“Beautiful beach, great staff, delicious food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Laru Beya Resort & Villas

Laru Beya Resort & Villas
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Toms River, New Jersey
“Beautiful beach, great staff, delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We arrived at Laru Beya after a 3 day sail and we were very happy to be greeted with a beautiful property where we could relax. We arrived late at night after the office closed but security called the hotel manager who was there in 5 minutes to help us. All of the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the beach is beautiful and relaxing, the pool was clean and right on the beach, and there are kayaks available to use. Laru Beya was just what we were looking for after 3 days of sailing! The hotel is about a 5-10 minute ride from town, the hotel manager or restaurant on site can call you a cab and then at the end of the night cabs are all around to take back. We had a delicious breakfast the next morning - all fresh fruit and of course more smiles from the staff. All in all a great place to stay if you are looking for a few relaxing days on the beautiful beach of Placencia! Have fun :)

PS. If you make it into town go to De'Tatch restaurant for dinner it was absolutely delicious - probably the best dinner we had in Belize! And check out the Barefoot Beach Bar for live bands and great dancing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I had a mixed hotel stay in Placencia. A few days of local color @Ranguana Lodge and then a few days of peace and quiet at Laru Beya. I enjoyed both places for these reasons. LB was indeed quiet as it was off season and very few guests were around. Again, no problem for me! The room was simple and tasteful and well cleaned each day. The pool is lovely and the beach as expected. The staff really went to great lengths to find day trips for me. Alot of places weren't booking day trips because of the low season. The restaurant was great but a little overpriced and it was the only restaurant around. In fact that would be my ONLY complaint, Placencia Village is too far away to walk to, so if you have no car, or other mode of transportation, you have to eat at the Quarter Deck. Still it is great food and very friendly wait staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

This hotel is gorgeous. The staff was amazing. I had a real medical emergency, my girlfriend was sick and vomiting, the staff called me a doctor, and the doctor gave my girlfriend a shot to stop the vomitting and he suggested hydration and soup, but it was so late everywhere was closed.
The chef even though her kitchen had already closed for dinner made my girlfriend a chicken soup that my girfriend loved.
The worker openned up the locked store area to get me water bottles. Needless to say had I not had their help the trip may have taken a turn for the worse.

My girlfriend was sick cause we had a whole day in a hot bus from Belmopan to Placencia and the bus wouldn't let anyone get off to get water and stuff. But that's a regular bus route complaint.

The resteraunt was reasonably priced, I had been in Belmopan and had been overcharged for food so it was nice to have affordable delicious meals. We ate there almost every meal but I had to get a taste for the local stuff to and we ate at Danube, an austrian resteraunt within walking distance, and the Barefoot Bar in Placencia, both of those were delicious as well.

The hotel even arranged for our tour, and our flights, it was great not having to worry about anything.
I am absolutely positively going back someday to this hotel.

Room Tip: Why get an ocean view room? Just walk outside room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

We were family and friends for a total of four rooms for four nights... two before a Moorings charter, and two after the charter. The best feature of the hotel was responsiveness to calls and emails and an ability to accomodate reasonable changes. I liked the setting several miles north of Placencia proper and the landscaping and the white-lined concrete walks... wierd stuff. Being a short walk across the main penisular road from the Moorings was a real benefit. We all appreciated the free WiFi on premises and a decent PC in the lobby for those travelling light.

I thought the restaurant was also very nice... early coffee (local stuff called Gallon Jug Arabica, similar to Peet's Major Dickason blend) on levels overlooking pool and grounds. Wait staff very friendly, attentive and the food was outstanding. They even extended hours for us one evening due to a scheduling hiccup. The hotel arranged Belize airport pickup and drop and the driver and van were tip-top... the cost reasonable.

No phones in room kills room service and wake-ups and concierge-style planning. Some construction remains to be completed.

Room Tip: Some top flr rms have spa up a steep outside stair
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cat-Sails
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

Ten of us recently stayed here before a bareboat charter with Moorings. The Moorings / Sunsail base is on the lagoon side, and Laru Beya is just across Palencia Road on the Carib side. I have stayed in several hotels that were affiliated in some way with Moorings and Sunsail, and Laru Beya was by far the best. Lizbeth at the front desk is great, and she arranged a bonefishing trip for me that I will never forget. We loved the staff, Trinnell's cooking (the best conch chowder I've ever had), Manny's rum punches, the pool, and the low key atmosphere.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

A number of us stayed at Laru Beya before embarking on a sailing trip. I arrived early and toured the country first. The accomodations were wonderful. My room was at the pool, completely comfortable and everything worked perfectly.

The bar and restaurant are basically tree houses above the ground by 20-30 feet and accessed by a lovely staircase. Since they are higher up, and open on the sides, there is always a wonderful cool breeze blowing through. And, there is a nice view of the pool on one side and the jungle on the other. Food and drink in the bar/restaurant are outstanding. We ate in town only once because the food was so much better at Laru Beya.

And the staff is the best. They arranged some great travelling for me and were completely attentive to the needs of everyone in our party. A really great spot made even better by a great staff.

Only negative is that although the resort is located right on a nice beach, with chairs, umbrellas, etc., at least when we were there, the water was pretty stirred up and so was silty and dirty with seawood and other junk. But the beach is a nice place to relax, and after a long day of vacationing, the pool is perfect.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

Spent 11 days at Laru Beya and the only complaint was that the ice in my drink melted too fast. This place is great - rooms are large, comfortable and clean. The staff went out of their way time after time to make our stay even more enjoyable. Laid back with a personal approach... It doesn't get ant better. And their dive shop (Ocean Pro) is first rate. We're returning in November.

• Stayed May 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Maya Beach Hotel
#4 of 19 in Placencia
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Laru Beya Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!