“Hidden Jewel”

Laru Beya Resort & Villas
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed February 22, 2009

My husband and I are just now writing as we are daydreaming of Belize and Laru Beya! The setting of the hotel is spectacular. We stayed in a junior suite right on the ocean. It is just a 15 minute ride from the town of Palencia and if you let Pieter or Petro know that you are going, they are willing to accomodate you and give you a ride to town if possible.
They know all the best restaurants and hidden attractions. we took a day trip to the Mayan ruins. My husband went scuba diving several days while I relaxed at the hotel and one day a boat picked us up from the hotel's beach to go snorkeling at one of the cayes. We ate at some local restaurants that were delicious. The food at Laru Beya has a Belizian flair so if a person does not like the food of the country, they can walk next door to Roberts Grove for American food.
You cannot miss this hotel, it has a personal touch and is truley a hidden jewel.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 20, 2009

Had a short but lovely stay. Staff amazingly willing to help with any query or problem. Resort itself was fantastic - rooms, equipment, pool etc all top notch. Our only reservation was the distance from town. This meant that the resort was lovely and quiet and for people with a car it wouldn't be an issue at all. However, without transport and with the restaurant being closed we felt slightly isolated. As I said though, this wouldn't be a problem for a lot of guests and the resort itself is fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2009

My husband, my one year old daughter, and I originally planned to rent a house during our stay in Belize. However when we got to the house we could not find the person to let us in. So we decided to head further south to Placencia to spend the night and contact the homeowner via email.

We checked the rates and availability of several hotels when we got to town...and Laru Beya was our favorite. We planned to stay just that one night; however, we changed our plans and decided to stay the remainder of our 10 day vacation. It was the best idea we could have made on our trip. It was so relaxing and beautiful. My daughter loved the pool, putt-putt course, and playing the bongo drum in the front office. My husband loved using the sea kayak. And I loved the beach and looking at the stars from the top floor hot tub.

This was our first time away from home over Christmas...and I hope to make it a tradition. I want to come back to Laru Beya every year. While the rooms and grounds are gorgeous, the thing that makes this place most memorable is Lisbeth. She was so helpful and sweet to us (even though we had no reservations and no firm plans...just going day by day). She took care of us and made us feel at home...and that is why we will be back. She was fantastic!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank KMoonbeam
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Had a great time at the hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpfull. We up graded to the best room for a very small price. The room was big, clean and comfy. The view from the hot tub was fantastic. We had one problem with the hot tub and it was fixed within an hour. My wife and I would recommend this room to anyone for any reason and will be going back again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scheeljason
Reviewed January 13, 2009

We spent ten days over Christmas '08 at the Laru Beya. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment with kitchen and living space, I was impressed by the effort that was made to welcome us. My favourite were the tropical flowers, like bougainvillea which decorated the beds. The staff at the Laru Beya were friendly and incredibly genuine, they did everything to make our stay wonderful. Including Christmas day, when Santa forgot to bring batteries, Laru Beya saved the day! They helped up organise day trips and one particular stood out, we went fishing one morning and in the evening the chef cooked up our catch and we had it for dinner, our two children were delighted.
It was the first time we've spent Christmas away from home and did not miss the hype and commercialism at all. We all loved Placencia, a laid back village on a peninsula off the coast of Belize. The village was easy to get to by taxi from the hotel. All the people we met there were so friendly and easy going, and we fell in love with the gelatto parlor in town - the best sorbet I have ever tasted!
Overall, the food at the resort restaurant was fantastic, with plenty of options to eat out, all the staff very helpful and I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2008

My husband and I decided to have our wedding reception at Laru Beya. Our best idea to date! It was just as I had imagined (except for the 'many blessings' a.k.a. rain!) Laru Beya made all of our guests comfortable even in the rain! Any requests we had (from food to decorations), were taken care of. Lizbeth was great to work with during the planning while I was in the states. We couldn't have asked for a better place. The staff were fantastic from the start of our trip. What ever we needed was on hand and taken care of. Our rooms were beautiful, the food was great, and we found the best pina colada's EVER! Not only did we make wonderful memories during our trip, we also feel like we made wonderful friends. Our sincerest thank you's to all of the staff (Lizbeth, Lina, Ramona, Ian, Singer, Chef Troy, Rita, Elio, Lisa, Mitchell, Tiger) they are all beautiful people. Thank you for everything, Laru Beya made all of our Kansas dreams come true!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hank-Jazmin
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Laru Beya is an excellent choice when choosing a place to stay in Belize. There are a range of different rooms to choose from, all of which are very nice, and a few even have private jacuzzi access on the roof. There is an infinity pool located in between 2 of the 3 villas on the property, and a large pool deck that's great for relaxing on. The restaurant at the resort has wonderful selections for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and the friendly and attentive staff members will happily whip up a variety of delicious drinks at the bar or even down by the pool. The chef cooks a variety of tasty dishes, and the rest of the staff are very professional. They have a mini golf course that's great for families with kids, and they provide free access to sea kayaks and small catamarans. They have a van which they can transport you down to Placencia, or you can call for a taxi. There's a gift shop in the main office, and the staff will be happy to accomodate your needs during your stay. I've stayed here twice now, and I'd definitely recommend this place for anyone who's looking into visiting Belize.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank jhawk901
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Maya Beach Hotel
Belize Ocean Club, a Muy'Ono Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
#2 of 13 in Hopkins

Been to Laru Beya Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!