“Exactly what we were looking for!”

Green Parrot Beach Houses
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

So this place is incredible. The only problem was that we showed up a bit later than we planned, and Leo was out for the day and we couldn't schedule a trip for the following morning. We had a car, so instead he gave us directions up to cockscomb basin wildlife reserve for hiking (worked perfectly).

This place is relaxing, attentive, beaufitul. Leo is friendly, and attentive, but not in your face. My wife read about Jonny Cakes and Fry Jacks in our travel book. We asked Leo about them and he says without hesitation "You want Jonny Cakes tomorrow, we'll make them for you, no problem." It's not on the menu or anything, they'll just make you some food if you ask for it.

Everyone is friendly -- even the dogs. We took the kayaks out to an island off the shore one day, also fun...but wake up early.

The place is 7 miles from town, so make sure to rent a car, or be prepared for taxis. Placencia isn't walkable or bikeable.

We went to Mango's next door one night and they had a killer band.

All the cabins are great. They got hot at night, but with the fans and the breeze it wasn't bad. Honestly, just the perfect get away. I almost don't want to write a good review because I don't want others to find out about how relaxing and perfect this spot is.

Room Tip: They're all great -- but make sure to have a car rented, or plan for lots of taxi rides.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin_2828
ParrotBelize, Owner at Green Parrot Beach Houses, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

HI Kevin - We do appreciate your staying with us. We also thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review of your stay. We do appreciate hearing that your stay was "exactly what we were looking for!" This tells us that we are clearly describing our property on our website and on Trip Advisor. It also tells us that our personal approach to customer service is meeting yours and others needs and expectations. All of this makes us feel good and it makes for a great stay for you our guest. Now that you have spent your time (an money) with us, we want you to become one of our Repeat Guest Members. That will entitle you to discounts on your future visits to the Green Parrot. Until we meet again - safe travels.

There are newer reviews for Green Parrot Beach Houses

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Not your Hilton or Holiday Inn nor were we looking for these types of accomodation. The beach houses were perfect for the location and exactly what we needed - all the cottages seemed to have an ocean view; they had there own hammocks which was great; we had access to the kayaks and bikes; and beach was right there! We loved the simplicity and overall concept.

We only spent a couple nights but the staff (Isabelle and others) were very accomodating and went above and beyond to ensure a pleasant stay. Only draw back (if there was one) was weak WiFi within the cottages... But given there are no TVs getting WiFi is a luxury :)

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Dogwar007
ParrotBelize, Owner at Green Parrot Beach Houses, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2015

I like your title: A Break from the norm! That is what we aspire to be. We are not a typical "holiday inn" type of location. We are a Belizean resort. Individual cabanas, on the beach, open air restaurant, good Belizean food, (none of that fake French cuisine) great service, warm and caring people and a place where you can unwind. So come on back when you get tired of the hectic pace in the big city. Until we meet again, safe travels.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Green Parrot exemplifies True Belize. You are warmly greeted and made to feel like family within a day or so. My husband and I are used to a very frenzied schedule between work, school, and family, but the Green Parrot helped us check that stress at the door! Leo, Theresa, Isabel, Nicole, David & Linda all made the experience memorable, so much so that we have already talked about going back and taking the whole family and we have only been home a few days! If you enjoy personalized attention, then the Green Parrot is the perfect place to stay! We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patty H
ParrotBelize, Owner at Green Parrot Beach Houses, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Hi Patty - Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Green Parrot. First, we do appreciate your business and we are so pleased that you had a memorable stay with us. Second, we liked your description: "True Belize". We feel that that describes who we are trying to be. We do not want to be viewed as a chain hotel destination. We want people to feel like they are having a True Belize experience - from the accommodations, to the meals, to the staff, and to the tours. So many destinations are just the same old thing - big motel, crowed pool, and snooty staff. That is not our goal. We want to know our guests by name and understand what it is they like to do.
So thanks for your True Belize comments - and remember to come back and see us in the future as a part of our Repeat Guest Program. Best to you in your travels.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Green Parrot was one of the most charming places I have ever stayed at. You are literally on the beach and can hear the waves crash as you sleep at night and wake up in the morning. Besides the beautiful location and amazing view, it is the staff that really puts this place as the #1 location to stay at in Placencia. When I was there, the owner David and his wife Linda were so polite, along with their General Manager Leo who all tried so hard to make our stay in Belize an amazing time. After spending 4-5 days at the Green Parrot, I came back to L.A. relaxed and ready to get back to work. Thank you so much Green Parrot Family!

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hi Santor - thanks for your comments regarding your stay at the Green Parrot. We did enjoy the opportunity to meet you and to work with you to deliver a high quality of service to your Pepperdine University group. We greatly appreciated the assistance that the student group provided to us. We do hope that you may be able to come back and see us again in the future. Until then, safe travels and remember you are now a member of our - Repeat Guest Program.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Green Parrot offers an experience of a life time, I will be returning July 2014 for another week of stay. I can describe my stay as an organic experience where I was part of the nature....I sat facing the beach and reflected for hours watching and hearing the waves. The life style was simple yet extraordinary and fulfilling. I lost track of time, I was not sure if it was a Monday or a Sunday, it did not matter. I partially disconnected from the world to pause and to be able to reflect on my past and my future. Although this facility supports offers FREE WIFI, I enjoyed not getting on WIFI and disconnecting from the world while I was out there. All types of phones and services are available, GSM, CDMA, ATT and Verizon; however try not to worry about your world while you are visiting this other world. I can't wait to go back; my experience changed everything for me. I welcome you to experience Green Parrot; it will change you in ways that you never dreamed of. Don't forget to look at their 3 Green Parrots. This place is picture perfect.

The supermarket is a 5 min walk from the Green Parrot. You can fill up the fridge in your room with whatever you wish.

The restaurant is great, and don't forget to have a fresh coconut while you are out there.

The trip from Belize City is great via Tropic Airlines. You will fly in a Cessna Caravan Aircraft, fun ride. Be sure to purchase your ticket online from Tropic Airline’s website.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally exciting... they have Cabanas.... for 1 and up to 3 persons.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Ray - Thanks for taking your time to write a review about your visit to the Green Parrot. You said in your comments that you had an "Experience of a Lifetime!" Wow! Does that make all of us at the Green Parrot feel like we are doing the right thing. We would like all of our guests to leave with the feeling that you had. That is what vacations, Belize, and the Green Parrot are all about - Experiences of a Lifetime! We do hope that you will keep us in mind for a return trip - and remember you are now a part of our Repeat Guest Program. We also appreciate the support we have received from Pepperdine University.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The Green Parrot the ideal place to stay. Located right on the beach, you are just steps from the Caribbean. The cabanas are a bit rustic but very clean and tidy, with more than enough room for the two of us. And the outdoor shower was delightful, with lots of hot water. The many hammocks, wonderful on site bar/restaurant, bicycles and kayaks, lending library, charming gift shop, and free wifi only added to our feeling of being in paradise!

A special thanks to Edisabel for immediately making us feel welcome and right at home for the five days we were there. The owners were in the States and the manager, Leo, and his wife were also abroad, leaving Edisabel in charge of everything - cooking, housekeeping, laundry, answering our many questions, arranging a snorkeling trip for us, etc. and she did it all seamlessly and with grace. She prepared whatever we wanted for breakfast (eggs cooked any way we liked, home fries, bacon, fresh fruit, fried jacks) and for dinner (coconut shrimp, snapper, rice and beans, veggies, salad) and served us at whatever time we decided to eat. In fact, when I told her I had eaten and enjoyed conch ceviche several times since arriving in Belize, her immediate response was, "Oh, I can make that for you. No problem." And she did :)

And should you feel inclined to leave the premises, Placencia with its many shops and restaurants is nearby and very easy to get to.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Parrot House - just steps to the beach and a great outdoor shower.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I have done the Mexico thing, husband did the Tobago thing, Vegas, Bangkok and Dublin, 5 star hotels and castles, but nothing, NOTHING compares to the Green Parrot in Belize.

I go on vacation and never relax, I never have and thought I never would. I hit the Green Parrot and within 2 days I was relaxed. I had to asked my husband what this fantastic feeling was, haha. The cabins were exactly what I was looking for, Caribbean feeling without the Hilton feel but with amenities, the beach was the best one around and the staff. THE STAFF!!!! I have never, ever, ever been made to feel like family in a resort before. Leo (manager), Thereza (probably spelled it wrong), Nicole and (I'm going to spell this wrong) Ezibel and others are truly family to me now. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel special and one of the family. It was our 24th wedding anniversary and the staff decorated our table so beautiful I almost cried.

My husband and I talked about fruits they had on trees which we had not tried before. One morning a fruit drink was brought to us and Leo said "do you like it"? It was delicious. We found out Leo picked the fruit and made sure we had the juice before we left the island so we could taste it.

Thereza (gosh I hope I'm spelling it right), was an angel. She is friendly, funny and made me feel so welcome. She and Ezibel were very important in enabling me to relaxe on vacation for the first time in my life.

The cabins are spacious and have chairs and a hammock on the deck. We had an outdoor shower, though there are cabins that do not. I highly recommend the outdoor ones.

Housekeeping, who I swear were Ninjas, cleaned our room, even folded my clothes for me and we didn't see them once.

The beach is ALWAYS raked so it's free of sea grass, very, very, very few insects, nice dock to walk out on and the food. OMG. I HATE fish. I had fish about 6 or 7 times there. Words cannot explain how good it was. Ezibel and her sister are chefs, not cooks. What they can do with basic food is awesome. Fresh pies. Most times, our slice of pie for dessert was still warm as it was just from the oven.

Now Leo, wonderful Leo, his wife and children. Wonderful, wonderful people. You knew that Leo always had everything under control. You didn't have to worry about anything. He made SURE you were comfortable, if you had tours, that you made it to the tour on time,, etc. I have to keep focused and significantly multi-task in my job, but I don't think I could keep up with Leo.

The entire staff are very giving of themselves and their time. We went for 1 week and just returned May 8, 2013. I have already booked for Christmas and we're taking our two sons. I have found a home away from home and intend to try and visit as often as I can.

Oh, and for what you get, [I hope David and Linda are not listening (owners)], they could probably charge double. I'd pay it. See all of you December 22, 2013!!!!!

Room Tip: There are cabins that sleep 4, but are really for couples, but they also have ones that can sleep 5...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dar1465
ParrotBelize, Owner at Green Parrot Beach Houses, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thanks for taking your time to write a comment about your stay at the Green Parrot. Guest comments help prospective guests better understand the type of facilities and service to expect. Please come back in the future, we love having repeat guests. Best to you in your travels.