“No regrets- very spacious!!!”
other travelers have booked this property
Master bedroom/bedroom no:1 View of lagoon from bedroom
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Average
Master bedroom/bedroom no:1
View of lagoon from bedroom
Living room/dining room
Jacuzzi tub in master bathroom
Pictures from left to right living room,veranda,kitchen,master bedroom,jacuzzi,1of 4 other bedrooms.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Average - based on 12 reviews

Reviews from our community

GCastiner
Athens, Ohio
“No regrets- very spacious!!!”
Reviewed June 20, 2014 for a stay in May 2014

Don't know what the fuss is about this place! My family rented this place trough a friend who had visited in Placencia several times before and the place was very nice, held much to its description which I read when I visited the page. I was about to cancel after reading the reviews, but was told by my friend that she didn't see why the bad reviews so I gave it a try, and as it describes in the center of the village that's what it is,House is actually adequately furnished,I loved the Porch sitting out there it was really windy we seldom used the A/C except for nights when we had to close the two front doors that leads out to the porch.

We enjoyed the location especially My daughters, they went swimming every day as the beach is just a skip and a hop away, grocery store immediately downstairs, there's even a boutique downstairs in case you forget to pack sunshades like I did.

We met with the Owner Mrs. Merlene really nice lady who assisted us with every little thing we needed and was happy to do so, she arranged our trip to the cayes snorkeling, it was the best I must say, beautiful snorkeling at Silk caye in Belize, thanks Merlene, hope to see you and your dad again someday.

I recall one reviewer mentioning the stairs they are a lot but they are actually in stages one set of stairs are outside to the first floor and the other set takes you up to your apartment, the other set of stairs are those that leads up to two of the loft type bedroom so there's not that many that you would be overwhelmed by them.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I really loved the views and scenery from the porch, was absolutely breathtaking!
Traveling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Wayne C
Ontario, Oregon
“Plenty of Room - But Know before you go!”
Reviewed February 26, 2014 for a stay in January 2014

To summarize this review, this 'apartment' was not ready for occupancy. It could have been, but it wasn't.

The Good Things: Shannon! The owners daughter was fantastic. She did whatever she could do to make things right...but she was only one person. She is very nice and tried her best to take care of things. She came in once per week and did the cleaning, etc. An awesome young lady.

The place was roomy; and we had a lot of fun times in the month we stayed there. Don't trust the pictures. They show several shots of the same bedroom (poster bed, there is only one) with different bedding.

If I were to go back with a group of seven people, I'd rent it again....but I would know what it was lacking up front and not be so surprised.

The NOT GOOD things you need to know before arriving at this place:

#1 - 38 steps up. And being in Belize, they are somewhat steep. This apartment/unit is located on the third floor of a building "centrally" located in the village (more on this later). There are even more stairs leading to the 'loft' bedrooms and half bath.

#2 - Centrally Located in the village - Sounds great! But the "sounds" are the worst part. Located across/diagonally from the central bus stop loading area. Every morning, without fail, local transportation buses arrive to haul workers and students to various places on the peninsula. At precisely 7 AM each morning as the bus leaves, the driver gives two long toots on the horn, just to let everyone know that they missed the bus. There is an "Open Air" bar just down the street called Charo's (Used to be Barefoot, so I am told). If you are light sleeper, they don't stop playing music until midnight. Delivery vans and trucks constantly passing by making deliveries to the businesses down below and down the street.

#3 - The Kitchen Area - No hot water at the kitchen sink. I don't know if the dishwasher worked or not. We never used it. We had to boil water so we could wash the dishes. We had plenty of forks and spoons and other serving utensils....but the only knife to be had was a bread knife. So we bought knives from the store below...cheap ones that couldn't be sharpened. We bought more knives... We left them there so the knife thing is handled. Microwave was functioning and of a newer model (less than 10 years old I guess) The Stove/oven is propane - The oven temp controls may work but if you are baking in the oven, keep a close eye....its hotter than you think! There was some type of nest in the bottom part of the oven. We would leave fresh fruit out in a bowl on the counter at night, only to find some critter had eaten large holes into the bananas. Not sure if it was a bat or what.... Hardly any screens on the windows, but this is Belize....not a lot of screens on windows in general. All windows are the louvered type, some glass, some metal slats.

