“No complaints to be found”

Laru Beya Resort & Villas
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights here in one of the one bedroom suites, in Dec. 2012. We had been to Placencia before, as well as other places in Belize, but this was our first stay at Laru Beya. We chose this partly because of a Groupon offer, for which I felt we got a really good rate for the space.

The rooms are very large, with a separate bedroom and living room area. There is a full kitchen with all of the appliances you would need to cook a full meal (which we did a couple times). Our room included a balcony that spanned both the bedroom and the living room. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is average; we did have some difficulty getting hot water for a few days, but as the title of this review states, it really wasn't worth complaining about.

Unfortunately we visited during a rainy patch of days, so we spent more time in the room than I anticipated! I can attest that there are plenty of TV channels, and also our room had a bookshelf with a stack of magazines and books you could borrow. When the weather cleared up though, there was plenty to do around the ground; mini golf, kayaks, great pool, free bikes to ride into town, and a beach to lounge on.

We ate a couple meals at the resort and were very pleased with the food and the service. One night it was raining so hard, that the owner told us his staff couldn't make it in that night, but he offered to drive us to the resort next door for dinner instead. We agreed, but then before we left some of the staff was able to make it and we ended up staying there. However, we were very impressed with the thoughtfulness of the offer.

Overall I would definitely recommend this property to almost anyone. It is great for couples, families, older travelers, and independent travelers. For ourselves, we missed being in Placencia proper, and would consider staying in town again next time we visit. But, if you are okay with the location being a little bit out of town this is a fantastic spot to relax.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Laru Beya to celebrate our birthdays and we made the right choice Everything was comfortable, the staff very responsive and helpful; and the setting picture perfect! Here are a few tips:
1. We paid a little extra to have a room with a balcony facing the ocean and it was very worth it. I could have spent the whole vacation on the veranda! I even had a massage out there so I could listen to the ocean and watch the pelicans fly by. Super!
2. We booked our tours through the hotel and were very pleased. All 3 times we ended up being the only two people on the trip so we had super knowledgeable guides all to ourselves. Another guest booked through a company in Placencia and someone on her tour broke her ankle and the guide was not very helpful getting her back out the two miles and to a medical facility. While we had nothing similarly bad happen, we felt very cofident in the guides employed by the hotel
3. If you are a light sleeper, you should think about asking to have a room which does not have an adjoining door to another suite. One of us is a light sleeper and the folks in the next room played their music too loud. It seemed to come right through the door. The other person is not a heavy sleeper but is not a light sleeper either and did not notice this as much. Just a thought for light sleepers. I'm sure the hotel must have rooms that are not adjoining.

All in all I can't recommend this hotel enough!

Room Tip: See my tip for light sleepers above.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PatfromArlingfun
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Spent just short of a week in this lovely resort. Had a wonderful time despite the rainy weather!You will recieve personalized attention from the moment you step on the property, and the resort's focus is definitely guest satisfaction....Their greatest asset is their staff. Each and every one is knowledgable and friendly. We will miss their smiles.
The grounds are impecable, rooms comfy, the pool inviting, and let me not forget the restaurant, the Quarterdeck! Best food on the peninsula.....Tried also the Maya Beach Bistro, Rumfish y Vino, and Wendy's. Would recommend Wendy's for local flair if you're in town for lunch, but the Quarterdeck won't let you down!
Did a day trip to Xunantunich, all went well as arranged by the hotel. Long ride to the Cayo District, but worthwhile to see a lot of the countryside, and all the towns. Good lunch at Benny's Kitchen outside the ruins.
The town of Placencia is just a 4 mile bike ride away, make for some fun exploring.
Many thanks to everyone for the memorable experience!
Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms provide an almost oceanfront experience, I could have spent the week in our hammock...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was a terrific not to big not to small resort. Clean, modern, friendly and helpful staff. Close enough to ride a complementary bike into Placencia and if you want to enjoy some of the local flair a 10 minute walk to Seine Bight where we had some of the best local food at Vern's. The food at the resorts, "Quarterdeck" restaurant was wonderful, the chef (sorry I have forgotten her name) had a flair with presentation and was big on personality serving some of her dishes to the table personally. We had a favorite waitress as well, who was always willing to share her knowledge of the country. The beach was clean and one could walk great distances in either direction. From the resort we did a day trip taking us to Nim Li Punit ruin and Blue Creek Cave where we swam about a half a mile (little bits at a time) into the ten mile long cave. The water was surprisingly warm and of course - crystal clear like all the water in Belize. The interior of the cave was breathtaking, the colors of the walls gave a whole new meaning for "earth tones", we did meet a few who had been disappointed with their tubing cave tour, perhaps just the wrong time of year, their butts did a lot of dragging, so we were glad with our choice to swim. No need for a guide to visit Placencia itself, small and quaint, clean and safe. Beautiful place, wonderful country, awesome people. Thanks to all for the enjoyable experience!!

