“Another look at The Placencia Resort and Residences” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Placencia Hotel and Residences

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Placencia Hotel and Residences
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Millville, NJ
“Another look at The Placencia Resort and Residences”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is our third year coming to the resort and we love it every time! Let me say that we are not coming as all-inclusive guests therefore I can't speak to all of the issues those folks are having. I think it is mostly a function of the "all-inclusive" mind set which has not really come to Belize yet like it has in other places.

The resort itself has five star buildings and grounds. It has a great location between the ocean on one side and the lagoon on the other side. It has happy, and super nice staff that we usually become friends with every year. This year is not an exception. Manuel was a great guy and helped us with all of our questions, and activities.

We are self-starters, so I never depend on a resort to entertain me. We would borrow a bike in the morning or a kayak, do that for an hour or so, come back, swim in the pool to cool off, and then maybe borrow a fishing pole and go fishing in the afternoon or just relax on the beach, etc. There are two shuttles to the village every day. One is at 10am and the other is at 5pm. All you have to do is show up at the front gate around the those times and you will be able to ride them. If you don't want to stay down in the village all day, there is a bus back to the resort at 12:45pm for which you have to pay a whopping $1 a person to ride. It is a decommissioned US school bus but was clean inside and a pleasant ride back. Just be sure to stand up and yell "Stop!" when you want to get off as bus stops aren't really followed at all.

I know everyone complains about the beach and to be fair I have never even attempted to swim there. It looks nice, and they have some very nice places to sit and look at the waves, etc. But the abundance of sea life: sting rays, jelly fish, sea grass, etc. really keep it from being the Carribean dream beach that an island would have that is encompassed by a coral reef. On some days the water is slack and clear. That is a great day to go Kayaking. On other days when there is wind, you get a lot of wave action and on other days the water can get cloudy. This is all part of what makes Belize great! You still have the ecosystem going full blast and not really messed up by our ideas of what a great beach experience should be (our own person swimming pool, sanitized and devoid of life). If you want to swim in something like this the resort has Belize's largest swimming pool that is right next to the beach. No jelly fish there :-)

We had some great experiences there this time. Riding our kayak just off of the beach area we spotted dolphins on two occasions. We got within ten feet of them before they swam away and left us. We also went fishing a couple of times off of the new pier. We got some shrimp from the local supermarket and that helped us catch six assorted fish from the pier. Then we took those fish to the chef at the resort and he cooked them up for us for $12 a person. They were excellent (snapper, and croakers)!

As for things that could improve at the resort, entertainment is probably number one on the list. When I envision this type of resort in my mind, part of it is sitting on a beach listening to live steel drum music or some other type of live music, wafting over the breeze. Live music and performers would make this resort so much better and if they hired locals would not cost very much. I would encourage them to only hire performers who are doing Caribbean type music. If I want hip hop or disc beats, performers in the US would do a much better job. When I am sitting on a beach in the Caribbean I want to hear Caribbean music and I want it on a Steel Drum or guitar, not a sad synthesizer. Even if it wasn't live, like on an ipod, that would be something to help the mood.

Activities:
Also, when it rains, have some type of activity that you can do with the guests. An activity director would probably be helpful, someone who could plan and come up with things for the guests to do each day, and especially when you have a rainy day to keep them from coming home and posting bad reviews of your resort on Trip Advisor :-)

Wifi- you should have a free option for this. Make it limited to 1GB of free traffic a week and most people would be happy with this. When you are away from home, you need your internet to keep in touch with family and business. Getting charged $50 a week just to do emails stinks. Another option would be to have a resort computer or two where guests could sit down and write emails to home. Just a simple option like this would make guests feel more relaxed that everything at home is fine and really would cost the resort much money.
It is crazy that you have to pay $50 a week for internet access when you can go to the village, sit in the BTL office and get free wifi even if you are not a customer. Or go to Dawn's grill and Go a small restaurant, and spend a small amount on lunch and get free Wi-Fi. This is something that needs to be addressed!