#4 - Bathrooms - We arrived....four towels....seven people. It made us all very close. Shannon quickly procured more towels. Hand towels arrived after a couple of days. No mirrors in the main bathroom down stairs or in the upstairs "Half" bath. Seriously, no mirrors. There was three small mirrors hanging in the entrance/foyer area so I took one of those and put it in the bathroom. No shelves. No hooks to hang robes/towels etc. (Towel bars yes, The master bath had no door on the shower stall (I only entered that bath once during the month)

#5 - Bedrooms - No shelves; dressers; my room had no closet; no place to hang anything. It had a small nightstand with one drawer and that was it. Doesn't sound like much of a problem except suitcases full of clothes on the floor and two scorpions were found in the southwest corner room. This is Belize. Belize has scorpions. We dealt with it. But if you are doing monthly rentals, give people a place to place/hang clothes.

#6 - Electronics/Wi-Fi/Cable TV - First week and a half....no TV. A few channels were 'watchable' but most were nothing but snow. The TV in the master bed room was finally turned on and the picture was perfect. Problem was the cabling wasn't completely connected. We fixed that and had perfect TV reception for the NFL playoffs and Superbowl. Belize cable is awesome. They were showing movies that were/are still in the theaters in the states. The REMOTE didn't work. Shannon tried to fix it to no avail. We bought a new remote. It didn't work either. The TV's remote sensor must be bad. Wi-Fi....The Wi-Fi was so slow that I had to turn off the 'chat' feature of Facebook because it would not load the page with it on. I could not upload any full sized pictures via Facebook. Email was acceptable unless you tried to open or send pictures. Go down to De Tatch or the Barefoot Bar and things would upload super-fast and without problems.

#7 - Other Notes: Ceiling fans still are not CLEAN. They have a large build-up of dirt on them. This was reported in the December reviews (which we didn't have prior to booking the place). Get a ladder and clean them! Simple fix. We were told that they worked on the dishwasher and that is when the kitchen hot water quit working in the kitchen sink. Come on...fix it before you rent it again. Hang mirrors in the bathrooms. They have a book shelf with a large assortment of books and DVD's. Thanks for the books. That was a nice touch. The DVD's.... we never watched a single one. No DVD player.

#8 - KEYS - Seven people....one set of keys. In the third week we were locked out a couple of times because the lower door was locked. (This too was in a previous review)

But here is the real bottom line. Upon arrival, we were truly disappointed in the place. But we made the best of what we had....with Shannon's awesome help. We all had a blast in Placencia and in that property in general. All of us on this trip will return to Belize at some point and all of us have stated we would return to Placencia. And if I were to return with a group of seven people, I'd rent that place again...although I'd would know what I was heading into before I arrived now.

The place really was a pretty neat place that allowed us to experience the village. It was close to everything Placencia had to offer. Fresh baked bread every day. Fruit picked at its peak ripeness.... awesome local/townspeople.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Centrally located in the village
Liked least: Simple things were not fixed from previous reviews - the noise
Traveling group: Large Group
Large groups
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Tallahassee
Reviewed January 25, 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Jan 25, 2014
I apologize and do agree that there are some things that can be changed at my property and on my listing for instance the 3 bathrooms were not meant to mislead anyone but was merely an error when creating the page because it did not allow for me to enter a 1/2 bath but was told it could have been edited at completion of the page, it was never brought up before by any of my guest as a result it was never noticed. Also the small grocery/ boutique / gift shop is all part of my propery and was looked at as convenient by by past guest. With cleaning of the fans,I can see how the cleaning lady could miss this, because the house has vaulted ceiling they would be overlooked from time to time.and if not for the picture from this guest I would not have been aware of a missing cover for the light fixture. The situation with the electrical was also looked at by the electrician and he gave my Daughter the report that everything was ok and there was nothing wrong with the electricity. The stove and dryer both use gas and there are 2 gas tanks which were filled prior to the arrival of our guest unfortunately there was a small leak on one of the tanks as apparently the gas delivery person didn't tighten one of them enough so my daughter turned off the one that was leaking which was the one to the dryer,when my daughter arrived the next day she was told the place was dirty so she cleaned again she did everything that was asked of her. I am aware that the dishwasher buttons for opening and closing was not working,and was not able to replace it in time as this dishwasher is a special order and would take some time to replace, There were no curtains on the bathroom windows only because I thought they were nice to let light in and as the house is high and there is no way for them to be accessible from the outside, Belize is a tropical country as I mentioned before and roaches and ants are a part of it, and as much as we try to keep them out unfortunately there will be an occasional siting.and with the constant rain that we were having the door did get swollen more than usual and again I opologize for this but nothing was meant or done to be misleading. Placencia is a small village and renting a house you would more than likely see other houses and people around unless you decide to stay at an all inclusive resort. Again my opologies.
CarlosGas...
Tallahassee, Florida
“Avoid this at all costs!”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 for a stay in December 2013
person found this review helpful

