“Budget stay #1”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Manatee Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Placencia
Manatee Inn
Ranked #10 of 27 Placencia B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Budget stay #1”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

If you need more than a place to lay your head in Placencia then look elsewhere. Otherwise for the budget minded traveler this is perfect. The location is incredible because it is quiet and right where you need to be. The room can get a little warm without a/c but the rooms are airy and the ocean breeze should do you fine.

• Stayed May 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Czech first
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at the Manatee Inn while diving out of Placencia, and the family who run it went over and above in terms of helpfulness - we arrived and left at odd times, and they also assisted us with making out travel plans back to Belize City. They were the highlight, but the room was quite nice for a budget hotel. It isn't the ideal location if you are diving and need to be up early in the morning, in that there is some noise from the street, but a) we were there during the Easter holiday, so it may have been unusual circumstances and b) we were so tired from diving it didn't matter! It is an easy walk if you take the water taxi from Independence, and a very short walk to the beach as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Winona Lake, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very accommodating owners...Simple and very clean room. However, if you cannot tolerate barking dogs through the night.....Look elsewhere. The neighborhood dogs were the ONLY obstatcle....and after several sleepless nights we moved to another location. BUT....without the disturbance of barking...a clean and affordable stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed three nights here and it was ideal for the budget traveler in Belize. We had the economy room at US$30 per night. this room is the same as the other rooms but the toilet and hot water shower are round the corner from the room rather than en suite.

Keep an eye out from the bus for the Price is Right supermarket on your right and ask your conductor to drop you off by the manatee inn sign. Otherwise you'll have to walk back (20min maximum walk from the bottom of the village).

Supermarket and atm nearby and fridge in room is ideal and the room came with a 2 double beds, hand basin, towels, soap and a fan.

The highlight however was walking down to the beach (2 minute walk) at sunrise and being welcomed by manatees 5m offshore.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank robinemma
Placencia, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was impressed by the simple, yet elegant bamboo theme of the room I stayed in at the Manatee Inn in Placencia, Belize. It is one of the most affordable hotels in the area, and the cleanest and nicest one I stayed at while travelling though Central America. The hostess was very kind and accomodating, and I felt safe and comfortable there. I would recommend it to anyone travelling on a budget who is ready to stay in a place where everything feels right.

Room Tip: I am travelling alone, and stayed in the smallest room they had. It was the first time I stayed in a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kelly T
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was in Belize again on business from January 30th, 2013, through February 3rd, 2013. This time I chose to stay in the beautiful and exotic beach paradise of Placencia. If you have unlimited funds, it is quite possible to spend a few hundred dollars per night for accommodations in Placencia; however, I did not wish to spend that much. I was looking for something that was very affordable, yet nice and comfortable and safe; because the more I saved on accommodations, the more I could spend on other activities. The Peninsula on which Placencia is located is very narrow, and sometimes can be as narrow as a couple hundred feet in some places, so you really don’t need to pay for beachfront accommodations when it takes only a few short minutes to walk to the beach from anywhere in Placencia. I could never understand why anyone would spend hundreds of dollars per night for beachfront accommodations in Placencia, when they could spend a small fraction of that for clean, safe, comfortable accommodations. Why would anyone spend a boatload of money on a room that they will spend limited time in? The awesome beauty and tranquility of Placencia is best experienced outdoors, not from inside a swanky resort suite. You need to walk around in the fresh open air and meander around to experience the true essence of this Caribbean jewel.

I chose to stay at the Manatee Inn, and it is a decision I’m extremely glad I made. I could not believe how ridiculously inexpensive it was to stay there; I only spent about US $40 per night, and I felt like I was robbing the proprietors. The room was very clean, safe and comfortable; there was a fan and a small refrigerator in the room. There is not really a need for air-conditioning, because the breeze from the Caribbean Sea, which is about a hundred feet away, acts as natural air-conditioning. They also offer hot & cold water, lounge chairs, hammocks and a wrap-around veranda/patio on two floors. The proprietors are wonderful, friendly people who will do anything to make your stay a memorable adventure; they take care of the property and make you feel like a welcomed addition to their family. If you need supplies, there is a supermarket a few yards from the Manatee Inn. I’m still scratching my head trying to figure out why anyone would spend hundreds of dollars per night to stay in Placencia, when they could stay at the Manatee Inn for a small pittance, and use the savings to really enjoy all that Placencia has to offer; and trust me, Placencia has a lot to offer, but you have to be outdoors to really enjoy most of it.

Granted, if you are a millionaire with money to burn, and a penchant for showing off and telling your friends and associates how much money you throw away on nightly accommodations and how much time you spend in the in-suite Jacuzzi, then maybe the Manatee Inn is not for you; however, if you are like the rest of us who want to spend as little as possible for nice, safe, comfortable accommodations and go enjoy the awesome outdoor adventures of Placencia, then the Manatee Inn is just the place.

Whenever I return to Placencia, which I hope will be very soon, I will definitely stay at the Manatee Inn again; I just hope that there will be a vacancy to accommodate me, because when the word gets out about this place, it may be difficult to make a reservation.

Room Tip: Any room at the Manatee Inn is a good room, because you won't be spending much time in the room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank William A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Manatee Inn is owned by a wonderful family who were helpful and accommodating during our visit. We loved the location and found the rooms to be clean and well-maintained. This is a good deal! Next time we're in Placencia we will consider coming back to Manatee Inn!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Verity K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Robert's Grove Beach Resort
#1 of 19 in Placencia
Lydia's Guesthouse
Lydia's Guesthouse
#8 of 27 in Placencia

Been to Manatee Inn? Share your experiences!