We love this resort, we love this area. We will keep coming back as many times as we can. If they could just iron out a few wrinkles here and there, it could take this resort to the next level.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kenwilfy
Julia291977, General Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your positive review regarding our establishment. We recently had a week of terrible weather and realize that we do need to have more activities for guests when we don't have our usual amazing weather:)! We are looking to hire or recruit one of our current employees to assist with activities starting with salsa lessons and volleyball on the beach. Also, when you are here next time you can always use our computer at the concierge desk to check email and surf the web. We hope to see you again next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
London, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

The food is never hot and very limited selection.
One snack per day at the pool at 3pm, gone in a split second.
A la carte menu is a joke, better food at your high school cafeteria.
Food on the buffet is very limited and not much of it, fruit is sparse and resort looks like its in trouble.
One night in the a la carte, all the women were screaming, oh just a huge mouse, staff were amused.
Ate at the resort just to south, food was awesome, it was not the country it was the resort with bad bad food.
Entertainment was limited to 10pm then they pack up and leave?
Best meal was on sun wing on the way home.
Beach is nice, as soon as you go in the water, mud from dredging, yuk!
Met some nice people there but they were = disappointed.
They want a imprint of your credit card when you check in and always ask for your room number when ordering drinks, how strange is this.
Local rep said that sun wing should not market as a all inclusive as it is not (Angie)
Please boycott this resort!

9 Thank BWalker939
Julia291977, General Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your trip, and are very surprised that we were not aware of this incident since we always have management in our Dining. Also, many guests approach me (Angie) the General Manager questioning why there are some items that are not included and I explain at orientation and when I am approached that we are not an "all inclusive" resort, but that we are included in many of the brochures and other written materials as such. I was made aware of this information by guests providing to me with various literature which does describe us in this manner. I always make sure I tell the guest that we are partners with the company you are travelling with and that we are working together to make sure the information that is being provided to our guests is accurate and perhaps we need to make sure the travel agencies are aware of this as well. If you take a look at their website you will see that your package includes 3 meals and 2 snacks per day not an all day availability of food like All Inclusive Resorts. This means we have to create 21 different meals selections during a one week stay in addition to the two nights of the a la carte. The same wings, pastas, pizzas, and skirt steak are offered on the regular menu with a few additional steak selections and both have an option for the catch of the day. We have since revamped the a la carte menu and added additional seafood. We hope that if you have the time perhaps you can message us privately with any recommendations for the areas you found you were dissatisfied with. Again, we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and wish that we could have made your stay more enjoyable.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My family and I travelled to Belize from January 14-28, 2013 and stayed at The Placencia. We are also in the hospitality industry and travel a couple of times per year so we really don’t like to complain nor have we ever felt the need to do so.

Although the resort is very well manicured, clean and the staff so very friendly, I have to say that we were extremely disappointed with the resort itself for the following reasons:

Rooms: Very little storage space for clothes in the rooms. We had to live out of our suitcases for 2 weeks, as the space was barely enough for 1 person and there were 4 of us.

Nightly Entertainment: or should I say the lack thereof. We were there for 14 nights and they did Karaoke on 2 nights and had a one man band on another night. There was NO nightly entertainment as advertised. Most of the time, we were in our rooms immediately after dinner as there was nothing to do. Thank goodness for the televisions ! This was so disappointing considering that we really enjoy the live entertainment that resorts normally provide.

Daily Activities: There were NONE, no entertainment staff and absolutely NO ACTIVITIES. This was extremely upsetting given that we had 2 children with us and there was nothing for us to do with the kids other than swim in the pool. One day, several guests got together and scheduled a volleyball game…however, it didn’t last too long as everyone was being eaten by the Sand flies.

Beach: The beach was very well manicured and cleaned every day. However, we couldn’t stay on the beach as it was full of sand flies. My entire family were bitten even though we sprayed with bug repellant. We moved to the pool area but were still being bitten. As mentioned above, we have travelled extensively, various times to different places in Mexico, various times to different places in Cuba, various places in Florida, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Costa Rica yada yada yada and have never experienced this. The beach water itself was disgusting. NO WAY we could swim in the water, COMPLETELY UNSWIMMABLE. It was dirty and when you enter into the water, you immediately sink into muck…gross!!!