Our family rented this "house" for a week. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.Located in a trash-strewn area, above a grocery store. Owner was less than forthcoming about location. serious electrical problems. Dishwasher did not work. Owner's daughter had to come over and physically switch the gas connections, meaning we could EITHER use the stove or the dryer. To use the other necessitated our getting her back out, many hours later, to switch the connection....again. No hot water at kitchen sink. No cold water at bathroom sink. Window panes were completely out in several windows. Roaches. ants. Very spotty internet. Outside door sometimes took three grown people to lift and enable locking and unlocking, creating an extreme fire hazard. No window coverings in bathrooms. Not really three baths, 2 1/2 instead. No bathroom mirrors in two baths. We ended up renting another place for eight members of our family because we could not safely stay there with the electrical situation and the door situation. The owner is full of excuses and will not compensate us. We, too, feel like we were totally misled.

Liked best: Nothing
Liked least: Not a safe rental for our family
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Francine...
Denver, Colorado
“Comfortable and Convenient”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 for a stay in October 2013

My family and I stayed at this rental. Great and convenient if traveling with family; nicely furnished. If looking for a place that is close to everything well this might just be the place. Very spacious, good and up to date appliances. Not for luxurious quiet stay it's a house in a residential area and other houses in area along with businesses but like I said convenient.

Traveling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, we were happy to accommodate you and your family and that we were able to make your stay enjoyable.
Thanks
Merlene Martin
Miriam D
Adelaide, Australia
“Quite different to expectations”
Reviewed January 14, 2014 for a stay in December 2013

I was quite disappointed with this rental because it did not live up to expectations. Firstly it was almost impossible to find - even the tourism office could not help us despite checking the map on the flipkey website. We were looking for a house that was quiet (as per reviews), but finally through folowing up on the first name we were given of the person who had the key (which was th eonly information we had) we found that the vacation rental was a second floor apartment, above a supermarket with trucks constanly stopping (quiet?). The views, if you kept your head up were fine, but if you looked down you saw a rubbish dump ("but at least you can't smell it up here" was the response from agent!). The place had been readied for four, although I had distinctly booked for 6, the laundrey was locked until I insisted we be able to use it, and the remotes needed to activate the TV etc had to be brought round, there were no fly screens on windows, and there was no way that you could open the dishwasher, let alone use it. The front door was almost impossible to open or lock and we were given one set of keys for 6 people. The place is expensive for what it is.
I have now learnt:
1. not to rely on a small number of reviews (6) that essentially say the same thing and use the same words to say it.
2. do not book a property where there are no photos that show what the outside of the building looks like.
I felt conned and what should have been the highlight of our trip around Belize was the lowpoint.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: It was in walking distance to the beach
Liked least: the advertising information and directions
Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Jan 13, 2014
First thing I would like to address is the fact that this is a fairly new rental therefore the tourism office was not aware of our location, but with previous guests as well as with this guest ,directions and phone numbers were given for them to locate our property. With regards to the supposed dump a neighbor cleaned their yard and some leaves and trimmed trees were left for pick up by the garbage disposal the following morning. Our rental is a house located in the village where their are other houses and neighbors, unfortunately we cannot control our neighbors or the outside elements.this rental is for people who wants to be in the hub of a natural village setting,this is not a resort where the only people you will see and hear are other guests.This rental is always ready for 9-10 guest at any given time, my agent only asked because she thought there were 4 guest due to my last correspondence with her as the guests were not sure of their party's amount. The laundry is usually locked until the guest ask for it to be opened as this is where all cleaning supplies are kept, this is done only for safety measures for guests traveling with kids in an unfamiliar house. After a guest leaves the remotes are usually cleaned and put away, the guest ask for them and they were given to them.the My opoligies to this guest that they feel that they were conned.
Cayo District
Reviewed April 23, 2013 for a stay in January 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing