“Seven wonderful days at Maya Beach Resort”
Review of Maya Beach Hotel

Maya Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Houston, Texas
“Seven wonderful days at Maya Beach Resort”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We chose Maya Beach Resort because of the great reviews. We were not disappointed. Their customer service was beyond amazing.....from picking us up at the airport to arranging excursions and finally to the fantastic food. We loved the Jaguar room and the fact we were 50 feet from the sea. We were close to the restuarant and bar. Marlon aranged everything to absolute perfection. We especially enjoyed meeting and getting to know John and Ellen, the owners. The facilities are spotless and the people cleaning our room had to be ghost as we never saw them. Since we have been back, we have suggested Maya Beach to our friends. Thank you John and Ellen and Marlon and all the staff for a wonderful vacation. We will return. Larry and Melinda Woods

Room Tip: Choose the Jaguar Room. Fifty feet from the sea.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The location right on the beach is fantastic, the beach is nice and the food served at the restaurant is very good. Mamy reviews have centered on these points already so rather than re-hash what others have said I will make other comments that may help travellers.

If you are not hiring a car and like to try other restaurants Maya Beach is a way from the town. There are two other places within walking distance, Green Parrot which I would say the food is pretty average. Mangos is a bit further, lively and serves less fanciful fare than the Maya Beach.

The Happy Hour snack menu at the Maya is very good. We tried everything on it, fish cakes and jerk empanadas being our favourites. But the dinner menu could serve some simpler meals. Its a beach bistro, not the Upper East Side.

Room cleanliness was less than desired, the housekeepers spent less time in the 2large roomed lower level Dreamsicle than I have seen in a box room city hotel. Fridge was a bit dirty from previous occupant and plates were dusty. The linens were old, had a few holes and simply not what you would expect for the price. The beach towels provided were very worn and looked 6 or 7 years old.

In conclusion a nice place to relax, but some of the reviews are over the top here which makes one think. The hotel can easily improve, which makes one wonder why they do not put the effort in.

One curious thing is the owners close up at Easter...... A holiday where people can take time to travel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Rick B
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

Hotel delivers exactly what website promises and the food at the resturant is amazing!

• Stayed April 2012
Calgary
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My parents and I spent 5 nights here recently and I can't even describe the amazing experience we had. The staff were incredible, John and Ellen were so welcoming and made you feel like you were staying at your home away from home. The food was beyond anything I have ever had, honestly, everyday and every meal was extraordinary! The only problem is there is something so magical about this hotel you will find yourself not wanting to leave and experience the rest of Placencia and area! Marlin will organize anything that you need and was great. The rooms were clean with great views, they offer free bikes and kayaks. Honestly, its everything you would want, but don't forget you will be on Belize time, but then again, where are you rushing off to, you're on vacation!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Coconut room, very quiet and peaceful with a prime view of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank gerrardfan
Cleveland
Reviewed April 21, 2012

The hotel has it all - View, service, food, and location. The view from our Jaguar suite was amazing. Probably 50' from the ocean. Opened drapes in the morning and watched the sun rise over the ocean from our bed; another morning from the comfy beach chairs. Hands-on involved owners and quality staff can arrange many local tours or dives. We walked in the jungle and saw variety of rainforest life during an interesting Monkey River tour. I read in the swings at the end of the dock while husband enjoyed sea fishing. There is an Outstanding restaurant on property with a delicious varied menu that also has lovely beach views. We stayed 5 places in Belize and were fairly satisfied with all, but this one was hardest to leave. If you want a clean, quiet, environment, a friendly but not intrusive staff, and a killer view and restaurant - don't miss this one.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2012

If there is such a thing... Seriously, this place is incredible. Unbelizable as they say. Truly special. As a solo traveler this trip, I recently spent the most incredible 6 nights there. This hotel definitely has that intangible, yet palpable "it" factor. The property is a perfect combination of beachy, rustic, shabby chic and cleanliness, comfort and safety. All of the rooms have the necessities, including A/C. If you're looking for a TV, or any other sensory stimuli, you are missing the point. Trust me. The hotel surroundings are your stimuli. Enjoy it! I stayed in the Hibiscus room, perfect for just me. The staff is terrific. And John (chef extraordinaire) and Ellen (most gracious, fun hostess) are just wonderful. They were, along with all of the staff, genuinely welcoming and so attentive. Also Marlin, who was so efficient, yet warm, with all of the multitasking he does so well. .... oh and I can't forget Flip Flop, (quite the plump, yet still stealth like hotel cat)... The hotel has free kayaks and bicycles and a very handy shuttle bus which goes into Placencia Village at scheduled days + times. And I'm not going to elaborate too much on the food at the Bistro bc it deserves its own write up, which I'm going to do momentarily. The only thing I will say quickly about the food is... it's mind blowing! It was some of THE most authentic, inventive, delectable, finger- licking cuisine my palate had the pleasure of encountering! Maya Beach Hotel is beyond lovely. I will stay here again. And again, and again....

Room Tip: Just read the descriptions given about the rooms under the reservations header on the web site. They...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Miami-Cinderella
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My husband and I just spent four nights/five days here on our honeymoon (upper Dreamsicle room), and I have never had such a relaxing vacation. When I was searching TripAdvisor for the best hotel fit for us in Placencia I read many reviews of this property, and the only 'complaints' I saw were about rooms that need updating, the lack of blackout shades and TVs, etc. Save yourself some time: if you care about fancy rooms, blackout shades to block the sunrise and cable TV on vacation, don't stay here. If you're looking for relaxation, peace and quiet, and unbelivable food, STAY HERE! There are only about 10 rooms, and we felt like we had the grounds to ourselves most of the time. The rooms are simple, but you are right on the beach! And I personally loved the sunlight streaming in my room at 6am. Ellen and John are so friendly and attentive, and Marlin gave us awesome recommendations for activities and booked us on a great snorkel trip. We loved everyone on staff. The food was incredible, and we ended up eating at the Bistro for all meals but one. Be sure to order the fish specials! I can't rave about this place enough. It's close enough to town to take a quick cab or bus, but far enough away to avoid the crowds. There is no question that I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Robert's Grove Beach Resort
#9 of 19 in Placencia
Green Parrot Beach Houses
Green Parrot Beach Houses
#10 of 19 in Placencia

Been to Maya Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!