Maya Breeze Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$170
$153
$197
$158
  • Pool
$150
$130
Paradise Vacation Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
$139
Turtle Inn(Placencia)
$339
  • Breakfast included
$199
Maya Beach Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
$169
$127
Hatchet Caye Resort(Placencia)
$350
$340
  • Pool
Miller's Landing Resort(Placencia)(Great Value!)
$120
Agoda.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
A TripAdvisor Member
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed January 1, 2006

I am writing with a story that could have been much worse were it not for the exceptionally thoughtful actions of two innkeepers in Placenica, Belize: Buddy and Tressa Olson.

On December 26, my husband and I departed for our honeymoon. We spent the first evening at the quiet beachfront resort, the Maya Breeze Inn. The next morning, we decided to bicycle to Seine Bight, a Garifuna village just a couple of miles south.

Just before arriving in Seine Bight, I accidentally rode into a pothole and began to fall. In an attempt to steady myself, I put my left foot down. Unfortunately, I did not have a firm foothold and my foot slid. We would later learn I’d suffered a bimalleolar fracture of my left ankle.

The local doctor in Placencia advised x-rays. We were at a loss. Although we had travel insurance, we were thousands of miles from home and had no idea how to obtain medical care. We returned to our resort and explained the situation to the Olsons. Without missing a beat, Buddy went in search in crutches for me (and offered to fashion a pair in his workshop if none could be located!) and Tressa called a private hospital in Belize City where she arranged for me to see an orthopedic surgeon the next morning. Even more generously, they offered to exchange the excursions to the Jaguar Preserve and Laughing Bird Caye we’d pre-arranged hiking trip for a sailing/snorkeling trip and drive out to Xunantunich (Mayan Ruins) for only the difference in cost – no fee for their trouble.

The next morning, Buddy drove us to the airstrip in Placencia. A few hours later we arrived at Belize Medical Associates and had x-rays. Unfortunately, I would need surgery to set the bones. Of course, we were devastated at news. We’d married April and, given the nature of our respective jobs, delayed our honeymoon until December.

We called the Olsons to let them know we’d be departing as soon as possible for the States. Incredibly, they insisted on trying to find us a place to stay in Belize City so I could be spared the flight back to Placencia and a return flight the following day. They packed our things and sent our luggage as cargo on the next flight to Belize City. At the high of tourist season, they found us a comfortable room a short ride from the medical clinic. They arranged our flight back to the United States while my husband went to the pharmacy and checked us into the hotel in Belize City. We managed to return safely and I underwent surgery on December 31.

I cannot overstate the thoughtfulness, care, concern and utmost professionalism of this wonderful couple and their staff. From the moment of my injury to our departure, they were offered their assistance and expertise without hesitation. My husband and I could not imagine how confusing and frustrating the days following my injury would have been were it not for their many kindnesses.

If there is any sort of list, award or recognition for truly exceptional service, the Olsons and their staff should be the first to receive consideration.

Oh, and the day we had before the accident was wonderful. The breakfast was terrific, the water beautiful, and the resort clean and comfortable. If/when we go back, we'll stay at the Breeze again - minus the bicycles!

• Stayed: December 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Sumas Washington
Reviewed December 19, 2005

For ten days I completely forgot work, home, day-to-day troubles, you name it....Our cozy cabin was 40 feet from the warm water's edge and we awoke to sunrises so colorful folks back home asked if it was real....The Staff and Owners of the Maya Breeze Inn made life just that, a breeze....The time flew bye unbelievably fast with Scarlet Macaw trips, jungle river trips, snorkeling trips, sailing trips, fishing trips, and more.... We saw and took great pictures of all manner of wildlife including Alligators, Howler Monkeys, Herons, Macaws, Iguanas, Turtles, Manatees, Dolphins, Coati Mundi, Grey Fox, and many more....
The local people, food, and sites made for a calliope of sensation leaving us numb on our return home...My only bad feeling is that we had to leave and return home.... We want to go back.... Now....

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Violetta M, Owner at Maya Breeze Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2015

Alligators, Howler Monkeys and Manitee Oh' My! Dolphins were just spotted off coast of The Breeze, and we hope that you will consider planning another trip and staying with us on your next adventure!

Reviewed November 13, 2005

I was just reviewing my photos of our trip this past Oct. and felt the need to write. Maya Breeze is located in the best spot on placencia pennisula, close to all attractions while maintaining a feeling of being secluded. Maya beach is a small community all it's own. A few resturant's and a small store, make you feel like your in a village not a resort. We rented a car, which i would recommend if you would like to see all Belize has to offer. We saw all we could, reef/rainforest/ruins, in a week. I just wish I had more time! The staff at Maya Breeze was just the best!Jessica and my five year old daughter bonded at first sight. Buddy and Tressa made us feel like old friends come to visit, Buddy went as far as repairing my rental car! Just great people. If your looking for the Ritz this is not the place for you, but if you want to experience Belize as it should be and hopefully will stay for years to come, this is the spot!

• Stayed: October 2005
11  Thank morgan2000
Reviewed September 13, 2005

My wife and I stayed in Suite E which I wouldn't recommend since it overlooks the beach but doesn't have a front deck with hammock like the others. The place is nice and has a rustic Caribbean charm to it. The staff- Glenda, Alex, and Joyce - were great.

Be prepared - Maya Beach is about 30 minutes from Placencia on a bumpy dirt road and cab cost $15US each way. Not a big deal if you just want to hang out on the beach and enjoy their kayaks. We did a trip with South Belize Reef & Jungle which I would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2005
7  Thank sskeeter
Reviewed June 6, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a 7 night trip to Belize. We spent our time in Placencia at the Maya Breeze Inn. The cottages on the beach have a terrific view of the caribbean with lounges and hammocks to enjoy the shade and sea breeze. We stayed in one of the 4 roomy hotel rooms across the street. We had a good view of the sea from our balcony and a sunset view off the back verandah. Tressa and Buddy Olson, an American couple with a passion for diving, built the cottages and Inn themselves. The hotel rooms have air conditioning, ceiling fans, refrigerators, tv/cable, and a small table with chairs. Tile floors and mayan prints make the rooms interesting. Even better than the beautiful and very clean rooms is the staff. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. When you go into the cafe for breakfast it feels so homey. Breakfast is prepared in an kitchen open to the dining area. Everyone gathers there in the morning, including Buddy and Tressa to talk about your dives the day before or what adventure you're going on that day. To top it all off they have a great deal on summer and fall stays. We had 7 nights at the hotel, free use of kayaks and bikes, and a free snorkel trip to Laughing Bird Caye - a world heritage site - that we upgraded to a dive trip, and a trip to the Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve. Our guide on the Cockscomb Preserve trip, Seph, was amazing. He knows all the birds and most of the plants along the jungle path. After a steamy walk in the jungle we tubed down the river for almost an hour watching fish jump out of the water, birds in the brush along the river, and even two howler monkeys. The tours were really great, thanks again to Maya Breeze and their selection of local tour guides. One of our highlights was kayaking from the beach to Lost Man's Caye, a mere 45 minute paddle on crystal blue water. The mangrove island is surrounded by coral heads and it is a real treat to snorkel and see all the great fish and marine life.
I recommend the Maya Breeze Inn to anyone who wants a nice quiet place to stay with friendly staff, excellent home made breads at breakfast, and an opportunity to relax and also have a real adventure. Check out their web site for great specials. You can't beat their packages.

11  Thank MalucaAnnie
Violetta M, Public Relations Manager at Maya Breeze Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great description of you experience. If you ever come back to Belize we invite you to stay with us again