“W”
Review of Seaspray Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Placencia
Seaspray Hotel
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Even if the rooms are a bit run down, the staff keeps Seaspray spotless. It always smelled like clean sheets and towels in our room. We were basically only in the room to shower and sleep, so we didn't need any of the amenities that more expensive hotels around here might have. The grounds are kept clean and the walk to the water takes about ten seconds! There were usually plenty of chairs available at the beach. I had one good meal and one so-so meal at D'Tatch but the laid back atmosphere and location of the restaurant was great. My only complaint is about a mix up with the Maya Island Air flight that the staff booked for us. I asked if it allowed us enough time for the connecting flight and the answer I received wad about how long the flight takes. I decided to talk to Maya directly and got the flight changed. Seaspray gave me ten minutes to catch my connecting flight and Maya said I should plan on 2 hours. So Maya changed my flight but then I got some attitude from the Seaspray office for taking care of the change myself. The woman at the office said she had already changed my flight but Maya had no record of that. (Side note- it costs less if you book your own flight instead of having the office do it.) Otherwise we were very happy with our stay and would absolutely recommend Seaspray to anyone visiting Placencia!

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank collivan

Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed in room #8 which had 2 double beds with very hard mattresses one of which was very lumpy. The room was $60/night, very basic, nothing fancy. We had a small kitchenette with a fridge and microwave, no stove, air conditioner - which we never used, in fact we had to use the bed spread on several nights that were cold and rainy - a shower that could peel paint and a balcony from which you could view the ocean. The TV had cable but there was no guide either on screen or in print to tell what was on. The staff was friendly and made up the room every day.

Right next door was the De-Tatch restaurant with great food reasonably priced and a friendly staff who got the orders out quickly enough. It was noisy at night but they shut it down around 10:30. It's not a party bar or anything

In general I would recommend it if you're just looking for a place to stay and don't care about plush accommodations. The place is old and showing it but it's not falling apart. It's clean and comfortable and good enough. We'll go back. One caution: the picture on the website is Seaview II and bears little resemblance to most of the other rooms

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed in one of the more bigger rooms which had everything we needed and was great value including a whacking great balcony with sea view between the waving palms. On the day we arrived we dumped our bags in our room and walked down to see the sea like excited kids (well, we're only in our 60's) and there to greet us about 100 yards out were a school of dolphins. We saw them most days and once we thought we'd spotted them at the mouth of the lagoon, but on closer inspection they turned out to be manattees!

I fished off the beach at dawn and dusk for an hour or so, and caught bonefish and big jacks right in front of the hotel on a bit of shrimp. Several times I had a fish on and then a barracuda got in on the act and bit me off. Wish I'd tried lure fishing on reflection.

De Tatch restaurant next door served wonderful food every night and are so generous with their shrimp dishes - it was always a struggle to eat them all but somehow I managed it! They were happy to cook the biggest jack I caught, although it was far too much for us so the staff had the rest. They close at 10pm so there was no late night noise apart from the waves on the beach.

Seaspray have kayaks for rent, and if it's windy you can also hire them from Captain Jack's on the lagoon side which is only 5 minutes walk away. He's happy to let you fish from them and there are lots of barracuda and snook in the lagoon. I tried trolling with a rubber shad but the barras kept biting the tails off. Should have used a rapala!

Placencia was wonderfully laid back and the people were all friendly and welcoming apart from one miserable lady working in,of all places, the Tourist Information Office!

The deep, soft sand was kept clean by a young man with a rake every morning and there were no nasty surprises in the sea when swimming. We like to walk along the beach and were astonished to find lots of pummice stone washed up one morning, presumably from some far distant eruption.

2  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed February 11, 2011

We spent about 5 nights at this hotel in low season (begining of October). It was perfect only about $10 a night because of low season. It had everything you need as a backpacker.. including mini fridge and fans! It was right on the beach with great beach chairs for the guests! It was awesome, we thoroughly enjoyed our time there and in Placencia in general! Just a quick walk to all amenities which was great! Front desk staff was awesome and helped us out with ferry schedules and phone calls. Also had wireless internet which was a bonus! One of the best spots on our three month trip!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We booked the only cobana at Seaspray. It was comfy with two double beds, en suite, kitchen area and TV.
The cobana was right on the palm tree fringe of the beach, which in January was quiet.
It was nixt to the Thatch Cafe, which convienient, was a little noisey at 7am with breakfast customers as the cobana had no glass, just mesh.
Staff were friendly and the hotel is a short walk to the main street where there's a nice variety of bars, restaurants and shops .

1  Thank SteveAllart
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Seaspray hotel was great , we stayed for a week . People are friendly .
Not as friendly as caye caulker , but thats an island ...maybe thats why . Nice places to eat and we visited the mayan ruins from here . We organised the trip ourselves , because the tourguides prices were out of control.Definitely worth a visit , xynantunitch , closer to san ignacio, so if you rent a car from belize city , you could drive by there first.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Great place in Placencia, along the sidewalk (one of the narrowest roads in the world), straight at the beach. Rooms come in various sizes, I stayed in one of the bigger rooms, including a kitchenette. Clean, spacious, big balcony with sea view. Restaurant serves great cocktails and dito food!

1  Thank WalterAdvices