Food: This was the biggest disappointment of all. ALL MEALS WERE SOOOOO VERY LIMITED. I understand that in having to shuttle all food out to the pier each day means limited selections, but this is ridiculous. For breakfast, they had a four slice toaster for 90 rooms which wasn’t working the day we arrived. After day 3 of struggling with the toaster to get it to work, we complained and they took the toaster away for “repair”. Four days later, my husband complained as the toaster still wasn’t back and he offered to go into town and buy a new one for the resort. The next day, the toaster was back and working. NO FRUITS (except for breakfast, we would get watermelon, pineapple and papaya) my children and I usually eat 4-6 servings of fruit per day, NO VARIETY, NO FOOD!!!! Just horrible. They also serve your plate and therefore, you would get one piece of chicken and everyone is afraid to ask for more as there isn’t enough to feed everyone in the resort. When the fruit trays were out of pineapple and I asked if I could get some pineapple from the second tray, the response was “sorry, we have to finish the fruit on this tray first before getting into the 2nd”…not impressed. Needless to say, we had to go the grocery store in Placencia and buy groceries to put in our fridge and spent another $150 on groceries. We also ate out several times.

Snacks: Again, the lack thereof. Never saw a morning snack and the afternoon snack…just an example: 2 medium pizzas to feed 90 rooms…ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Everyone would rush to the bar when they served it and literally at times push to get a piece as they didn’t bring any more out once it was gone!

A la carte: Food availability here was also limited although a bit more of a selection. However, they did have another menu for “paying guests” which I thought to be a little degrading.

12 Seater Plane: Although not a big issue for us, it would have been nice to know in advance that there was a connecting flight from Belize City to Placencia in a small plane. I know some people would not have boarded such a small plane and wouldn’t be very impressed about not being notified in advance.

Although disappointing, we made the best of the situation however, we do feel that we did not get our monies worth. We did go to the Blue Creek, Monkey River, water taxi to Independence, snorkelling but feel that we had to spend all this extra money to keep ourselves from boredom. In fact, we rented a car and drove to Belize City and took a water taxi to San Pedro for a couple of nights, which I am sure we wouldn't have done, if the resort had activities and entertainment.

Room Tip: Get a suite with a kitchen so you can go buy some food.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Lydia A
Julia291977, Guest Relations Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Our beach for the most part is an undisturbed natural habitat. Due to our location being near the river the clarity of our beach is dependent on the weather and the current. When it rains the overflow from the river causes the water to look murky while on other days its crystal clear. This is why we have a full time captain, dive master, and the largest infinity pool in the country. We are happy that you were able to experience this as well as our inland tours which is what the destination of Belize is all about. We understand that you are well traveled therefore you had different expectations when you visited our resort and understand that the company you booked with did not inform you about the commuter flight which I hope was a good experience.

Although, we have 90 rooms we only average about 23 rooms per week that eat from the buffet and therefore the quantities are based on the amount of guests travelling on the package not full occupancy. The fruits that we provided are the ones that are available and in season and had we known you were not receiving the adequate daily requirements for yourself and children we would have ensured that additional fruit was provided to you. Thank you for your positive comment regarding our grounds.
Oshawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I don't usually complain about little things but these went on all week.
Salt and pepper shakers never enough small but , not enough silverware.
Food variety poor, breakfast served late one morning, dinner late twice, once it was 1/2 hour late. Omlette station only once, every am scrambled eggs with cheese on top, bacon and sausage once, 1 four slice toaster. Home fries once 3/4 uncooked, not enough coffee cups one day, all meals luke warm at best. Approx 50 lounge chairs at beach and pool for 90 rooms. Small beach, small resort 90 rooms only. Ocean murky, muddy bottom. Beautiful grounds, fantastic staff. Forgot some people bothered by sand fleas, even thought beach sprayed twice daily. No activites during day, volly ball twice. no snack bar, gift shop, or internet cafe. WiFi expensive. Is listed as four star personally I say two. I could go on on and on.

5 Thank Alex E
It's unfortunate that you would not want to come back to our resort due to the few mishaps during the 21 meals we served during your week stay. I wished you would have contacted management so that we could determine why we were having shortages in items like salt and silverware these are items that should be readily available and full at all times based on our dining procedures.

Thank you for mentioning your concerns about the amount of lounge chairs available but we've never have had a situation where all our guests are at the pool at the same time. Due to the heat most guests spend more time swimming, sitting at our pool bar, or on the lounge beds located inside the pool. In the event that we needed more chairs we do have more available in pool storage. We do in fact spray twice a day for sand flies but we us a product that environmentally friendly, as not to affect other wildlife. The beach clarity is also dependent on the weather and the current. This is why we have built the largest infinity pool in the region and provide tours so that our guests can experience the crystal clear waters of Belize. The wifi is provided by an outsource company and although we wish we could provide free wireless to all our guests the bandwidth would not be able sustain.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Do not book through Sunwing if you do plan to go as you will only get 5 days out of the 7 days you pay for due to 2 days wasted on travel with their scheduling. They lie about what to expect at this horrendous resort. If you are under 60 years old it will be your biggest mistake to go to this resort. Where should I start ranting about this place. The only thing they maintain well is the grounds that's it!!! However the beach sucks and you cannot go in the water as there's every kind of creature swimming in it and the water is green and dirty and the sand flies will eat you alive. Food is very limited for a 4 star hotel that they consider themselves and the options are very disappointing. I have never been to an all inclusive where they run out of food. If you were not at the breakfast area by 7:00am there was not much food left let alone if you wanted to sleep in until 9:00am, you would not be able to get food at all I had to wait 45 minutes for them to bring out eggs when I complained. There were no snacks throughout the day and we had to beg the bartenders to bring out something for us to munch on while we were drinking. Their A la Carte had chicken wings as fries as an option and both days we waited over 2 hours to get our food. No entertainment whatsoever the resort dies down at 9:00pm. They do not even play music by the bar because it disturbed the old people that were around. Shuttle buses are limited and come at different times everyday so most of the times you would miss them. We complained a few times the Sunwing representative there she just said to call my agent when I got home, which I am still waiting for them to get back at me. Sunwing customer service sucks!!! On the other hand the hotel manager did not bother to come once and see why we were so unsatisfied. We went 3 times to try and get a massage at the resort spa and could not because she was never there. They canceled most of the excursions the week we were there due to a cold front so we felt like we were stranded in a desert, literally there was nothing to do nor did the management care to try and make our experience better since the weather did not help. By far one of the worst traveling experiences ever I am not sure who would leave a good review about this resort unless they are retired because it did feel like a retirement home with bad food. Be smart and spend your money somewhere worth it.

10 Thank Jasmina187
As you mentioned we had a mixed crowd of over 100 guests the week of your visit and therefore we wished you would have contacted management directly during your stay. We have management available 24 hours a day and we are greatly disappointed that we were not aware of your experience until your post. I'm not sure if you attended the orientation we have for guests traveling on this package because this is where we introduce our General Manager. During her introduction she informs the guests that she is always available and that she encourages guests to express any issues or feedback to her immediately.

This particular week we did have a cold front which defiantly affects which tours we can provide,and I'm sorry that you were not able to experience our marine tours.

In regards to our guests we do not discriminate nor cater to a specific demographic, rather we strive to provide an atmosphere that is enjoyable for all our guests.It is our understanding that the younger guests requested louder music while several guests requested the music lowered around the pool and our bartenders used their discretion and lowered it and I apologize if this affected your enjoyment around the pool.

In regards to the entertainment we provided nightly perhaps you were offsite during the performances as they normal end around 9pm during the week with karaoke on Friday Nights which ends much later. The food had become a common discussion point for guests travelling on this package, as we are being compared to all inclusives or other countries. We prepare all our breads, pastas and pastries fresh daily and the majority of our vegetables, greens, and herbs come directly from our organic garden. Perhaps our desire to produce quality food using fresh product had caused some difficulty with the timing but we can assure you that this has been corrected and the buffet has been revamped based on the feedback (i.e. daily omelette/egg station, yogurt, cereals, and fruit with every meal to name a few of the changes)

We do appreciate your feedback and are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay, as I understand that your expectations were not aligned with what we offer here; a remote location for rest, relaxation,and/or exploration.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

My family (3 people) travelled to this resort through Sunwing on an "all inclusive" package. The overall look of the resort is very nice. The grounds are very well kept with lots of bird wildlife and a huge Iguana. The reception area is dark with only a few hard tiled places to sit. The staff at reception were generally helpful. Our rooms were average, but certainly not over done (no artwork), shower heads need cleaning and very noisy beds.

The beach area was not very nice. The breakwall that has been built has made the water almost stagnent. There are no waves and it's very unappealling to swim in. (yes ithe beach had bugs, but it was very wet weather we had and sand flies love wet weather - the bugs are everywhere, so this is not the resorts fault and they do spray 2 times per day to help with this issue). Other resorts we went to in Placencia had nice beaches with waves....what a concept!

The main issue we had with this resort was the food or lack there of. We would not have starved for a week, but the options were limited and really not acceptable for a resort claiming to be 4.5 stars with Sunwing. Lunch one day consisted of spaghetti with no sauce, penne with no sauce, grilled zucchini and some "pork". The indoor A La Carte restaurant was small, dark and noisy with choices like pizza and spaghetti (with sauce this time). This kind of food is hardly what you expect from this type of resort. It was like food for the "all inclusive" people was a burden. Needless to say after the first day, we found other places to eat at outside of the resort...so much for "all inclusive".

The resort offers a few daily trips into and out of Placencia, but otherwise we were on our own to get in and out of town ($25USD cab ride each way). We rented a golf cart just so we had some freedom to get around, but getting to town took 40-45 minutes. No golf carts offered through the resort. In fact, the resort has very few amenities except a few kayaks. No hobie cat. They have a dive shop, but a very small boat. I chose to dive with another company in town.

Because we had rainy weather it would have been nice to have a place indoors to sit and watch the world go by or read a book, but this resort doesn't have that either. No common area to sit (except the 30 seat dining room) and the outdoor dining area on the water has uncomfortable chairs that seem to have been an after thought. If you wanted down time at the resort during the rain you could sit in a dining chair or in your room.

The pool looked nice, but we never used it because it rained a lot. It also felt very cold and there weren't enough places to sit. How about a few comfortable chairs with umbrellas by the pool??

We made the most of our trip because we're all very well travelled individuals and we spent time away from the resort diving and snorkling. We've stayed in 5 star resorts before, but we've also backpacked around asia and stayed in $12 a night hotels. We're not that hard to please, however this place didn't even come close to our expectations, the service levels were not up to standard and the staff although nice, were not trained well enough.

It seemed to us that this resort was built with a different purpose (like condos) and they turned it into a hotel when the condos didn't sell. Maybe we're wrong, but that's how it felt.

There are plenty of places in Placencia to stay that are close to town, there are some great restaurants too. We'd come back to Placencia because the diving is wonderful and we loved the people, but we would never stay at The Placencia Hotel, nor would we ever recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank taren311
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I think the best way to approach the review of our experience at The Placencia is by sharing the highs, mediums and lows of our week as we had certainly read all the reviews on this site before leaving on our trip, but simply chalked up some of the more negative reviews to people who may happen to be a little pickier then us. Unfortunately this was not necessarily the case.

Highs:
• Our room: we upgraded and had an ocean view suite on the 2nd floor and it was beautiful! Super clean, had a full kitchen and sitting area as well as our comfortable King sized bed and 2 TVs, I will get to why these were important later.
• The pool: also very clean and the chairs provided around it were certainly comfortable. With a fully booked hotel though, the early birds get the chairs.
• Renting a golf cart from Placencia Village: the cart gave us the freedom to come and go when we pleased which was especially helpful to visit the grocery store in Maya Beach, or to enjoy meals outside of the resort.
• The pelicans: these guys were super entertaining, especially when it was feeding time.
• The staff: all were very friendly!

Mediums:
• Resort entertainment: provided at dinner time, there was a mix of a one man karaoke act, xylophone player accompanied by young dancers, a Frank Sinatra impressionist singer and our groups favorite: karaoke nights x 2.
• This applies to the bars at the resort too. Because the pool bar closes at 6pm each day, one would need to trek out to the pier to get a drink, or visit the hotel a la carte bar (which in my opinion almost felt like I was impeding on the experience of those having a la carte that evening). In order to have a stocked bar in your room, you are required to pay for it.
• Wine: this one is a medium because although I thought the red wine was great, the white was not so much (I understand this is almost universal in the south for some reason).
• “Honeymoon bonus”. Although we did as asked and provided the front desk with a copy of our marriage certificate for proof of marriage and thus honeymoon, this only provided us with 1 bottle of bubbly brought to our room which unfortunately had turned (when we popped the cork the underside was dark and clearly the taste was off so we had to dump it).

Lows:
• The weather, although this certainly cannot be controlled by anyone; we had just one full sun day which happened on the last day of the trip. This is where the TVs came in handy, especially when it was simply pouring outside (I am not one to watch TV on vacation, but when you are stuck inside it sometimes leaves one with no option).
• The bugs: I am ashamed to say that I literally broke down in tears one morning due to the discomfort. I counted one day and actually had 63 bites, and this was only on my right leg! I continue to suffer several days after the bites occurred and only hope that the blisters will go away ASAP.
• The food: here is where I thought previous reviewers may have been on the picky side, but I was wrong. Unless you have a passion for chicken and rice, you may be in trouble. I understand that in having to shuttle all food out to the pier each day means limited selections, but if you are a vegetarian or like to eat healthy at every meal, this is not the place for you. My favorite meal each day was breakfast as an omelet bar was offered twice, and there were 2 mornings where there were pancakes and then French toast, but otherwise you need to like scrambled eggs; with and without cheese.
• Service at the a la carte: unfortunately this was very jumbled and the waitresses tended to get mixed up and confused on what one another was covering for each table. Food availability here was also unclear too with respect to how many dishes each person was allowed to order (appetizer vs. main etc…) and if you wanted bread you HAD to ask for it.
• The ocean: unfortunately it is very true that this is not swimmable. We went on several walks and literally saw an abundance of sting rays and jelly fish along the shore.
• The extras: if you wanted to have Wi-Fi access, you had to pay for it. Same goes for the gym. From what I heard from outside guests, they got this for free at their resorts or it was simply included in their package cost (we were able to get it Wi-Fi for free at outside dining establishments which was another reason to leave the resort for a meal).
• A personal low of mine on the start of the trip was the fact that the hotel placed my luggage in the wrong room. I am not sure why as it was clearly tagged with our room number once we had gotten off the 12 seater plane to Placencia. Either way, it was only my persistence at finding it, and help from Jose that got it back to me in the end.

To summarize, although I am glad that we went and saw Belize, we unfortunately would not return to this resort unless we were able to come and visit and use the pool during the day (although I am not sure if this is allowed as we dined with outside guests one night and they were almost not let in to make reservations for dinner that night…I understand and appreciate the need for security, but this seemed to be a little much, especially when income from outside paying guests would be welcome). I strongly believe that the cleanliness and overall maintenance of this resort needs to be commended, as do the friendly staff; but I am not sure if the whole all inclusive package is something that works well for them?

Room Tip: Upgraded ocean view room was a huge plus for us on this trip! We were even able to make some of our...
6 Thank Cricket33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Robert's Grove Beach Resort
#3 of 19 in Placencia
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to The Placencia Hotel and Residences? Share your experiences!