Room Tip: As far as we could tell, every room had a view of the Carribean. What noise?? All of Belize had th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2012

After reviewing resorts in Belize for nearly a year, we chose the Laru Beya just outside of Placencia for our 30 year wedding anniversary. I'm not sure words are going to do this place justice but I will try my best.
We arrived in Belize around 2;30 in the afternoon. From there we picked up our rental car from Budget across the street. I'm not sure if I would recommend driving from Belize City to Placencia to just anyone, but in our case it was a crazy, insane, scary, magical, eye-opening 4 hour journey I would not have traded for the world. If you have an adventuring spirit this is something that should not be missed! I really enjoyed driving thru the small villages and seeing Belizian life and culture up close. Next time though I think we will take the shuttle plane down to Placencia.
When we arrived at our resort around 7 p.m. we were met by an interesting fellow named Ynot.
He was the manager of the resort and was expecting us. He helped us with our baggage and showed us to our room. We stayed at 201 Macaya and it was fantastic! The staff had placed fresh flowers all over the room. Inside the fridge was a bottle of champage with 2 chilled glasses. Our bed was covered with rose pedals. After a long and exhusting day we couldn't have been more pleased!
We ate quite of few meals at the Quarterdeck restaurant. The food there was absolutely wonderful and quite reasonable. The staff there were terrific. My wife and I loved how it overlooked the pool and the ocean.
We scheduled our tours of the Monkey River and kayaking on the Swayzee river thru Tim at the front office. He made sure everything my wife and I wanted to do and see was taken care of.
If you only take one tour in Belize go on the Monkey River tour! Our guide Jason was the best. Plus, we were the only ones on our tour boat! Buy the end of the tour I felt like my wife and I had made a good friend in Jason. He lives in Monkey River and showed us around the community. It was a great day!
As far as the kayaking trip, make sure you have some experience. I had been going to the gym for several months prior to our trip but I got to tell ya, this one kicked my butt royally! Thanks to Bonsellio and his father I managed to survive. They were excellent guides and great people to spend the day with!
At the end of the week my wife and I was totally in love with Laru Beya and the country of Belize. Right now we are trying to figure out a way we could show our adult children and grandchildren this beautiful country. We will definetely return!

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are the bomb!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank tk6000
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was our first trip to Belize,after arriving in Placencia a very small airport I thought,what have I done. The staff from Laru Beya Resort were there with a warm greeting and made us fell welcome. After arriving at the resort the staff were friendly and a tour of the property,brought our luggage to our room. The room were very nice and what few little problems were taken care of very quickly. The restaurant on site was priced right and very good food.

When we come back to Placencia we would definitely stay at this resort again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DIVE60
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I love Belize! My last visit, the week before Labor Day, took me to Placencia. I chose Laru Beya on the sterling recommendation of a Belizean national I had met professionally. I was not disappointed. The place was perfect and exactly what I was looking for: medium-sized resort with full service and amenities (acquatic equipment, bicycles, swimming/whirl pools, spa services), very well appointed rooms with a kitchen, .... And the beach just steps away from the oceanfront veranda.
The staff was very friendly, accommodating and competent. The restaurant offered delicious Belizean fare at very reasonable prices. I have a craving for their stuffed Jack!

Room Tip: Travel off season for the best value. Oceanfront rooms are definitely the way to go.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carlos V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Maya Beach Hotel
Belizean Dreams Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
#2 of 13 in Hopkins
Almond Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Laru Beya Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!