“Great place to stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tradewinds Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Placencia
Tradewinds Hotel
Morden, Canada
“Great place to stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband and I - late 40s - spent 3 lovely nights at Tradewinds at the end of March. Weather was perfect, and, for the most part, we loved our little hut right on the beach. It had everything we needed - a hot shower, clean towels, TWO comfy beds, screens and shuttered windows, and a ceiling fan. IT's so close to the ocean that you get the wonderful breezes to cool you, but one night I did find it a little too warm for my cool Canadian blood, and the next day asked Janice, the owner, if she had a fan. She was very accomodating, and got me one that day. We'd also arrived a day earlier than planned, and had hoped Janice had a place for us. We arrived hot, sweaty and tired, only to find she had no rooms. BUT, she promptly got on the phone, and called another place up the sidewalk for us, and located a room. She didn't have to do that, but we sure appreciated it. She also got us into our hut the next day as soon as possible, which again we really appreciated.

The hut itself - sure there were a few ants, but I found that in other places too, and I'd rather she not spray pesticides all over it. The ants didn't bite and didn't bother us either. No hot water in the sink - we didn't care. There was hot water in the shower. Didn't drink coffee, so couldn't comment on that. Fridge kept our water cold, and the ocean breezes and quiet gave us a great night's sleep. The only thing I didn't care for - completely out of janice's control - was all the people who kept selling their stuff to us on the beach. Sometimes they'd start at 8 in the morning, and sit in the chairs right outside our hut. We politely declined to buy much, though i did get a bracelet - probably encouraged it by doing that, but oh well. They're making a living too.

All in all, we really appreciated Janice and her lovely daughter Emily, and this place, at $65/night, we thought was a real great bargain.

Room Tip: Definitely get one right at the front of the beach, and on the end of the row if you want fewer neig...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marlene p

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

In exchange for a basic room, you get an INCREDIBLE view. My husband and I could not get over how close we were to the beach, how lovely it was to hear the small waves crashing. We were concerned about safety, so we locked up our valuables in our suitcases when sleeping and when we were out.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrisonville, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

Ms. Janice is the best Hostess!! Had a wonderful stay. Best Beds in Belize!!! We chose this hotel due to the fact the red algae was all over the rest of the beach...This resort had cleaned the beach every morning so that you were not over taken by the smell or the algae. We stayed 3 nights and did two tours with the company at the end of the walkway. Wonderful place!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get one on the ocean...We were a little off the ocean and it was pretty warm in our ro...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Barrie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

I was there a while ago. Ms. Janice's little cabins are a wonderful piece of paradise. The concrete cabanas are simple, but comfortable. Two ceiling fans, two big standing fans, fridge, coffee maker, hot shower, hammock on the porch, Muskoka chairs under a line of palms 15 feet from your door, and another 15 feet to the 85 degree water of the Caribbean.

Each cabin can sleep 4 (two double beds).

Ms. Janice is also (or at least was when I was there) the mayor of the town.

If you're the type that expects to be catered to, don't bother. No A/C, no included meals and drinks. If you don't mind walking the 500m to the Chinese grocery and picking up some beer for $1.50/bottle, you'll love it as much as I do.

I'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for ones in the row closest to the water.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Kemah, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

Don’t expect five star resort or entertaining staff. What you get is the sound of gentle breaking waves and starry moon lit nights. Expect no more than a simple cabana on the beach and you will not be disappointed. A hammock on the porch, ceiling fan, metal shutters concrete floors, comfortable beds, and screens on the windows. For a bonus you get a small frig and Wi-Fi.

This small group of brightly colored cabanas is on the beach. Really, no more than 15 yards from your own porch hammock to “going for a dip”. The amazing property is at the far south end of Placencia, just off the main drag but close to everything.

I’d like to drop a comment about William and his company Belize Shuttle belizeshuttle@yahoo.com or local 620-3055. Without his help I would have not been able to tag along with an entertaining young couple traveling from St. Ignacio to Placencia. It was a real pleasure to tour the countryside enjoying a number of photo opts and stops at Belmopan market, the Blue Hole, and The Country Barn – a roadside ice cream, cheese, yogurt shop.

William hails from the Holland and has been in the country about 15 years. He is a wealth of knowledge and seems to know everyone. Transportation was a near new Toyota van with seating of about 6 to 8. By the way, he is no stranger to Placencia. He calls the Tradewinds owner Ms. Janice – mom. If in St. Ignacio he can be found early morning at Pops Diner. I rate Pops as five star for early coffee and breakfast.

Room Tip: As a walk-in I prefer a full room check before making commitment. Not bad idea to ask for BEST rate...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank paulsmith77565
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

Tradewinds was great.

Things we loved:
-Janice and her daughter Emily were lovely and very helpful
-They loaned us some huge nice beach towels.
-Free wifi, even out in our cabana.
-Our own private deck with hammock and chairs.
-2 big beds - soooo comfy.
-New sheets and towels daily.
-Mini fridge and coffee maker
-Hot water in shower.
-Safe location
-Far enough away from the road and sidewalk to not hear noise, but close enough to walk to everything in minutes!
-drinkable water
-Beautiful beach (combed) out our doorstep.
-2 ceiling fans and great ocean breeze

What we disliked:
-the tiny ants everywhere. But they didn't bite and we stopped 'em with a $2 bottle of ant spray from the store.
-older concrete cabana showing it's age, but we still loved it!
-the provided coffee was less than stellar, but we soon came to realize that Belize coffee is bad everywhere. So I hardly blame Tradewinds.

Room Tip: Get beachfront! Sea Fan Cabana was nice.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gowest03
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

I love my cabana! I would fall asleep to the sound of waves lapping on the beach, with a cool breeze blowing through the windows. in the morning I would lay in my hammock on the veranda and was lucky to see dolphins two different mornings. the property is beautiful and the staff is nice and informative. I an a single woman who stayed two weeks in placencia, I was never harassed or burglarized. I was careful about my personal belongings and securing my cabana before leaving or sleeping. I watched first hand how a couple left their door wide open while walking down the beach to a bar. come on people! it is paradise, but don't invite trouble, the beach is public. would you do this at your own home? I had cash, laptop, cell phone in my cabana, but made sure to conceal and secure. all in all, I thought the tradewind was reasonably priced and the best place to stay if you want a tranquil, no tv, no radio, no a/c (don't need it) paradise.

• Stayed June 2011