All reviews lagoon side resident parrot golf cart place to stay local homes great view of the lagoon full kitchen monkey river tour with percy nice cabanas snorkeling fishing rent bikes queen bed floor fan the north end no air conditioning howler monkeys wonderful hosts
Reviewed June 27, 2009

My husband and I have never ventured far from Texas, so this trip was a first for us in many ways. First passport and first trip out of the US. We needn't have been concerned about any part of this trip.
Our hosts, Luck and Erin Ivy (owners of Captain Jak's) took care of our every need.
and much more. They made our trip so enjoyable from our stay at Captain Jak's Cabanas to recommending places to eat, showing us the sights, and took us sailing.
The cabanas are beautiful and very well supplied. Lucky and Erin make you feel like family from the minute first meet them.
I can't wait for the next time I am able to go. This will be the place I again and I recommend it to any one looking for adventure, sailing, snorkeling, fishing and just being lazy soaking up the sun on the beach.

Date of stay: May 2009
Reviewed May 28, 2009

We stayed in the villas the last week of April and had a wonderful time. Lucky and Erin went above and beyond to make sure we had a great time. They arranged 2 outings with Percy, a local guide, and made arrangements for a rental car. Lucky recommended we rent a car and take a overnight trip to San Ignacio to see the countryside, caves, mountains, and Mayan ruins. It was one of the highlights of our trip!

Captain Jaks has a great location, everything is within walking distance. The grounds are well kept, the dock area is a great place to hang out, the villas and cabanas were neat, clean and comfortable. Lucky and Erin are personable and friendly and are always willing to help and they have great knowledge of what to do or where to go.

If you go to Placencia, it is best to take Mayan Air, the ride is 20 minutes and worth the reasonable cost. Also I highly recommend Percy for a trip to Monkey river, and a snorkeling/fishing trip to the barrier reef. Percy is great and I can almost guarantee a great time with him.

Reviewed May 17, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here a few weeks ago. I was going to do a review and quickly forgot (as usual). I was pretty impressed with the cabanas. The grounds were quiet and well kept. The cabanas themselves were clean and had a full kitchenette. I was surprised and happy to see some little extras that I usually don't see except in rather expensive places such as good shampoos, thick towels, and high thread count sheets! Very nice extra little touches that make the difference. Excellent value.

Reviewed April 18, 2009

Erin and Lucky were so helpful to us when we arrived; we had had an issue with our rental car, and they went above and beyond to help us out. They were very friendly and helpful with suggestions for places to eat and things to do. The cabana we had was a little cramped, but had a full kitchen, lagoon view and was nice and clean. We were there over Easter weekend, which is "party time" down in Placencia, but it was much quieter at our place than several other hotels we passed, which was good, since we had to get up to scuba dive each morning.

1  Thank lbedenbaugh
Reviewed November 28, 2008

This resort surpassed my expectations. While admittedly, I was looking for a bargain, I certainly wouldn't comprise a bargain for discomfort from any perspective. First, everything inside and outside is spic and span which is tops on the list. The owners are personable and go beyond to accommodate guests. From hosting sailing tours to tasting the best seafood (lobsters so sweet and tender) fresh from the pristine surrounding sea waters. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for serenity, a lively local restaurant, magnificent scenary, a lush rainforest, and much, much more.

Tourist from - New Smyrna Beach, Florida