“Quite nice”

The Placencia Hotel and Residences
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We have been to this resort twice. We found it to be quite enjoyable. The condo we stayed in was gorgeous and very clean. The pool is large and warm and gorgeous. We loved the swim up bar!! The food in the resturant was very tatsey. The peir bar was great!! The beach was nice. The water wasnt as clear and blue as other places we have been but it was very warm. The grounds are gorgeous. The staff are very nice and helpful. We booked a couple of snorkel and dive excursions that were great!! Belize is the best snorkeling we have ever had. The Mayan ruins were fabulous also. We had a great stay!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SnorkleT
There are newer reviews for The Placencia Hotel and Residences

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Room is a little spartan, but everything is functional and clean. Good tv in room. Beautiful pool and beach area. The thing that makes the experience great is the new chef, Laurant. Not only is he a great French chef, he is Mr. hospitality. He makes you feel like you have your own private chef. Mariano, our waiter was also wonderful and provided excellent and professional friendly service.

Great people make a great experience.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ray2k
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have traveled to Belize 6 times now, and i will not stay anywhere else. The Placencia resort is definitely the safest and cleanest place in Belize. Like i tell everyone of my buddies about Belize. Don't expect a senior frogs filled with college students passed out on the floors. Belize is not a party driven tourist country. Its a pure, untamed part of the world that offers beauty, culture and history beyond your imagination. And The Placencia is the perfect launching place to experience that. If you want to experience a world that doesn't have a McDonalds around every corner. The Placencia staff will help you get there. If you want to get lost and away from the daily rat race. Belize is the best place for that, and the Placencia Hotel is where to do it. Their Staff is awesome, the resort is clean, and with security walking the perimeter, i always feel safe. I love the reviews about the food and restaurant. I have never had a bad meal there, not to mention. At least they aren't serving Chicken, beans and rice. Cause as soon as you go on the Hiking trips, Mayan Ruin climbing and or visiting some of the local areas. Chicken, Beans and Rice are all you are going to eat. The Placencia Hotel has great food, and great service. I have met the owners a few times and their goal is to offer the best that Belize has and make sure your family and friends are as comfortable as theirs. I highly recommend the Monkey river trip. you will understand how living in a jungle can be really tough. I love the Placencia hotel, and im trying to get down there for new years 2014.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Anthony D
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I we've spent a week at this fantastic resort and we've not experienced any single discrepancy. After placing our reservation we've been through some comments here so we've been travelling with the fear to be experiencing problems during our vacation.
Our doubts were immediately vanishing after the very first day of our stay.
We've been astonished by the luxurious gardens that we believe are maintained meticulously, the friendly welcome at the front desk and the attention they've reserved to us.
We've reserved a master and the room we've been accommodated was great. Big living with kitchenette facility even though never used. Ample bed room with king size bed full of light available through windows facing the big balcony and far beyond the gorgeous swimming pool.
Our biggest concern was related with the food. We've been through several post before were the comments were not exactly positive. On the contrary, we've been experiencing one of the most delightful cuisine in a long time. The touch of the French chef Mr. Laurence it's simply superb and he's really honoring to the worldwide known French cuisine. For some reason we've felt something was not matching the previous posts so we've been investigating a little bit and we've discovered he joined the resort back in March. We can only sympathize with those visiting this resort before that were unable to experience the reasonable improvement they've made.
A special mention to the other staff member at the bar, dining room and pool bar. They're always ready and attentive with a smile on their face let you feeling pampered. No request of our was not fulfilled timely and professionally. During our stay the number of guests was not so big. However we have to consider this is the low season and even if you go to the village, you don't see that much of people as well. As far we are concerned, this is a plus for us. We don't like crowded places therefore the level of noise and of shouting and screaming people was perfect! The village itself is an approx 1000 people village but you can find practically everything you might be looking for. Restaurants, small souvenir shops and places to chill out at night sipping a drink are available. We chosen not to take any tour....we're not that much into adventure but the staff at the front desk they were plenty of info about available activities and tour available upon request. The only disappointing issue was the moment we've been forced to leave this piece of paradise. We will definitely pay another visit to this resort.

Room Tip: The level of comfort and the complete lack of any noise at night wouldn't make any difference to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Michael W
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Place is nice, staff very friendly and attentive. I would say the only thing missing is an out door Jacuzzi, a nice beach and some music next to the fantastic pool and bar. It was very quiet while we were there, at times it felt as we were the only people in the resort... I guess some people would like that. We would end up getting bored at the hotel quickly and always drove into the village to hang out with the locals where the food, drinks were great. The rooms are very clean and spacious.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ARELYSC
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My friend and I stayed for 5 days at The Placencia Hotel and Residences in a 1 bedroom beach view room August 15, 2013. The room was basic but comfortable. The grounds are beautiful and very clean. There is a very nice large pool with swim up bar.

This resort is ocean front but the water is more like a lake, murky green and no waves, not even a ripple. I did not even go in the water because it is not clear. I did see lots of small jellyfish. This was disappointing.

The staff and management were wonderful. Very friendly people who did there best to make sure we had our needs met. They took us on a tour of the Mayan ruins, which was great.

It was a great disappointment that my friend and I were the only guest at the resort. We like to meet and mingle with others and we were totally alone. The resort is not close to anything so there was nowhere to go. No shopping, restaurants, bars, etc unless you go to Placencia which is about 20 minutes away. The resort had a shuttle that took us into town and back one day. It is a very small town.

The resort is lovely, staff great, but I wouldn't go back. It is a little too remote for me.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank hotmamacj
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I visited the Placencia Hotel on a business trip in August 2013. While the grounds and beach are beautiful and very well-maintained, I was a bit disappointed in a few things.

The bathroom in my room was small - beautiful, but small. It was fine for one person, but two would have struggled. And there were no towel racks; there was a hook on one door, but if two people used washcloths and towels, there would have been no room to hang them. In addition, the rainfall shower head was lovely, but the water pressure was so low it took 3x longer to rinse my hair. Water-saving fixtures aren't as effective if the showers take longer.

Storage - There was one small closet in my room, but it was short and wouldn't hold any full-length clothes. And it only had two hangers. In addition, there was no iron in the room. With heat and humidity at full blast, anything coming out of a suitcase was a wrinkled mess so ironing and hanging would have been helpful. (But then again, if you're on vacation - which I wasn't - maybe you wouldn't mind.)

Bed - The linens were high qualtiy and my bed was comfortable, but very noisy. As I moved at night, the creaking of the bed frame and headboard woke me. One of my co-workers commented on the same thing in his room.

Activity - If you want to lie by the pool or on the beach, this is a perfect spot. Both areas are luxurious and very neat and tidy. However, there didn't seem to be any other activity going on at the resort. Even the bar at the end of the dock was closed. Maybe it opens on the weekend, but if I'm on vacation, I'd like to enjoy some outside refreshments during the week too.

No complimentary Wifi - when traveling on business, wifi is a must these days. The Placencia charges by the hour for this service.

All in all - it was beautiful, clean and well maintained. But I expected more from a luxury resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the grounds and pool. Otherwise you might look at an unfinished and abandoned...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business