Seaspray Hotel
$340
  • Pool
$150
$130
Paradise Vacation Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
$139
Turtle Inn(Placencia)
$339
  • Breakfast included
Maya Beach Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
$169
$127
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssea sprayde tatcheconomy roomcheap roomprivate balconyceiling fangreat budget hotelsmall kitchenetteoffice stafftipsy tunasecond floor balconywithin walking distanceper nightbeach chairsfull size fridgeking bedhot water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I went to Placencia for a sailing trip with Tradewinds Cruise Club and stayed at the SeaSpray for 2 nights before the sailing trip. As a retiree with limited funds, I was looking for value.
I stayed in the SeaStar room with a private porch, overlooking the beach for just $57.50 a night with refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster, microwave and TV.
Very nice. The room and hotel were clean and kept up well. The location was great. The people, Jodie, Rhodesia and Verna as well as others whose names I did not get were very friendly and helpful. There was a supermarket practically next door.
The De Tatch restaurant was next door and the food was very good. Great lobster salad
for a reasonable price.

It was quiet yet in town.

I would not hesitate to stay at the Sea Spray if I am every in Placencia again..

Room Tip: There are many styles available and the web site is very helpful in describing the rooms. The Sea Star was perfect for myself, a single lady retiree, with the private porch over looking the beach. If I were staying in summer, I would probably choose A/C, but November was perfect with the nice winds.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank pineislandgirl8
Reviewed September 23, 2011

had a great time staying at this budget hotel,very close to the beach, and easy to get around town. would stay here again if in this little town in the future. came with a group of more than 20 people and heard very little complaining about this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank richard c
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Seaspray a long time ago now... it was in February of 2008. In rereading my reviews of our trip for nostalia's sake, I realize that I neglected to write a review for the Seaspray. Pure oversight.

We booked our week there solely on the information we gathered fromTripAdvisor reviews/photos and some brief email correspondence with the Seaspray Hotel office staff. We were thoroughly delighted with this little property on the Placencia's beach.

We arrived in Placenica early in the day... around 11am. Naturally, our room wasn't ready for us yet, but we were able to put our baggage safely in the hotel's storage room, have some brunch at Da Tatch and relax on their beach chairs, taking in the view, while we waited. We found the staff in the office, the restaurant and around the property to be nothing but friendly and helpful.

Our second-floor room faced the beach.... what a gorgeous morning sunrise view. Although the room was relatively small, it was only because it was crammed full of anything we night need. It had a comfortable king-sized bed, a large armoir, a small loveseat, large fridge, full bath including a regular-sized tub (and plenty of hot water with good pressure), a kitchen sink, coffee maker, and all the cutlery and dishware that we could use. We did not have air conditioning, but there was not a single day that we missed it... and I like a cool room... the ocean breezes coming in the windows and the two fans were more than sufficient.

The beach itself was lovely. There is some seagrass along the shoreline, but only in patches. The sand is not powder, by any means, but a nice soft sand that is raked clean early every morning. The hotel offers nice large wooden adirondack-style beach chairs at no cost. There is plenty of sun and some nice big palms to offer a shady respite. During the short time we were there, we experienced a couple of rough, stormy days not suited to swimming and also a couple of days in which the water was as smooth as glass. Heaven.

The Seaspray's restaurant, De Tatch, was fantastic. An open-air, thatched roof eatery overlooking the sea, they offer delicious Belizean food at very reasonable prices. Although we didn't try an evening meal here (we were usually out and about) we did try a couple of their breakfasts and lunches. Not a single item we ordered was undervalued or lacking in portion! One morning, we were very disappointed that we decided to try the stuffed fryjacks, though, but only because we had no idea how HUGE they would be and we were in a hurry to catch our snorkelling boat on time. Sooo yummy but sooo big! I thought that it was a good sign, too, to often hear a couple of locals there, chatting with the staff while grabbing a bite.

The location of the Seaspray was exactly what we were looking for. It is literally on the beach and central to other restaurants, bars, and shopping. There wasn't anywhere in Placencia that we wanted to go that we couldn't get to in a short walk from the Seaspray. Some previous contributors complained of insects. We didn't see any ants. There were a couple of mosquitos in the evening, but certainly nowhere near as many as we have at home. And there were a couple of annoying sandflies a couple of days, but a few swats and little dip in the ocean took care of them.

Now make no mistake, this is not a 5-star resort. It is a small, modest hotel in a small, modest seaside town. So be realistic as to what you expect. There occassionally are bugs in tropical places. Sometimes it is hot. Sometimes it is windy. Sometimes they do not have the exact fish you want that day (because it didn't happen to be what they pulled out of the water a couple of hours ago!). But it was just what we had in mind and I hope that we have the opportunity to visit the Seaspray again someday. And I hope that we find it exactly as we left it.

Room Tip: We loved the second floor room that faced the beach. It was a corner room overlooking the restaurant. Was it #21? It was quiet, cool and had a gorgeous view.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jl2000mail
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Stayed at the Seaspray for 2 weeks last of July and first of August. Great value! Room was clean and serviced daily by friendly staff. Was always greeted by name by office staff. Not a fancy place but right on "main street" and the beach with food nearby. Would have appreciated a coffee maker (some rooms have them but not all) and more widely available internet access (available near the office). Felt very safe and able to relax with all night security. Was able to scope out other places in Placencia village and this was the best overall for the $ in my opinion.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sharon D
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I am the president of a children's charity that has been bringing 20+ people to Belize per year, since 1990. (www.bookbagsanta.com) Our base in Placencia is always the Seaspray. Their rooms are the best value for the money- you can spend a LOT more and stay in luxury at Turtle Inn, but even the Seaspray's Economy rooms have refrigerators- it's easy to lose sight of what a luxury THAT is, in the tropics ! Come on- a fridge in a $25 room ? This is a small, family-owned resort that goes out of it's way to accomodate it's guests- I have always had plenty of clean water in the shower, and the maids come in every day with fresh towels, and soap- no chocolate on the pillow, but sometimes I find flowers in the bathroom. I have never had a complaint about bugs, but- read my lips- this IS the tropics !
We are always there in mid-summer, and it gets hot during the day, but even in Room #1 (farthest from the beach) it is cool at night, and I sometimes have to pull up the bedspread before morning... They only have a few rooms with A.C., but it's really not necessary.
If you're a spoiled, whiny, luxury-tourist, demanding A.C., room service, and a phone in the room, the Seaspray might not be for you, but if you want a clean, basic room, on a beautiful beach... I reccommend it-
Oh yeah- after a week or two of trying all the restaurants in town, my group always ends up saying that DeTatch has the best food, and they should have just saved time & money by having their meals next to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends