“Fabulous”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Salinas, California
“Fabulous”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

This was the third of the Francis Ford Coppola resort we stayed at. Upon our arrival we were greeted and treated with great respect. We were upgraded to a two bedroom villa, right on the beach. I cannot say enough good things about this place, it seems like you are on a separate piece of paradise. Everyone greets you by your first name, they bring you hot coffee and tea to your room every morning. At night when it would rain they would roll down the canvases that protect your room. No windows, just screens, but everything is very private. The beach is cleaned daily from sea weed. In previous reviews we read that the beach was not fun and that there was a lot of sea grass and nothing to see, our experience was so different, sure it isn't the crystal blue water, but the sea life is abundance. The star fish of so many colors, and live coral heads everywhere with purple and orange sea fans. It really is so relaxing at this resort and we have two children ages 12 and 14 and evcen they loved it. There were bikes you could ride to town on at no extra charge, you just had to have them back by 5. Truly a very nice and relaxing place to stay. Even our kids loved it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This place was absolutely amazing! I stayed in a beachfront villa and the rooms were large and beautifully appointed in Balinese style with a screened in lanai that overlooked the beach. You literally could step out of your cottage and in to the sand where a lounge is waiting reserved especially for you. There is no A/C however, I was never uncomfortable as there are many screened windows one can open within the bedroom to catch a good breeze in the evening. My favorite part of the rooms would have to have been the outdoor shower. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before. You walk out of your bathroom (as there is a magnificent indoor shower as well) and descend into a serene rock garden with a little lantern. My first shower in this paradise was taken outside, just after dusk, watching the stars. The restaurants were also very good, although I wish I had taken the opportunity to leave the inn and go into town for a meal. Speaking of which, the town of Placencia is wonderful! It is not too overrun by tourists and everyone is incredibly friendly. I ended up making many new acquaintances and even friends that I still talk to today. Insider tip: on Fridays and Saturdays (Thursdays, too, I believe) there is either live music or karaoke at a beach bar in town (I think it's called the Tipsy Tuna). I did not try out the spa services; however, I was told by many other guests that I needed to get a Thai massage while I was there. I did go fishing though. It was great fun and the guide, who was very friendly, knew the area so well. Thanks to his expertise, my friend and I caught three barracuda and a 25 pound Yellow Jack, which we took back to the restaurant that night. The Inn's chef used our fish to create three delicious dishes. It felt so satisfying to eat something you caught yourself. That had to be the meal i've ever had. There are many other excursions you can go on while you're there. I spent most of my time laying out by the pool or seaside (as it's about 50 feet from the pool) or sitting at the Beach Bar and making friends with the bartenders and guests. Everyone was so friendly. It was absolutely astounding! Anyway, there are so many more wonderful things I could share with you all, but I think you can get the gist of it. It is amazing. I fully intend to come back here many times. It would be perfect for a honeymoon or romantic vacation.

*Also, make sure you order the Rum Punch. It has homemade hibiscus syrup in it....incredible.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Placencia, Belize is a beautiful soon-to-be discovered secret consisting of friendly locals, beautiful beaches and the best snorkeling I've ever experienced. We were at Turtle Inn, FF Coppola resort for our honeymoon and would highly recommend the resort. The two best excursions we took were a 3-hr sunset cruise with Cathy and Captain Rob of Belize Sailing Charters on a beautiful Catamaran, with wine, stuffed mushrooms, and the best homemade shrimp ceviche and stories of Jimmy Buffet's dad to boot. The other excursion we thought was a highlight was going snorkeling at silk caye, the outer barrier reef. 1 hr by speedboat from Placencia, our guide Brian from Splash Dive Shop was so friendly and knowledgeable, and pointed out 20 sea-creatures we wouldn't see with our untrained eyes.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank suziowczarek
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 21, 2010

This is must stay, see, experience, everything about the place was AWESOME!!! The staff was perfect, right on!! Can't wait to go back...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Merion Station, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2010

fishing outstanding,food great we tried approx 10 restruants all very good ,great people, Turtle inn high end just the best,love the area .like COZUMEL,Mexico was twenty five years ago . when i read the negatives,people just donot know how to travel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank josephjverna
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We were married on the beach right in front of our room. The hotel arranged everything, to perfection.

The setting is magnificent, the resort beautiful, the rooms rustic Balinese luxury.
There is no A/C because the rooms are designed around the concept of natural cross flow ventilation, as you will also encounter in Bali.

The staff were sincerely warm and friendly, it was not just a "customer service" type of friendliness. The meals were great, and you can be as active or relaxed as you like.

We would highly recommend it, and we would LOVE to go back.

Johan and Anna de Nysschen

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johanden1
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 26, 2010

My wife and I were recommended this place for our honeymoon by one of her friends, and overall we're happy we went. When you arrive at the resort you immediately say "WOW' . The place is beautiful when you walk in. Everything is open air, decorated beautifully and not cheesy. Well done on the atmosphere.

There are a few caveats to our trip to turtle inn.

First, the bugs. They were pretty unbearable. Sure we're in a tropical climate, but I've never dealt w/ it in this way anywhere else I've been. I woke up in the middle of the night our first two nights cursing mosquitoes and Turtle Inn. You'll be in pretty good shape during the day, but at night make sure you have bug spray on. Do yourself a favor when you check in, and ask them to put a bug net over the bed, and ask for an additional floor fan, as the ones in the room don't seem to do a whole lot. Don't question the mosquito net, just do it.

Second, prices. Sure I realize that we're at a "fancy" place, and things tend to be more expensive, but it was a little overboard. We showed up with a bottle of duty free rum, and picked up a 12pk of beer in town on our way over. After mixing a couple drinks in the room for ourselves one afternoon we made some friends in the pool and decided to have some a few drinks from the poolside servers. I had 4 of their $22 local rum mixed drinks in about an hour and a half and lost my buzz. For $22 you should stiffen up the drinks quite a bit.

Third, food. This partially belongs w/ prices, but I'm giving it it's own section. The food at the resort is decent at best. There's nothing amazing about it. My wife and i consider ourselves to be "foodies" and love to go out for good food, and we didn't find what we expected at this "fancy" resort. Whatever you do, don't order the $40 fried seafood appetizer(insert fancy name it was given here). The food was over cooked and bland in flavor, and not a substitute for the ceviche they were out of. Sure there's convenience when it comes to eating at the resort, and we did it a couple times, but do yourself a favor and get out into town for food. Not only can you find better food at cheaper prices, but you can get the resort to drop you off and pick you up, there's no reason not to. Oh, and if you want to eat in your room or on the beach, that'll be another $20. A few places to hit:

Omar's Creole Grub - Great lunch shack on the side of the road, run by a 3 person family.
The Secret Garden - Hit these folks up for a great breakfast or dinner. If you go for breakfast, get the croque monsieur, you won't regret it.
Rumfish y Vino - Great food, great drinks, and friendly people. Probably the "nicest" place in town, with a variety of great foods and wines. Our favorite spot to eat in town. Tonight is our last night, and we're headed there.
Danube- Austrian cuisine done right by an awesome couple.

We were given 2 complimentary 30 minute massages as a gift for our honeymoon, and were quick to upgrade to 60 min. We scheduled them on our second day here. I was pretty upset during my massage and unable to relax. I wanted her to stop after 30 min. I will ever refer to it as my bonerub, simply b/c the masseuse somehow managed to dodge all my muscles and focus on my bones. When I asked the front desk to call and scheduled us massages at another place she inquired as to why we didn't use their service. I told her we were dissatisfied and she didn't express any concern or inquire any further. She said she called and no one answered, but today when we walked up to The Secret Garden spa, and told her the story, she said she had no missed calls from the day before. Interesting.

As stated earlier, the grounds are beautiful and very well kept. However, this comes at a price. Be prepared to see working maintenance staff all the time while you're trying to relax. I'm not sure why they decided to resurface the pool deck while we were sitting in the lounge chairs, but they did, and for several hours.

If you decide to go snorkeling or diving, use Avadon Divers who are a 5 minute walk from the resort. They are world class. Not only will they be cheaper, but you'll be on a brand new state of the art 46' diving boat, and not a little dingy that we heard others were on.

All in all, we had a good time, and a great honeymoon. Would we go back, probably not. Would we recommend it? Sure, but only if you're willing to deal w/ lots bugs, no AC, and a mediocre beach that's not really all that good for swimming. If you decide to attend Turtle Inn, do yourself a favor and get out of the resort. It's good for relaxing, and beautiful to look at, but there's much better food and fun to be had off the resort.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple