“Beautiful, tranquil, a bit off the beaten path”

Robert's Grove Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had a wonderful stay. The staff is extremely accomodating and friendly. Aniver is the best bartender/waiter ever. He is kind and funny and full of helpful information.
The resort is clean, well maintained, quiet and calm. I traveled solo and felt very comfortable. It is a small resort, no late nights and little to do after sunset, so if you want "action" this is not the place for you!

Room Tip: All of the views are nice, but there is something about the sound of waves! I was not on the water...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank B A
There are newer reviews for Robert's Grove Beach Resort

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had a truly wonderful stay at Robert's Grove! We stayed in a one bedroom villa and just loved it. The room had everything we needed and was located just meters from the beach. Our patio and hammock were a nice touch and the pathway was nicely lit for our walks home at night. The service was just top-notch for everything. The continental breakfast is somewhat plain, but it has plenty of quality food to fill you up (coffee, pastries, fresh fruit, and some sort of hot item each morning--I think we saw a quiche-like item one morning). We ordered espresso drinks and breakfast off the menu one morning and it was delicious (I would have another 50 pounds on me if we lived anywhere near Placencia and I could get fry jacks each morning... try them with honey... I loved them!) The wi-fi met our needs, although we were rarely on there other than to check our flight status. The guide who walked us to our room apologized that the wi-fi can be inconsistent and that people complain. Please don't complain--this is just a delightful place... so maybe you should consider trying to disconnect before coming here if you really need that much internet in your life.

As other travelers suggest, the restaurant is fantastic. My filet was perfectly cooked, but the real star was the fresh lobster (we've been talking about the curry lobster dish ever since and a special lobster and couscous was also spectacular). It's fresh caught spiny lobster and just out of this world. The curry sauce wasn't overpowering--just perfect. The conch fritters and table-side caesar salad were nice lunch options. You can see why the locals come to eat there. The drinks were nice fruity drinks for gazing by the beach. Not surprising, if you carry drinks out of the bar to take back to your room they will be in plastic cups and smaller than the standard glasses. The service was perfect. Not sure if the water was bottled or not, but they never charged for it and it tasted great.

We did two days of diving and were very impressed with the diving operations. Very safe, good equipment and a very capable team. We'll be back to dive again, hopefully during whale shark season. Unfortunately, it seemed like Blue Hole trips are few and far between, so try to fit this in up north before a trip down to Placencia. Our time at the resort had less than desirable weather, so bring a light jacket for the boat since it may be raining, windy, and choppy for the ride to/from the dive sites. If you're lucky and have perfect weather enjoy it! The vis was great the first day (75/100 ft) and maybe 50 ft or less the second day. The current wasn't too bad, but the second day had some pretty choppy waters on our ride back in (You may want to consider dramamine). We saw a nurse shark, multiple giant eagle rays, a pod of dolphins (on the ride back), large turtles, a very pestering/persistent ramora, and way too many lionfish. The boat has towels and a BBQ lunch was included (we had chicken both days and some picnic-type sides).

We flew in on Tropic Air and it was a short 10 minute ride from the little airport (probably too far to walk with bags). The resort provided free pick up from the airport. The town is about 5 miles away and about a $10 USD ride (the airstrip is between the resort and town). The conversion rate is 1 USD to 2 BZD, and every place we went and our taxis seemed to accept either US currency or Belizean currency.

The Mexican restaurant (Habenero's) was great food and drinks on the marina and Sweet Mama's had good, cheap Belizean food: a good chicken burrito and pork chop. Sweet Mama's punch is no joke. Really. You get a healthy pour of whatever rum/fruit concoction that is and it really can hit (or punch) you. There's an awesome Austrian restaurant, Danube, that's is a short walk from the hotel. We've talked about it ever since, I've googled recipes with hopes of replicating them (I've been home less than two weeks), and just loved it. I'll review them separately, but give them a try if you're staying at RG. We are now huge Danube fans!

The town had some nice souvenirs to take back to the folks at home and I also picked up some jewelry in RG's giftshop... probably a little expensive, but just fit the mood of a perfect trip.

The only drawback was a bunch of sandfly bites... Robert's Grove seems to meticulously rake and clean their beaches (perhaps with good reason), and I decided to go for a long walk down the beach (beyond RG's property) and ended up with a lot (literally over 100) sandfly bites on my legs and arms. I should have sprayed myself down with some bug spray but didn't even think of it. Based on my google research, they're often found near seaweed that's washed up on shore and sand... thus the name. I didn't even see them. My boyfriend, who smartly slept in that morning, received only one bite during our 5-day stay. They take a few days to surface before you really feel them, but trust the assessments that say that they are more painful and itchier than mosquito bites. They are. As a sidenote, After Bite (ammonia based) from REI provided much, much more relief than hydrocortisone cream. I actually had to hold off on writing my review until after they healed since I just couldn't write up a fair assessment without shouting about the sandflies.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor of a one bedroom villa. We thought we had a nice view and thought it w...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for the second part of our honeymoon January 9-14, 2013. Robert's Grove is amazing! We were upgraded to a one bedroom villa upon our arrival. We had a fantastic view of the ocean from our huge balcony. We were there during a quiet time for the resort so we had no problems finding room in the pool or a lounger on the beach. We really enjoyed the Monkey River tour offered by the resort. We saw a lot of wildlife and liked the boat trip thru the mangroves. The food at Robert's Grove is phenomenal and the staff are top notch! Each staff member was extremely friendly and happy to answer any questions we had and it was so nice to know that you weren't just a number to them, they really room the time to chat and get to know us and even had our names remembered by our second day! We were extremely impressed with Robert's Grove and would recommend it to anyone! I know we would stay here again if we return to Belize again some day!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have lived in Placencia for 30 years, I have watched Robert's Grove birth, growth and development to what it is today. The restaurant has always been a "refuge" for me; a place where i know i can get a great meal and service at a reasonable price. Well, today, after a long week of work, I visited the restaurant for dinner. It was grand. Good, wonderfully cooked food, fine service and very relaxing. They are still the best for an excellent, consistent and very well done meal! Everything was beyond my expectations. Thank you Robert's Grove.

Kitty Fox

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank French_Louie_Caye
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is a beautiful resort right on the beach, with wonderful tile-floored rooms, spacious showers, and a lovely porch or balcony with each room. The grounds are delightful, beautiful trees and flowers and many birds. There is plenty of seating out around each of the 3 pools and on the beach and the open access to the bar and restaurant made it so easy to indulge our hunger and thirst. The groundskeepers were out each morning, clearing debris from the beach. The Caribbean current brings in quantities of human plastics and other trash, but the staff did a great job of keeping things clean so we could enjoy walking the sands. We enjoyed our free breakfasts and they were kind enough to pack us generous breakfasts on the day we left, as we had an early departure. We also ate at Habanero's and at Sweet Mama's, also affiliated with RG so we could put our meals on our room tab. This provided a great variety of food, depending on our wants. The only reason I didn't give an "Excellent" rating is that the evening wait staff ignored me on several occasions and drink prices seemed very high. Other than that, I highly recommend this resort and will return there if I'm back in Belize. It was certainly the most beautiful spot I saw while walking up and down the beach.

Room Tip: We had rooms 10, 11, 12 and 16 right by the office and pool. Although it was quiet the nights we we...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just had a great dinner in the restaurant of this resort. Excellent! Much improved service, food and decore. The restaurant has been redecorated, and now has great seating in either the indoor or outdoor section. The wine list is sparse, and could use more quality varieties. We will certainly include this restaurant in our plans for our next trip to Belize. Dinner was well presented, and of very high quality. Well worth the trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Miami42
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Everyone here was wonderful. The rooms are beautiful, the grounds are spread out and offer many options, and the beach was a lot of fun. There are lots of toys to play with ... we went kayaking when we wanted, biked into town whenever we felt like it, and watched people take the mini-sailing pontoons out a lot. The diving was decent, but the only reason it wasn't great was because there had been a recent tropical storm and the water was a little cloudier than normal. Also, our dive group was BIG, so I'd ask to be with a smaller group next time. But the boats were state of the art and the dive masters were very knowledgeable. The employees at the front desk also made sure we were enjoying our stay. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ten_mitch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Maya Beach Hotel
#7 of 20 in Placencia
Belizean Dreams Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Robert's Grove Beach Resort? Share your experiences!