well located as it's in town but at the front end of the strip so you never have to go far to get a drink, supplies, great food or meet with locals. Some may be put off by the lack of a beach view, but IMO, facing the lagoon is ideal - it's tranquil, private, and we spent the sunrises watching manatee, birds, and the local boats pass by. Fishing off the dock is also a plus (we caught a barracuda, snappers, and other fish which we cooked on the guest house grill!). The cabanas are well equipped, comfortable, clean and very private. The garden is amazing and attracts beautiful birds, lizards, butterflies. The house parrots Barney & Oliver are a riot. We really felt at home and we will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My boyfriend and I spent a week at Captain Jak's and had an amazing time. It is on the harbor side of Placencia, but it is a 2-minute walk (or less) to the beach, which is beautiful. We saved a lot of money by not staying in one of the hotels right on the beach and it was definitely worth it. Having a kitchen was great and the little porches on each cabin are perfect for relaxing. The owners are wonderful and live right there, and are happy to respond to any questions or just chat with you. It is very quiet at night for sleeping and a short walk to restaurants and groceries stores. I just can't say enough good things about this place! Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Lucky and Erin run a cute and easy-going 'mini-resort', that we were LUCKY to get into. They made us feel at home immediately and for about 5 days, we felt like it actually was our home (yet we knew help was right there whenever we needed it).

They helped us book snorkel trips, bike rentals, and even our flight home... All the while, we never felt 'hovered over' like at a hotel. It was right in Placencia, so we were able to walk to every restaurant, bar, or secluded beach easily. That said, Captain Jak's is also tucked off the main street, near the water, so was quiet, secluded and cozy. Beautiful cabanas, lush landscaping, exotic parrots and birds singing all day...

I am sitting back in my cubicle in New York now, with my heart just aching with homesickness for my new home away from home.. We hope to return again and again and again!

Not to mention, all the local restaurants were delicious and I'm looking forward to eating at Omar's one day.

A note- if you book : do it directly from their website, which is www.captainjaks.com

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed in a cabina at Captain Jaks for our December holidays and this will go down as our best vacation ever. Much has to do with our stay at Captain Jaks.

To begin with, unlike many of the other resorts, when you're at Captain Jak's, you are right in town. Steps away from from supermarkets, bars and restaurants. The property itself is meticulously cared for by owners Lucky and Erin, and caretaker Jason. With a huge variety of trees and plants, the grounds attract dozens of different bird and animal species (including two very charming resident parrots). Although situated on the lagoon side, in my opinion, this provided much more privacy, plus we had great access to the mangroves for kayaking (which can be rented on the grounds), fishing right off the dock (I caught a really tasty barracuda my first day, plenty of snappers. and even got to watch the manatee swim by one morning while enjoying a coffee in my pajamas) or even a place to be picked up for day trips of fishing or snorkeling. Not to worry if you're a beach bum as that's really only a 2 minute walk away.

The cabina itself was just the right size. The kitchen came fully stocked with cooking utensils/pots/pans, working stove, microwave, fridge, freezer, etc). It was really clean and we had no issues with bugs or other creatures you may not want. The shower actually worked and we had hot water without any worries of electrocution. Clean towels were provided. The cabina porch was perfect for reading while keeping out of the hot sun.

I'm sure there is plenty I am forgetting right now, but if you're going to Placencia, I fully recommend Jaks.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 25, 2010

The owners, Lucky & Erin, are friendly and helpful. They are able to suggest any outings you may be interested in and know who to contact to make it happen. The property is beautiful with large palms, exotic flowers, & relaxing dock. I didn't want to leave my adorable cabana but when I did, the location of the property was perfect. You are within walking distance to everything you need: restaurants, markets, shopping, & of course the beach! The water is crystal clear and provides the best snorkeling/diving I have ever seen. By the end of my stay, I felt like I was a part of the community. The large resorts I have been to in the past couldn't come close to the experience I had at Captain Jak's. If you want to embrace the Belizian culture and surroundings, this is the place for you!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Lethbridge, Alberta
Reviewed June 8, 2010

The owners, Lucky and Erin, were really what made this place. They were very helpful, and although we didn't book any tours on our stay, they were always offering help. They even took us down to a local bar and pizza place on our first night. The only downside was it was noisy a couple of nights - the neighbor's dogs wouldn't stop barking. Also, if you do stay here, make sure you bring a can of Raid and spray around a bit. It's basically the jungle, so there's bound to be bugs.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank heat912
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Captain Jak's was a peaceful quite place to stay in Belize. It was very relaxing and quiet. We got married while on our trip at Captain Jak's and Lucky and Erin were so helpful with the process. We could never thank them enough for the beautiful wedding they helped plan. They also recommended the best tours and restaurants to us during our stay. After only a few days we knew everyone else who was staying at Captain Jak's, and it became our vacation community. The cabanas were simple yet had everything you could need while on vacation. I would highly recommend Captain Jak's to all our friends and family. This was our first trip to Belize, but hopefully it will not be our last trip!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple