“Excellent service, food, and views!”
Review of Maya Beach Hotel

Maya Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I took a day trip from our home in Belize to visit Maya Beach Hotel for a night, not knowing what would be available. Marlon at the front desk was pleased to offer us a suite called the Dreamsicle for $69 US that night. This is slow season, but what a great rate! It was well worth it. Ellen and John, the owners, took care of our every need and question. We had a little pool all to ourselves that looked out onto the ocean, as well as what felt like our own little house! The showers were strong and warm, something that you can't find everywhere in Belize. The food at the restaurant is beyond comparison, and the service is excellent as well. After several trips in the last few months to Placencia and Maya Beach area, I'm convinced that the Bistro at Maya Beach Hotel is the best restaurant in the area. The only sad part is that they are closed in September and October during the slowest part of the year. The rest of the year, if you visit this area of Belize, you won't be disappointed by the Maya Beach Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for the Dreamsicle suite or the two suites next to it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David G

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I wasn't a guest here, but my husband and I stopped in for a bite to eat in the restaurant. I went by the front desk to ask a few questions and the lady there was FAR more helpful than the front desk at my own hotel. I wish I got her name, but she was just great. Service was also great in the restaurant, with a view of the beaufitul beach. If I ever return to the area I think I'll have to make the switch and stay here :)

1  Thank HanBean
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited the Maya Beach Hotel back in May, and I have been thinking about this amazing vacation every moment since. John and Ellen were wonderful hosts from the very beginning- communicating with us via email for months prior to the trip so we could choose a room, book air fare, and generally prepare. When we arrived, we were delighted to see that our room and the hotel were exactly as good as described on the website. We chose to stay in the Hibiscus Room- the smallest and least expensive- and couldn't have been happier. It was literally ON the beach. It was also clean and comfortable in all respects, with a quaint private porch to watch the sun set from a hammock. Because of the way the shoreline curves, the area of beach in front of the hotel is very private and the hotel staff keeps it clean and well manicured at all times. There is always plenty of seating on the beach, and you may even be the only one out there because guests often leave on day trips. It feel like you have the whole place to yourself! A beautiful gazebo sits a few yards from the shore line and has a few hammocks, adirondack chairs, and rockers to enjoy the nice breeze coming off the water. The atmosphere at Maya Beach Hotel is by far the most relaxing of any hotel I have ever been to.

Even now, 3 months after the trip, my boyfriend and I still talk about how delicious the food was. On our third day, we ventured out to a bar down the beach that a few people on our snorkeling trip recommended. It was the only wrong move we made on our trip; bad service, bad food, bad atmosphere. Other than that, everything we ate or drank on our trip came from MBH. Between the 2 of us, we tried just about everything on the menu and didn't have one bite we didn't love. This food didn't just top our list of vacation restaurants, it is better just about anything we've had anywhere ever.

The overall friendliness and helpfulness of the staff is also unbeatable. On our first day we were given a fresh cocount just picked from trees on the hotel grounds, with a hole in the top and a straw so we could have fresh juice. Marlon took such care in helping us plan our day trips and adventures, he will even come find you on the beach if there has been a change in plans. Cederic served every meal at the Bistro with a genuine smile and danced his way to and from tables. John and Ellen are always on site talking to guests and managing the staff, ensuring the everyone has a good stay. They have established a truly remarkable hotel that I wouldn't hesitate recommending to anyone!

Room Tip: Nobody goes to Belize to sit in a hotel room! I recommend the Hibiscus Room- the smallest and least...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ILoveAGoodVaca
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We went to Belize in March of 2011 (sorry for the extreme delay in reviewing). My husband and I were in need of some great R&R and this place is just the place we needed. The rooms at the hotel are ok, they may need to be updated a little bit - but who cares? The view is amazing, the beach is great and the food is even better. The hotel has a lot of divers, so if you choose to stay at the beach for the day you will be the only one at the beach.
The first day we were there, sitting on the beach, and some of the wait staff brought us some fresh coconuts. It was a delicious and pleasant surprise!
One morning we woke up early and decided we wanted a cocktail early in the morning. The wait staff was a little thrown off by this, and said that their bartenders didn't come until noon, so they would try to make us drinks. The drinks turned out amazing and we were so happy!
The food is absolutely phenomenal. The best food that we have EVER had on vacation. We were going to try and explore some other restaurants, but after two bad attempts else where we just kept on going back to this restaurant and we were never disappointed. If you don't stay there you must EAT there!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JessicaEyes
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Overall we had a wonderful stay at the Maya Beach Hotel. The room was very large with two Queen size beds and the view was breathtaking. The location is about a 20 minute drive the tourist attractions/restaurants in Placencia, however we found Maya Beach to be more attractive and the restaurant at the hotel way better than what we had in Placencia. The hotel and restaurant staff was always very polite and attentive to our needs.

The only two cons I have are power went out a few times during our first night there (which was more likely across the peninsula and not isolated to the hotel), and I'm not convinced the AC worked - but in all fairness we did not report it either. Had we reported it, I'm confident it would have been addressed immediately, however since we were only there for two nights it was not a priority. The second night we slept with the windows open, the breeze made for extremely comfortable sleeping conditions so the lack of functioning AC was really a mute point.

On a side note, the drive to Belize City was under 3 hours - we left at approximately 7:15 am for a noon flight and had plenty of time to return the rental car, have lunch, and relax.

1  Thank Kelly-S-2010
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Just getting back from my 16th trip to Belize. Stayed at Table Rock (see review posted) for 4 days and had to get back to the beach; Maya Beach Hotel that is. I have been there several times before and I have yet to be disappointed in any way. The owners, Ellen and John, make your feel as if you are at home. We stay in the Flip Flop Palace, a small beach house only yards from the ocean, it's fully equiped with a kitchen but we didn't lite a burner on the strove, the Bistro at Maya Beach is always ranked as one of THE places to eat in Belize, over the years I have stayed there the food is consistently good and tasty. Exotic spices and flavors are the hallmark of Johns preperation, I think the guy could make an old shoe sole taste great.

The staff is first class, some have been with Maya Beach for many years and their didication to their job and to Maya Beach comes through. Ellen arranged some flats fishing for me and on another day, a dive trip for my wife and I, great guide and wonderful dive operation, (Splash). To me, Maya Beach is the best place on the Placencia peninsula, sure there is bigger and more lavish, but none is more lay back, restful, and friendly as Maya Beach.

3  Thank Lunicoonie
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We just returned from five nights at Maya Beach hotel. We loved the small, intimate, low-key atmosphere. We stayed in the Coconut room which has a bedroom and a separate large sleeping/sitting area. It was spacious, clean and well appointed. We also had a big deck area overlooking the ocean. The bathroom was small and basic but clean. The restaurant is terrific. We ate most of our meals there since it was so good and we didn't have a car to drive to Placencia Village (8 miles away). The portions are large so we learned to share and not order appetizers. Marlon was helpful with excursions. We did Monkey River and Cockcomb. Enjoyed both. Bring LOTS of mosquito repellent with you especially to Monkey River - the mosquitoes are out of control. Having use of the free bikes and kayaks is nice. The beach is pretty quiet especially since August is the low season but you can do excursions or take the bus $1 or a taxi ($20) to Placencia for "shopping", beach, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family